PDA

View Full Version : 250sx coil issue can't figure it out!

PDR616
04-05-2012, 10:15 AM
Alright so my 85 250 has been acting up and i cant figure out what is wrong with it. It starts up and runs great but as soon as It warms up (takes about 1-2 minutes) and starts to backfire and pop and basically just bogs down and dies. After that its a real pain in the ass to get running again. I started checking out my wiring harness and what I figured out is that when its running and I literally poke the connection on the cdi it dies right out, and then I wiggle it again and it'll start back up, anyone have this problem before?! I really don't want to get rid of it! I think its the connection on the cdi itself? Any help would be appreciated thanks!

tri again
04-05-2012, 04:10 PM
www.dratv.com aka beatrice cycle has connector kits cheap.
specific for cdi units to either fix them or make them fit other engines.

Is there any way to clean the connections and maybe use some di electric grease?
There are 2 kinds.
One type waterproofs connections and is NOT conductive, so you need good clean connections to start with.
and the other IS conductive but may cross talk between wires if there's enough in a multi connector.

Be Glad you found it. I usually hit components with a hairdryer when the engine is running to see what craps out
when whatever part gets hot.

Maybe the connector insiude the cdi plug is getting pushed back inTO the plug
and not connecting well.

Also think dratv has cdi units for like 20 bucks but it could be the plug.

PDR616
04-06-2012, 10:05 AM
Yeah I did try di-electric, it didn't seem to work. I believe it IS the connector on the cdi itself. I'd like to try another cdi to be sure thats the problem before I buy one. Is there other machines that use the same cdi? Thanks Erik

tri again
04-06-2012, 02:55 PM
Yeah I did try di-electric, it didn't seem to work. I believe it IS the connector on the cdi itself. I'd like to try another cdi to be sure thats the problem before I buy one. Is there other machines that use the same cdi? Thanks Erik

ok so?
are you pretty sure that the connectors aren't pushing back into the plug itself?
Sometimes, if you're real careful, you can bend those connectors so they pinch a little tighter
or take them out of the plug and connect them one at a time withOUT
confusing the sequence.

or
thinking that the connectors on the cdi itself are loose.
They seem potted like epoxy into the cdi box and nowhere to really go unless
it fractured somehow.

As far as numbers, www.dratv.com and other parts places will tell you what cdi units fit what
machines.

Yeah, sure would be nice to have a known working unit to swap.

I MAY have one you could borrow.
It's on a parts trike 85 es but I'd have to put it on one of my known working trikes to check it out first. and would probably need it back for when it's my turn to chase gremlins.

Also think I saw them at dratv for 19 bucks.

Either way, pls keep us posted.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oVItbSiBn5Q&feature=player_detailpage

WILL motivate you into keeping it