PDA

View Full Version : '84 Tecate ?'s

jpagel
04-09-2012, 10:20 AM
Hi, I just have a few questions on my 1984 Tecate. There simple questions but I'm getting ready for some riding this year and want to make sure it's ready to go. First off I bought a used DG exhaust (expansion chamber and silencer) for $65 shipped which I thought was a good deal and kind of suprised there was only one other bid on it. It didn't line up with the exhaust port too good and had 2 dents where it looks like it was hitting the head bolts. I also had to tweek it a little bit for the silencer mount to line up. Is this normal with DG's? and do I need a hanger for the silencer or is it ok to bolt up directly to frame? Next qustion is when I replaced the carrier bearings a while back there is supposed to be 2 o-rings around the axle that I missed . How important are these to have on? should I pull the axle back out or is it ok without them? I think I'm missing 1 on the front sprocket also? Last question; My stator wires were burnt through from resting on the expansion chamber when I bought it. I just spliced them back together with some waterproof connections. Should I have soldered these instead? Is there any big differance? Any help with these questions would be appreciated. Thanks!

Swinger
04-09-2012, 10:36 AM
As far as the pipe I cant tell you that just yet. I got one just never got the motor back to put it on. The 2 o-rings are probably dust seals and are there for a reason. Its not hard to pull the axle so I would put them on. The wires I would try like it is and if all seems well then pull them apart and solder them. Have you checked your flywheel out. They are known to go and could wipe out your stator causing you an extra $125.

jeswinehart
04-09-2012, 11:25 AM
About the exhaust mount Justin, yes I would recomend to get the proper rubber mounted bracket.
Highly likely the vibration will crack out the tab on the header pipe if bolted solid.
They are still available thru Kawi and used on many of thier 1990's dirt bikes.
Your dealer will tell you discontinude more then likely, just ask for the superceeded part. Same thing, only better rubber to steal adheasion
The 84 and early 85 mounts was rubbish so they improved them and gave them a new number.
If push comes to shove I have a exstra brand new one. I would need to call my Kawi dealer to see how much.

jeswinehart
04-09-2012, 10:29 PM
Justin, here is the number you will need to rattle off to your kawi dealer.

dksix
04-09-2012, 10:39 PM
John, I thought he was asking about mounting the silencer, not the pipe. Are the silencers suppose to be on hanger too? I've always seen the silencer bolt to the sub frame but I know you've seen what they are suppose to be, not the hacked up POS that I've been around.

jeswinehart
04-09-2012, 11:08 PM
John, I thought he was asking about mounting the silencer, not the pipe. Are the silencers suppose to be on hanger too? I've always seen the silencer bolt to the sub frame but I know you've seen what they are suppose to be, not the hacked up POS that I've been around.

Ahh, you may be right. Yes, the silencers also have a rubber insert type of isolator.

jpagel
04-09-2012, 11:18 PM
Thanks for the quick response guys. I was refering to whether the DG silencer should be attached to a hanger or if it can be bolted directly to frame with a rubber washer in between. I do appreciate you posting the picture of the actual part since what I have currently on mine looks nothing like that. The first time I took it out on the trails the bolt actually fell out and we ended up rigging something up so I will definately have to look for one of those rubber mounts.