PDA

View Full Version : Picked up the Tri Z!

CTPATRIOT
04-05-2012, 07:28 AM
1985 model,good base for a resto project.It sat for a long time with a blown engine,the guy i purchased it from rebuilt it over the winter.New Hot Rods crank and rod,LA sleeve liner kit to stock bore,all new bearings,seals,gaskets ect...Also new DG pipe(guy painted..)It starts right up,runs and shifts good.Frame,swingarm and axle are in good shape.Forks are nice,rear shock is junk.Fenders are also headed for the dumpster.Headlight is nice,saves me from having to get one!Not many Z's for sale around here so the pickings were slim,ended up getting it for $900-.

Tri-Z 250
04-05-2012, 10:59 AM
Welcome and nice grab for the price. Blown rear is the most common fail. Well next to a blown(topend) motor do to waterpump seal failure. Sounds like the guy got his parts money back and your the benifactor of his labor. Go check out the Frankinshock artical(good read)on the HOME pg...scroll down you'll see it. Aftermarket rears can run anywhere between 800-1250. Some just just opt to throw a Warrior off Ebay in there...kinda get what you pay for type item. Enjoy

Not that you need any but also search the thread interchangable parts for the Z and the 3WWstore for sliders and other products avalible.

CTPATRIOT
04-05-2012, 12:00 PM
I'm thinking the Warrior shock will be the way to go for me,saw some super clean looking ones on ebay for not too much.They guy was gonna restore it,but ran into money problems and put the engine back in just to sell it.He wanted to get the money back he invested,less the purchase of the machine.I'd like to restore it with a few period correct bolt ons,so it looks like the "80's!Anybody know of a spray paint close to the factory yellow?I want to redo the headlight plastic.Also,was the black on that gloss,satin???Started the teardown today,will do some more tomorrow...

crewcab71
05-28-2012, 12:49 AM
Looks like you got a pretty good deal. Cant wait to see it all done.

mx250r91
05-28-2012, 08:44 AM
Looks like a nice machine to start with, should be amazing when done.