PDA

View Full Version : My 1984 Yamaha 200e "Yamahauler" Restoration

Griff747
04-13-2012, 10:55 AM
Hello, 3wheelers. I am obviously new to this site, but I have been on previous Forum Sites before. My 3 Wheeler is a 1984 Yamaha 200e or "Yamahauler" as I learned from this site. I got this Yamaha from one of my parents' friends, he originally bought this Yamaha when it was Brand New, and now it's in bad shape. He has not ran it in 6-7 years from now and wants to finally part with it. Now, I am currently restoring this Yamaha and would like some assistance as I have never worked on 3 wheelers, or even bikes for that matter. :lol:

Right now, the problem with the Yamaha is that we aren't able to start it up (I bought a new spark plug for it, and it still wouldn't fire up :wondering) and we think it may be because we don't have a battery for it, or it could be the wiring malfunction, not 100% sure. We also need to get the first gear into the tranny, apparently the guy who previously owned this broke the first gear in the tranny, and has used the 2nd gear ever since. But right now, we just want to make sure the engine can start up first, and right now, the more problems we fix, the more problems we get (as it seems so far).

Again I would like some assistance on this. Thank you for taking the time to read this. :cool:

JJMF1979
04-13-2012, 11:15 AM
did you clean the carb must look rough after sitting for seven years, make sure the jets are clear, is it getting spark, and is the air filter and box clear of obstructions

Griff747
04-13-2012, 11:34 AM
did you clean the carb must look rough after sitting for seven years, make sure the jets are clear, is it getting spark, and is the air filter and box clear of obstructions

Haven't cleaned the carberator yet, we did clean out the air filter and box. When you mean by spark, you mean the sparkplug getting a spark? No, we haven't been able to get a spark. Again, we think it may be because of the C.D.I. unit but we think it may be wiring problems? Again, not 100% sure.

muthey
04-13-2012, 06:17 PM
ok, for the record on these yamaha's, the battery only runs the electric starter. there are 5 things major to check for spark: grounds, switches, stator, coil and cdi. I would start with the switches, check the handlebar switch for major corrosion, and the key switch unplug it, to disable it's function. next search all your grounds for corrosion and pay special attention to the coil ground "the black cylinder that has the spark plug wire". download a manual here http://www.oscarmayer.net/atc/manuals/ and ohm test the coil. next check the stator for ohms, if the reading is way off it is more than likely bad. Finally buy a new cdi and try that. I am betting you will find your spark issue is in the switches or a ground somewhere. On a side not have you replaced the main fuse under the seat yet? It is a tubular fuse that will short out instead of burning up your wiring.

Griff747
04-14-2012, 03:34 PM
I still the original Manual for it, and I've been trying to gaze around each wires to see where they are located. Again, we got no battery for this yamaha at the moment, but we can charge her up and see if we can start her up.

muthey
04-15-2012, 10:26 AM
An owners manual and the repair manual that I linked you too are completely different manuals, or do you have a repair manual? and to check for spark I recommend two people and using the pull start, my 225dx's electric start doesn't spin fast enough to get a good spark when it's cold so try the pull, and actually disconnect wires clean and inspect them then reconnect them for best results.

muthey
04-18-2012, 07:31 PM
O.K. for one more time around. The only thing the battery does on your trike is engage and spin the electric starter. It doesn't turn on the lights, it doesn't create the spark, it only runs the electric starter and anything else you decide to connect to it. so no you don't need a battery to start the trike.

Griff747
04-19-2012, 10:43 AM
We got a problem, we've been trying to start it up. I looked in the Manual, in the Ignition Wire System in the Electrical Section, and it seems in order to get the ignition working, it needs to connect to the C.D.I. unit of the trike. I think the C.D.I. unit may be dead (or just not working). Or could be of the C.D.I. Magneto. :wondering

Honda200sRider
04-19-2012, 06:41 PM
Have fun restoring it! I had a chance to buy a yamahauler past it up because i wasnt a fun of yamaha's I should of got it!

Griff747
04-20-2012, 01:35 PM
Have fun restoring it! I had a chance to buy a yamahauler past it up because i wasnt a fun of yamaha's I should of got it!

Thanks! Did that Yamaha have any problems on it? What year was it?

And do you have any ideas on how to fix the problems on my Yamaha?

