PDA

View Full Version : A Bunch Of Old ATCs We Came Across

95PurpleHaze
04-12-2012, 05:28 PM
Ok so After I bought my Honda 200es last summer my cousin Wesley gave me trailprotrailprotrailprotrailpro about it, until he rode it into the first mud hole and when he got back he said "I want one!" well summer is coming back so he started looking. And man did he find a treasure trove of fun machines. We responded to an ad online about and old man who had 3 atcs, 1 Honda 4wheeler, and 2 go carts along with 2 extra atc engines. The old man Wanted $300 for the lot. We get there and they are in rough shape, nothing runs, but it's ok because we know that with some time and a lil money we can get at least one 3wheeler running, the 4 wheeler going and at least one of the go carts needed a new engine. My cousin pays the 300 for the lot and said he wasn't going to bid him down because all the motors have compression and spin freely. All 3 atcs were 110s, and the 4 wheeler was an 87 125.

One of them was in a barn that the roof fell on top of. We had to jack the roof up and try to wrestle the old atc out.

So we get them back to his place and choose the one that we think needs the least amount of work and start wrenching. Our goal is to just get the motor to start (none of them had chains) So we check the spark, it's good, then we tear down the carb and clean it. We put the carb back together and it was leaking but it was no big deal because we just wanted to see if the motor would start. Fixing the leak would come later. The motor wouldnt turn over because the plug was bad. So we changed the oil in it, and cut the old rack off the back.

fast forward to the next day, new chain and plug, we decide to pull the atc behind his 4wheeler to try and get it to turn over. Now keep in mind the motor was making a slight tapping sound and the carb was shooting out a fuel mist when we tried to use the pull rope. But since the rockers didnt have any oil and the carb was probably flooded we didnt think nothing of it. My cousin gets on the atc, I pull him with the 4wheeler to try and start it while he sprays starter fluid in the carb. It's night time and we get under way. I can hear the atc trying to start, back firing and sputtering. My cousin is shouting "Come on you old trailprotrailprotrailprotrailprotrailpro, you can do it!" well i get around his house and I hear him yell "Woah!" I see a light going past me and my first thought was "The head light came on.... It got fire!" I look behind me while driving and i see it got fire alright.... the 3 wheeler was on fire and my cousin was rolling on the ground while I'm pulling a flaming atc through his yard!

We frantically get the fire out but the damage was done.

The wires from the Stator were burnt, the seat (which was already crap) was partly burnt, along with some rear fender damage and the tank got deformed. We figured out what had happend. The timing was off so much on the engine that the carb shot flames right into the starter fluid stream and it set the gas covered carb on fire.

After taking it apart we see what the problem was. Some idiot in the past tried to work on the cam and didnt set the timing right, and the cam bolts were loose and thats the tapping sound we were hearing.

Here are some more pics of us working on it. Ill keep yall posted and keep the pictures coming. We are confident we will get em going, this is just a little set back.

95PurpleHaze
04-12-2012, 05:52 PM
Wesley ordered a new piston and rings for the motor along with a new gasket kit. The gasket kit came in today and the piston should come in by the weekend hopefully. We checked out the cylinder and it looks like it's in good shape, no scaring from what we can see. These lil 110's are pretty tough. After it get's going he is buying some new tires are she will be ready to go mudding at the camp with me. We are gonna get some stares from all the 4wheeler guys lol

thestud25
04-12-2012, 06:04 PM
Two of the 110's seem to have aftermarket exhaust.

95PurpleHaze
04-12-2012, 06:11 PM
excellent eyes you have sir. One is aftermarket and the other is like a mix of two exhausts.

vonlindheim
04-12-2012, 07:12 PM
great story :) i think it looks better after you shot it with the fire extinguisher. great find. $300.00 is cheap fun with all of that :)

hoosierlogger
04-12-2012, 07:22 PM
If you talk to the old man again, ask him about that boat motor. I have a Belgian made Mercury 20 HP that I need to find a carb for. I believe the motor is an 84 I would have to look again.

95PurpleHaze
04-12-2012, 07:27 PM
hey hoosier, that old man used to own a shop that fixed boat motors. What you dont see in that pic is that when I took that picture there was literally a couple hundred boat motors stacked up behind me. Unless you live close to Vinton Louisiana I don't think it would be if any help cuz I doubt he would ship.

hoosierlogger
04-12-2012, 07:53 PM
If you could give me his number I would call and talk to him. I would be glad to compensate him for the shipping of the carb. That is the only thing I need. You might call him and make sure it is ok with him before you give me his number.

I bought the motor a while back and thought it would be no problem finding a carb for it, boy was I wrong. LOL

yooperman
04-12-2012, 08:18 PM
dang that guy had a stash hidding there. i still need to get my 90's going to just have no free time or extra cash for them so i think they are going on the chopping block and be sold.

95PurpleHaze
04-12-2012, 08:39 PM
hoosier I can get his number from my cousin and e-mail it to you. He's a really nice guy.

hoosierlogger
04-12-2012, 08:47 PM
hoosier I can get his number from my cousin and e-mail it to you. He's a really nice guy.

Hey that sounds great. Just send it to me in a private message. Do call him and make sure it is OK with him first though.

thestud25
04-13-2012, 03:14 PM

You could do my buddy hoosier a solid by picking the carb up and shipping it to him. That would be cool as well as build you a little respect on here. Just a suggestion.

95PurpleHaze
04-13-2012, 06:30 PM
You could do my buddy hoosier a solid by picking the carb up and shipping it to him. That would be cool as well as build you a little respect on here. Just a suggestion.

I'm going to take that as a joke.

hoosierlogger
04-13-2012, 09:06 PM
I think what Jon (thestud25) was saying is I would send you the money and you go get it from him to save the old man some hassle. If he wants to sell it, he can take it to the post office and mail it him self IMHO.

It really doesnt matter to me, if he wants to sell it (if he even has the one I need) or not. This motor is a back burner type project any way.

That is a nice thought you had Jon, buy I dont believe it is completely necessary.