PDA

View Full Version : rant...broken glass

rjs89ia
04-05-2012, 09:41 PM
I just started riding again this week in my normal spot and everywhere I look theres broken glass, bottles, jars, crack pipes, bongs you name it. I hate having the get off my trike and take the time to clean up a mess of broken glass that doesnt belong where it is. I can only imagine what it would be like to biff it into some broken glass or how bad it would suck to cut a tire 2 minutes after unloading. If I had the time I'd sit out there and watch for every sob that throws a piece of glass on the ground and grab them by there hair and shove them into their mess. See how they like being cut to the bone and maybe open there eyes so the next time they think about breaking some glass they'll remember to do it in a dumpster or trash can. Does anyone else ever notice or have to deal with this problem?

ATCcountryboy
04-05-2012, 09:47 PM
I see it all the time around here, people just don't care about preserving some of the few riding areas(or any other public places)that we have left. It won't kill people to put their trash away.

wisconsinite
04-05-2012, 10:00 PM
I get a lot of that where i ussually ride. Not glass so much, but plastic water bottles,cans, etc. I pick a bunch up every time i ride. Drives me crazy, i,ve been thinking of making a "pick up your crap!!" Sign, but my luck i'd get in trouble for puting the sign up :(

badass350x
04-05-2012, 10:08 PM
I cant count how many times I have went too my riding area and picked up trash, bottles, cans, you name I have picked it up over the years just too come back an see it the same way! The one thing I will say AND always say is DO YOU WANT YOUR KIDS GROWING UP IN THIS ENVIONMENT! Not too mention us loosing our riding areas..

Seems too get some of there Attention.

rjs89ia
04-05-2012, 10:12 PM
maybe a sign that says anyone caught littering will be shot on site. that'd probably work here in arizona but anywhere else im not so sure. another problem here is that everyone likes to drive out in the desert and just dump their trash im no enviromentalist by far but even i wouldnt think about doing that like ever. the only things i could see being alright is natural stuff like bushes grass cactus all stuff that will turn to dirt in a short time i find it hard for mattresses and old swimming pool liners to break down in a thousand years. where i live was one of the biggest air training bases for the army back during WW2 and theres an assssssssss load of 50 cal bullets all over but that stuff was there because of a much greater cause.

badass350x
04-05-2012, 11:01 PM
maybe a sign that says anyone caught littering will be shot on site. that'd probably work here in arizona but anywhere else im not so sure. another problem here is that everyone likes to drive out in the desert and just dump their trash im no enviromentalist by far but even i wouldnt think about doing that like ever. the only things i could see being alright is natural stuff like bushes grass cactus all stuff that will turn to dirt in a short time i find it hard for mattresses and old swimming pool liners to break down in a thousand years. where i live was one of the biggest air training bases for the army back during WW2 and theres an assssssssss load of 50 cal bullets all over but that stuff was there because of a much greater cause.

Agree on the trash dumping, Have Turned many people in for that!

tri again
04-05-2012, 11:04 PM
We lost a great staging area to BLM land.

Abandoned gravel pits were perfect in every way for parking and staging.

Welp?
Glass bottles for target practice? where people park?
Stuffed animals shredded everywhere.
TV's and a 12 gauge?

When the mountain was on fire I asked if it was idiots throwing out lit cigarettes
and the fire captain said it is usually broken clear glass that starts grass fires.

All my trikes have one of those 3 dollar extended pickup tools from HF.
About 3 feet long and great for picking up even bottle caps.

Logging companies used to let us ride anywhere.
No worries and bang sticks were more than welcome.

No more.
Dead couches, refrigerators, and TIRES everywhere.
Guess it's stuff that costs money to throw out properly.

At least the state enacted a law that property owners are NOT liable for people crossing their land
on horses or bikes, unless they charge money for it.

That really has relaxed private landowners.

Also a good idea to CARRY a BLM or forest service map, registration, maybe insurance etc in case the pd
wants to get real squirrely and confiscate the trike.

Proper decibel levels and spark arrest too.

WTF happened to the good ol' days???

Dirtcrasher
04-06-2012, 04:18 PM
This is exactly why they shut our favorite sandpits down :(

With the majority of 2 parents work constantly order to survive; In many cases it gives children the time to be idiots.

I was raised to be good to others, and I have been. However I've screwed up a couple of time and can only blame myself for my actions.

dirtjunkie85
04-06-2012, 05:24 PM
Another thing besides the broken glass and stuff is nails.. From people burning pallets. Having the kids playing around and having a few come up to you and say look what we found and their hands are full of nails. That really pisses me off. People need to not only take care of the places they go but think about the kids that are playing around it!

Jon Boy
04-06-2012, 05:32 PM
litterbugs are the biggest bungholes. we used to have this problem at our local trails (privtely owned, but everyone was always welcome to ride there). it used to be well kept and had trash cans around in various places, but had been getting worse over the years. about 3yrs ago i spent a whole day cleaning, picking up trash and grooming the trails and gathering areas, just to comeback the next day and hear the owner saying no one is allowed to ride there anymore. he thanked me for trying to help the day before, but the damage was done and he wasn't having anymore of it. now i'm stuck with a 100x400ft riding area (city land). now i drive atleast and hour to my buddy's place or will have to spend $30 for an Ind registration to ride over there (will be getting one soon anyway).

damn littlerbugs Hoosier Daddy if you ever see or catch one, just roost them with that glass strewn dirt. :lol: