PDA

View Full Version : 1985 kawasaki tecate 3

zach8311
04-08-2012, 11:40 PM
Im new here to the site. Have had an accou t for a while but havent used it. Well got my first real trike yesterday. Got a 1985 kawasaki tecate 3. Gave an old honda 200x atc and a few hundred bucks for.it. Guy said it ran. Has had the frame powder coated. New front fender. Rear plastucs. Said motor was all new. Not even an hours worth of time on it. Has great compression. Got if home and messed with it a little. Got it to fire up. Ran good. Just needs some little odds and ends. Wanting different rear tires and maybe a different front?. Need a stock shifter. Rear master cyilinder is bad. Just little things here and there. Will post pics later on tomorrow if i have timr. Let me know what you guys think or any suggestions on what i should do to it to improve it.

just ben
04-09-2012, 07:40 AM
The shifter can be hard to find and usually go for 60-80+ for a used one. With the rear master sometimes if you take them apart and clean them real good they will come back

dcreel
04-09-2012, 08:20 AM
An early 90's KX125 rear master cylinder is a bolt on and the rectangular reservoir won't be in your way as much as the huge round oem one. You can also get rebuild kits for the KX master cylinders. The 84-87 shifters are all the same with exeption of the tip. Same goes for the 87-88 Tecate-4 shifter it will work too. I'm a huge fan of the Turf Tamer tire. I have a Dunlop on the front of my Tecate and it is a hugely superior tire over the oem Dunlop or the Kenda Front max.

http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w182/dcreel/IMAG0150.jpg

http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w182/dcreel/003-28.jpg

http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w182/dcreel/007-12.jpg

http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w182/dcreel/002-10.jpg

zach8311
04-09-2012, 03:45 PM
Thanks dcreel. I like those tires u have on the rear if yours along with the front. And ywah thats where i seen the idea for the kx rear master was your trike. And is that a tank cover u have on yours?? Do the look good on there. I was looking to get one to. And i heard u can use an xlr650 shifter. That they clear it right. Im not sure

just ben
04-09-2012, 08:02 PM
And i heard u can use an xlr650 shifter. That they clear it right. Im not surexl or xr no such bike as an xlr.I read that thread on kawiriders too. They "work" as will many other but not really a good fit. I know a guy that makes them for kxt's

zach8311
04-09-2012, 10:44 PM
Oh ok. Do u know what it would cost to get one?? Just looking for a few things. Messed with it a little today. Couldnt get it to run right. It has a honda flat slide carb on it. When i fire it up it would idle for maybe a second then jump to wide open. I wouldnt know what would be causing this. Any help??

just ben
04-10-2012, 07:21 AM
Oh ok. Do u know what it would cost to get one?? 75.00 shipped. jeswinehart bought 2,maybe he could put up a pic because I don't have any.For the other question does it rev and just keep reving or does it go back down? All my tecates rev for 7-8 seconds on a cold start.If it doesn't idle down It could be a few things : wrong/blocked pilot jet,float level way too low,air leak in the intake or crank. I would start with the carb make sure it has the proper jets and is adjusted properly.If that doesn't help,with it running spray carb cleaner all around the intake boot.If it has a leak the rpms will drop right down. Last if all else fails do a leak down test. There is a good thread here that shows step by step how to make the tester and do the test.

zach8311
04-10-2012, 07:49 AM
Ok man thanks alot. I mean it doesnt just rev a little bit for that long. It revs almost wide open like the throttle is stuck. I mean ive never had a tecate so idk anything really about them. But if it is suppose to idle like that for a bit then ok. It has a honda flatbslide carb on it. Thats how i got tbe trike

jeswinehart
04-10-2012, 08:57 AM
I will get a picture of Bens shifter(s) up tonight.
I had one nickle chromed for my barrell build , sure looks nice !

just ben
04-14-2012, 09:32 AM
I thought I had a pic of the shifters I can't seem to find it

jeswinehart
04-14-2012, 12:01 PM
I thought I put posted this picture of Bens product, maybe I did somewhere ???
But at any rate, here is one of the 2 I received. I nickle chromes this one only for my barrel build.
I poked around for the other longer one but have not located, yet.
The rubber shifter cover on it is one of my wifes products she makes and sells in the store along with sevral of her other items.

Nice part Ben !

just ben
04-14-2012, 01:49 PM
that looks sweet john,Thanks for putting the pics up

dksix
04-14-2012, 06:59 PM
I used a KX450F rear master cylinder on my 84, I like the reservoir and master cylinder being all in one. I had some trial and error making the mounting plate but liked it once I got it dialed in.