PDA

View Full Version : Certain words that have different meanings in different parts of the country.

bkm
04-04-2012, 01:16 PM
I'm a little board sitting here babysitting prisoners while the clerk is at lunch so I got to thinking. What different words have different meanings in different parts of the country. Take for instance the word Hoosier. Now if your not from St. Louis you will think I am refering to a good ole Indiana Boy, well not so fast. The word Hoosier pretty much means "White Trash" in my neck of the woods. There is probably only about 2 or 3 people on the board here that will know what I am refering to.

Here is a better explaination of it. I fall under the Jefferson County section as I live in Jeffco but don't consider myself a Hoosier.
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=hoosier

Anybody else have any words like this with different meanings?

fabiodriven
04-04-2012, 01:20 PM
I made the mistake of referring to a fellow soldier who was black as "boy" when I was in basic training. Being from Massachusetts I had never known of the word "boy" as being a racial slur. I was in Fort Knox Kentucky when that happened. It was the last time I ever called a black guy "boy".

yaegerb
04-04-2012, 01:27 PM
Hey Bryan,
Here is the funny thing. So I am going to buy Hoosier racing tires for my 200x and my fiance' keeps making fun of me saying that I will be a laughing stock of the family with HOOSIER printed in white letters on the side of my tires...I thought it was funny as well. Anyway, I totally understand where you are coming from, but the funny thing is before I moved here (to St. Louis) I thought it was an Indiana term. I always used redneck to discern the white trash. Alas, if you live in St. Louis and exhibit those tendencies, you are labeled "hoosier"...I think its weird.

bkm
04-04-2012, 01:30 PM
Ya, I bet that wasn't good John.

Brendon, I had a Mustang with a set of Hoosier drag radials on it and drove it to work one day. My buddies looked at me and pretty much said Oh how fitting.

atc007
04-04-2012, 07:03 PM
Bryan ,Bryan,,a Mustang???? I thought you were better than that.... lol

Swinger
04-04-2012, 07:17 PM
Me and my wife just had a conversation kinda like this but about weiner dogs. Some call them dashound and some call the docksuns and of course weiner dogs. Which is correct...I guess it doesnt matter as long as you know what your are all talking about.

JJMF1979
04-04-2012, 07:35 PM
they are called miniture dashounds technically

JJMF1979
04-04-2012, 07:38 PM
I made the mistake of referring to a fellow soldier who was black as "boy" when I was in basic training. Being from Massachusetts I had never known of the word "boy" as being a racial slur. I was in Fort Knox Kentucky when that happened. It was the last time I ever called a black guy "boy".

Nowadays no matter what you say there is someone who will think it is a racial term people need to get over it and move on, it's ridiculas I'm glad I live in Canada out in the country, less people to deal with

Swinger
04-04-2012, 07:45 PM
they are called miniture dashounds technically See there is name #4 but I know what your talking about, ha ha. If they are the minture what do the big ones look like, brawtwursts with stubbie legs. Either way I used to have one and loved her to death. She went everywhere with me and loved to fish. Before she died, fishing was the only thing that would get her moving....miss that dog.

Swinger
04-04-2012, 07:53 PM
What about foods. Around my way we call them gobs but down south they are called moon pies. Or halushki and some say halupki. Im sure ther is a major list for foods. Crayfish, crawfish, crawdads...

JJMF1979
04-04-2012, 08:16 PM
See there is name #4 but I know what your talking about, ha ha. If they are the minture what do the big ones look like, brawtwursts with stubbie legs. Either way I used to have one and loved her to death. She went everywhere with me and loved to fish. Before she died, fishing was the only thing that would get her moving....miss that dog.

Ya I have had a jack russell for the last ten years of my life and I love her But my next dog will be a short haired weener dog lol
I don't like the looks of the long haired ones

bkm
04-04-2012, 09:03 PM
Bryan ,Bryan,,a Mustang???? I thought you were better than that.... lolNot just one, but seven so far. I guess its just the Hoosier in me:D

Chazz of Blades
04-04-2012, 09:04 PM
Ya I have had a jack russell for the last ten years of my life and I love her But my next dog will be a short haired weener dog lol
I don't like the looks of the long haired ones

I've heard that most women prefer short haired wieners to the long haired.

