PDA

View Full Version : atc 250r rebuilding advice

lightemup01
04-04-2012, 07:16 PM
guys i am looking to rebuild my 85r. it is bone stock and has a slight knock and doesnt seem like it rips as it should. i went up to a local motorcycle shop and the guy wants me to bring him my motor for him to take apart and see whats wrong. i told him i wanted to put a new jug on it(310 kit) and he seemed like he was pushing me away from this. do you guys think i should go with the 310 kit or just have this guy rebuild it to stock and put on a good pipe/ air box eliminator/ carb/ and maybe a rad valve. or just have him rebuild just the bottom end and order the 310 kit and put it on?? what do yall think?

falloutboy
04-05-2012, 01:12 AM
Sounds like your mechanic isn't comfortable with doing mods/upgrades. Maybe find somewhere that is more performance oriented.

just my $0.02

lightemup01
04-06-2012, 03:20 PM
well i want to do the esr kit myself and i just wanted him to put a new rod kit on the crank but he wants to do the whole motor so its ready to go and i guess nothing can go wrong on his end. but im debating on wether to just have him rebnuild it with no esr kit and just put a good pipe and carb on it?

falloutboy
04-08-2012, 03:27 AM
If you can split the cases, pull the crank and just take that to him. I would tell him that you're on a budget and and want to save some $ by doing the majority of the work yourself. I did exactly that at with my Tecate engine. I knew how to disassemble and assemble the lower end and just took in the bare crank. They put in a new connecting rod kit in for $90 (1.5 hours)

CrazyPollock
04-08-2012, 10:04 PM
A lot of mechanics prefer to do all the work out of the fear that the guy at home will screw something up royally, then come back and blame it on the mechanic. Best thing to do is find someone you trust to do the work, and someone who trusts you...