PDA

View Full Version : tecate

NDS Custom
04-15-2012, 04:18 PM
Found a really clean Kawasaki Tecate today for sale for a thousand bucks, rims were a little beat up, but other than that she was clean, after market plastics, fresh rubber, clean, but those things were always 2 stroke ticking time bombs, blow up at any second, nothin like my Big Red, 4 stroke, she'll run forever! What do you guys think about the Tecate? I'm on the fence. :wondering

dksix
04-15-2012, 04:33 PM
What year is it? If it's a running 86 or 87 for a grand, you had better get before someone else does. If it's an 84 it depends on over all condition. IMO an 85 is worth at least $150 more, just for the front disk brakes and rear hubs.

NDS Custom
04-15-2012, 04:42 PM
Not sure what year, I guess I'll scoop it up for a G.

HuffieVA
04-15-2012, 06:26 PM
Found a really clean Kawasaki Tecate today for sale for a thousand bucks, rims were a little beat up, but other than that she was clean, after market plastics, fresh rubber, clean, but those things were always 2 stroke ticking time bombs, blow up at any second...

Education is a good thing to take advantage of... I haven't had one "blow" for the last 28 years I've been riding them, regular rebuilds are maintenance items on a smoker, you want the thrill you have to maintain them or they will "blow" you want to talk time bombs you need to look no farther than the modern thumpers

dksix
04-15-2012, 08:27 PM
huffie, was those your bikes that were stolen? I saw you add on Craigslist asking for information on them. You must not be far inside of VA, I'm just inside TN, not too far from Bristol.
I totally agree on the 4 strokes, especially the new ones that make so much power. The old air cooled Honda's were dead reliable if they were left alone but I see more of the new 4 strokes listed with rebuilt topends than I do 2 strokes. At least with a 2 stroke you can maintain it and just replace rings when needed, rings and piston every other time. I've never had to sleeve or replate a 2 stroke that I owned unless it was damaged before I got it. Run good 2 stroke oil, keep the air filter clean and oiled, jet it correctly, don't run it til it breaks and a 2 stroke is every bit a reliable as a 4 stroke.

dcreel
04-15-2012, 08:39 PM
My 84 Tecate (Klemm ported KX cylinder, 41mm carb, Klemm pipe and silencer) has been on the same bore since 1987.. It's had a piston and ring job done twice in that time. Granted it is getting tired but it still runs well..

NDS Custom
04-15-2012, 10:43 PM
You guys have convinced me, I'm gonna go get her, my old lady will be thrilled.

HuffieVA
04-15-2012, 11:33 PM
huffie, was those your bikes that were stolen? ....

Yep that was me, they got both my ATK's along with my Son's KX and his KLX trail bike. Its been a crappy couple of weeks but I did hook my son up with a nice clean Husqvarna 125 yesterday, he's taking to it like a duck to water and watchin' him fly around on that the last two days has been kind of like therapy... We're a ways from Bristol, were just south of Richmond but my wife has been hitting Craigslist, every bike shop, track, pawn shop and scrapyard in a 300 mile radius. I tell ya what if the come back for more they better hope its me and not her that catches them in the act...

warlordmx
04-15-2012, 11:47 PM
tecates are the most rare, harder to find parts for, but worth it, very good performance as long as you do the maintenance that a 2 stroke calls for...get it ninja before someone else does...

NDS Custom
04-29-2012, 06:09 PM
I opted not to get the Tecate, told a friend about it, he bought it for $900, motor popped a week later, glad I bailed on that one.