Here's one, around here when something is described as a Beast, or something is called Beastly, it means strong, tough, powerful, things of that assort. It's used as a complimentary term. In other parts, it's a substitution word for er, "female dog of ill repute".

People put far too much weight into simple words. They're nothing but vibrations on the air that we associate with a meaning that we were taught, in whatever way.

Mr. Carlin said it best(Warning, naughty language):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lqvLTJfYnik

wisconsinite
04-04-2012, 09:29 PM
Here in WI we got things called "bubblers". The way i hear it, most other places the call them " drinking fountains"

We also got tasty stuff called boohya, available at chuch picnics and comunity events all summer long :) :beer

atc007
04-04-2012, 09:37 PM
Not just one, but seven so far. I guess its just the Hoosier in me:D
DAMN glad to see you investing in three then! I never had one,,just a bunch of 5.7 Camaros,Vette,and currently a TA. My buddy had a 86 Capri,HIGHLY limited car,,,,Blue and orange,,Mcclaren. I think he sold it,I'll have to ask. It was under 6000 miles : )

bkm
04-04-2012, 09:56 PM
Here's a thread derail, but what the hell its my thread anyway.

Here are some pics of some of my cars starting with my first stang:

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g248/bkm1168/d5e2686d.jpg
http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g248/bkm1168/HPIM0291.jpg
http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g248/bkm1168/011513010301011602200805073dac28e8d.jpg
http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g248/bkm1168/mustang137.jpg
http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g248/bkm1168/9634_12.jpg
http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g248/bkm1168/100_1497.jpg
http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g248/bkm1168/Picture272.jpg

yaegerb
04-04-2012, 09:58 PM
Ooooo, i am a sucker for a nova and nice collection of stangs!

bkm
04-04-2012, 10:03 PM
Ooooo, i am a sucker for a nova and nice collection of stangs!

383, dart heads, turbo 400 trans brake, ford 9" 4.56 gears, ladder bars, mini tubed, solid roller, 7500 rpm fun. 10.20 1/4

yaegerb
04-04-2012, 10:09 PM
Damn dude, thats rediculous. Heres a fun fact that you may already know. Chevrolet had terrible sales in mexico with the nova model because in spanish nova translates to "no go"....oops. Bet that marketing director got fired. But seriously sweet collection you've had.

bkm
04-04-2012, 10:25 PM
There is a part of me that misses having a car. This 3 wheeled crap is just as damn expensive, but so much easier to work on.

yaegerb
04-04-2012, 10:34 PM
Hear that...lol

DasUberKraut
04-04-2012, 10:37 PM
Me and my wife just had a conversation kinda like this but about weiner dogs. Some call them dashound and some call the docksuns and of course weiner dogs. Which is correct...I guess it doesnt matter as long as you know what your are all talking about.

try dachshund.

fabiodriven
04-04-2012, 10:56 PM
[/QUOTE]

try dachshund.[/QUOTE]

I was waiting to see how long it was gonna take for somebody to figure that out. Wow guys!

tri again
04-05-2012, 07:52 AM
What about foods. Around my way we call them gobs but down south they are called moon pies. Or halushki and some say halupki. Im sure ther is a major list for foods. Crayfish, crawfish, crawdads...

How many names are there for sub sandwiches?
hoagie, grinder, sub, poorboy, (sorry fabio)
x2 on the drinking water fountains in new england are bubblers.
soda on the east coast and pop on the west.

package store?

tri again
04-05-2012, 07:56 AM
Damn dude, thats rediculous. Heres a fun fact that you may already know. Chevrolet had terrible sales in mexico with the nova model because in spanish nova translates to "no go"....oops. Bet that marketing director got fired. But seriously sweet collection you've had.

Didn't someone also try to 1/2 a v8 or v6 that simply wouldn't work?
I remember that nova story too.
I think coca cola translated into some asian language is something about a toad.
There's gotta be many more too.
Marketing disasters.

fabiodriven
04-05-2012, 09:08 AM
I think it's the worst out here being so close to Boston. When I joined the army nobody could understand what I was saying. The guys from California could understand the guys from Mississippi and the guys from North Dakota could understand the guys from Texas and everything in between. Nobody knew what the hell I was saying though.