Griff747
04-25-2012, 12:31 PM
Here are some pics!
As you can see here, no battery...
http://a8.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/525925_397273476972795_100000704392727_1269729_102 6951436_n.jpg

http://a3.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/530275_397273530306123_100000704392727_1269730_166 3191231_n.jpg

Exhaust is in bad shape, needs a new one.

http://a2.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/535587_397273936972749_100000704392727_1269737_152 3519477_n.jpg

Griff747
04-25-2012, 01:57 PM
An owners manual and the repair manual that I linked you too are completely different manuals, or do you have a repair manual?

I happen to have the Factory Service Manual. Helps a LOT! :D

Now, another topic to throw out: Which side of the engine would be easier to get into the tranny? Like I said before, we're missing the 1st gear inside, but luckily the fella who previously owned this bought the gear in 2002.

muthey
04-25-2012, 02:38 PM
the clutch side is easier, but might be better if you just pull the whole motor and open it all up so you can check the cylinder and piston as well.

trimoto200e
04-27-2012, 07:37 AM
I just bought and am working on one of these. I have an 84 and an 85. I noticed in your pics the same deal with the right tire tearing up the muffler. Hey take a look for the safety sticker on the handle bars. The Japanese put a couple of funny mispellings that I noticed on both years of yamahaulers that I have. It has me wondering how many years it took before they realised it was fugged up.

Griff747
04-27-2012, 08:04 AM
I just bought and am working on one of these. I have an 84 and an 85. I noticed in your pics the same deal with the right tire tearing up the muffler. Hey take a look for the safety sticker on the handle bars. The Japanese put a couple of funny mispellings that I noticed on both years of yamahaulers that I have. It has me wondering how many years it took before they realised it was fugged up.

YES! I noticed those too, one of them was: "Do not use headlight for more than harf an hour..." I laughed sooo hard for a few minutes. :lol:

trimoto200e
04-27-2012, 11:08 AM
Ha ha I hard a hard time not spewing my mouthful of beer. Someone should post a pic of that. I havent figured out how to post pic from my ipad. Its driving me crazy.

Griff747
04-27-2012, 04:54 PM
Ha ha I hard a hard time not spewing my mouthful of beer. Someone should post a pic of that. I havent figured out how to post pic from my ipad. Its driving me crazy.

Sorry if it's blurry, but you can read a bit of the text. There you can see the HARF and hour text.

Howdy
04-27-2012, 05:26 PM
I happen to have the Factory Service Manual. Helps a LOT! :D

Now, another topic to throw out: Which side of the engine would be easier to get into the tranny? Like I said before, we're missing the 1st gear inside, but luckily the fella who previously owned this bought the gear in 2002.

You have pull the motor and do a complete tear down and split the cases to get to the tranny. It's a lot of work and while you have it apart you can freshen up the motor ( rings, bearings if they are bad, valves, clutches, ect ).
Howdy

Griff747
05-18-2012, 07:54 PM
Good news everyone! We have moved the Yamahauler to a new location, and we made some great progress with it. We were able to start it up, and lemme tell you, IT SCREAMED LIKE A LOUD CHAINSAW that it scared to hibbi mijibi's out of me! We know are making some great progress. I'll hope to post some more pictures sooner or later this coming Wednesday/Thursday. Have a good weekend! :cool:

Keepah Rolln
05-19-2012, 11:15 AM
Good luck with the resto. I just picked up 2 1983 ytm 200's for 50$. After cleaning the carb, gas tank, new plug, new lines, changed the oil, clean mouse nest out air box, etc it started right up and drove it around to check the gears..Now I'm also in the process of restoring mine..I got mine stripped down to the frame. A little tip is I use zip lock baggies and mark the contents witha marker to keep track..A month or 2 down the road and I forget where all these bolts and screws go...lol:beer

Griff747
06-15-2012, 09:32 AM
Well, good news again is that when we fired the Yamahauler up again, I lightened the throttle down and it sounds like a purring kitten! Now, we hope to test ride it soon, but the only major problem is that sometimes it only idles for a minute and then just shuts off. Anyone know how to stop the problem?

tripowersport
06-18-2012, 09:31 PM
Try to clean the carb, jets really good and put in a fuel filter. I put on a fuel filter, cleaned my carb over and over then it was good. good luck.

jdt
01-03-2013, 12:00 PM
i just bought one of these bad boys in perfect condition (other than teh fact that when you shift into gear it doesn't move...)

muthey
01-04-2013, 04:24 PM
jdt are you shifting down or pulling the lever up? the yamaha's go up into gear, unlike earlier hondas where you push down.