PDA

View Full Version : Michigan mushrooms are up.

jeswinehart
04-16-2012, 07:14 PM
Last week co-worker (pictured) and I went to look over a upcoming job. He asked that I show him the "short cut" threw the woods I always take to the rather remote section of this lake property.
last Tuesday in south west Michigan it was 35 degree, spitting snow/sleet/rain and he hollers STOP ! He spotted a gray, in no time he had a hat full of them.
We got a soaking rain over the week end and today he showed me what he got on his lunch hour at a couple different places nearby the plant. Wasn't much over 50 today and windy as all get out.
Yep, the morals are early and up in my area.

WIkid500
04-16-2012, 07:26 PM
That's awesome! I don't trust myself enough to go shroom picking, I'd end up dead or convulsing lol. They sure are good in the pan when they are fresh though! Good luck hunting!

hoosierlogger
04-16-2012, 09:09 PM
Hell John, our mushrooms have been done for about a week and a half now.

jeswinehart
04-16-2012, 09:16 PM
Yep, that is what my brother told me week end before last. He is the one that lives in Rockville.
He said the little blacks came on, all but skiped the grays and dogpeckers and right into morels and the odd thing he noticed this year was they was all bunched together.
He said when you found one, there would be a whole bunch with in arms reach of the first.
My co-worker reorted that being the same up here, all clumpped together
Oh by the way, brother Jim found right at 15 lbs this year

tecat-z
04-16-2012, 10:20 PM
Simply the BEST mushrooms in the world. What i wouldn't do for 15 lbs of morels.

300rman
04-16-2012, 11:35 PM
Can they commercially grow those things yet?

tecat-z
04-19-2012, 08:29 PM
After reading Johns encounter with finding the elusive Morel in such an accidental way, i began thinking...This area of Michigan is only 85 miles from my house, and it's always great to see friends. So i decided to call off work on wed, drag T-3 Lopes along, and hook up with John, Kevin, "disasterfun69" and his girlfriend for some true Michigan shroomin. John was eager to show us around the local spots, and even took us to some beautiful local lakes surrounded is woods. He then decided it was lunchtime and took myself and Lopes to a great lakeshore diner for fried smelt and pattymelts. " Thanks again John" After we took him back to work Lopes and i walked for untold miles, and hours, spoke to the DNR about spots, and saw many locals shroomin. But we had no luck. Then we hooked up with Kevin and Cory for a few more hours. Still nothin'. Those people out there take shroomin very seriously, and i don't think theres a patch of land that goes unchecked. However, the weather was perfect, John was his usual gratious self, and Kevin and Cory were great hunting company. In the end we had a blast. Saw all sorts of wildlife, beautiful secluted lakes, natural springs, turkeys, hawks, snakes, frogs, toads, u name it. On the way home Kevin and Cory had us swing by to check out their place. As we were peparing to leave, on my truck hood laid a bag with morels Cory has discretely placed there. WOW! were we surprised. They were some of Kevins find from the day before since i have a feeling they felt sorry for us. Thanks again to John, Kevin, and Cory for being great people, and fellow trikers. U guys are the best, and thanks for showing us a memorable day.

motoman1012002
04-19-2012, 08:55 PM
I stop at the fram in indiana after coming from ohio from my grandmother passing me and my uncle hunted for them and found about 4-5 pounds filled 3 potato sacks full I go up every easter usually to pick up my deer mount from the winter and thats all we do is hunt the yellow spung thats whats he and my grandfater called them ever sence I was little next up is september to go bushie tail hunting

WJG1000W
04-19-2012, 09:02 PM
there up in iowa also for a few more days how do you cook yours? we throw our in some batter and fry em in butter

ezmoney1979
04-19-2012, 09:28 PM
Awesome guys! Our low elevation season is wrapping up here. I have it pretty good, plenty of places for morel hunting and I know a lot of spots since I have been stomping around these hills here for 20+ years. This area is loaded with them. Here is an article from our local newspaper featuring a lady down the street from me in our small town of 1100 residents- http://www.mailtribune.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20120413/LIFE/204130307