The "Bubbler" thing is true. That's just always what we call them.

Old people around here call soda "tonic" sometimes, although I hear that less and less.

Here's one I was wondering about. Does anyone use the word "seldom"? I seldom use it, but I hear a lot of older people using it and was wondering if that's a regional thing.

What's funny is to hear people constantly saying Boston-type things in full blown Boston accents and they have no idea how stereotypical they are. I've traveled the world and spent a lot more time out of country than a lot of people I know so I always hear it, even from my girlfriend. I had a mechanic in my shop earlier this week and we were discussing working on cars. He was describing something he had done and he broke out with the the thickest "WICKED HAAAAD" (very hard) I had heard in a long time, and he was dead serious. That's just how we talk. I almost called him out on it, but I live here too. Lol

rdlsz24
04-05-2012, 01:16 PM
I live here in IL and a few years back this couple from Maine moved into the condo next to us. I about cracked up talking to that guy. He found out I had an Atic Caaat sled and was stoked since he had one back in Maine.

Rob

willreed03
04-05-2012, 01:33 PM
Here in WI we got things called "bubblers". The way i hear it, most other places the call them " drinking fountains"

We also got tasty stuff called boohya, available at chuch picnics and comunity events all summer long :) :beer

A bubbler? Around here a bubbler is a type of smoking device...and a drinking fountain is well...a drinking fountain ;) and pop is a sugary drink and soda is used to bake. And tonic goes in your alcoholic drink of course!

And of course a hoosier is a good ole IN boy!

And our main HQ is located in Billerica so I deal with a lot of you's guys that talk about their caaaaaa's and how they have trouble pronouncing their R's :D

Personally I'm a sucker for a girl from the south, TN, KY, GA, with a nice healthy accent :)

D-dub
04-05-2012, 03:07 PM
Heres one, In most of western Canada a Northern Pike is referred to as a Jackfish or gator, and a Walleye is commonly called a pickerel.

fabiodriven
04-05-2012, 03:33 PM
We have Pickerel here. Are those Walleyes?

tri again
04-05-2012, 03:34 PM
Heres one, In most of western Canada a Northern Pike is referred to as a Jackfish or gator, and a Walleye is commonly called a pickerel.

Haven't heard pickerel in a long time. Baby cousin of the muskelunge?

Hey, what's the deal on those jumping carp anyway?
History channel says they were imported from Germany around the turn of the (last) century as a food source
but they eat everything and nobody wants to catch or eat them?

new yawk has no 'R's but chinar does.
and de eeeh fawse has airplanes.

so? nothin' on the package store or packy on the way to the patty? (or potty)

just ben
04-06-2012, 12:10 AM
Packy = beer store in new england. only open until 8 and forget about it on Sunday. there's another one, the retarded alcohol laws from state to state. I think it was indiana you can buy beer at grocery store but only cold beer at a liquor store. or pa that sells six packs over the bar but had to go to a beer store for more than that. CO. sells beer at any store but it's near beer(no more than 3.2%) but go next door to to a bar or liquor store and get real beer

tri again
04-06-2012, 12:47 AM
Mass blue laws still around?
all stores close on sunday?
We'd run to Ct or NY as I recall.
Back in the day NY drinking laws were 18 so lots o' kids crashed driving 'home' from drinking in NY.

Oh, and someplace near NYC bars could sell beer to go but it had to be in a bucket and not bottles or cans.
But liquor / beer stores were open Sundays.

This thread may go on for a while.

fabiodriven
04-06-2012, 02:20 PM
Yep, "packy" is the word for the liquor store. It's short for "package store".

No more blue laws here. They've been gone for a number of years now. You can absolutely buy alcohol on Sundays (after noon).

atc007
04-06-2012, 07:11 PM
Beautiful line up of steeds there Bryan! I like the red one,,and of course the bowtie : )

Thorpe
04-06-2012, 11:42 PM
The packy! We have one that I know of here in MN, Package Liquors.

Thorpe
04-06-2012, 11:49 PM

What about cottages? Here in MN, its called a cabin!

mohadib
04-07-2012, 12:14 AM
When I say commode outside of Texas people have no clue what I'm talking about.