PDA

View Full Version : Taliban commander turns self in... for reward on ‘Wanted’ poster

Scootertrash
04-17-2012, 08:59 PM
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/blogpost/post/taliban-commander-turns-self-in-for-reward-on-wanted-poster/2012/04/17/gIQAbVjqNT_blog.html

Sometimes, capturing a Taliban commander requires vast resources and complex operations. Last week in eastern Afghanistan, it required neither.

Mohammad Ashan, a mid-level Taliban commander in Paktika province, strolled toward a police checkpoint in the district of Sar Howza with a wanted poster bearing his own face. He demanded the finder’s fee referenced on the poster: $100.

Afghan officials, perplexed by the man’s misguided motives, arrested him on the spot. Ashan is suspected of plotting at least two attacks on Afghan security forces. His misdeeds prompted officials to plaster the district with hundreds of so-called “Be on the Lookout” posters emblazoned with his name and likeness.

When U.S. troops went to confirm that Ashan had in fact come forward to claim the finder’s fee, they were initially incredulous.

“We asked him, ‘Is this you?’ Mohammad Ashan answered with an incredible amount of enthusiasm, ‘Yes, yes, that’s me! Can I get my award now?’” recalled SPC Matthew Baker.

A biometric scan confirmed that the man in Afghan custody was the insurgent they had been looking for.

“This guy is the Taliban equivalent of the ‘Home Alone” burglars,” one U.S. official said.

El Camexican
04-17-2012, 10:15 PM
$100 bucks is a $100 bucks :crazy:

just ben
04-17-2012, 10:28 PM
I say give him 500.00 and turn him loose to keep plotting against his own people. seriously if taliban leaders are turning them selves in for 100.00 it means that the taliban is breaking down

Scootertrash
04-17-2012, 10:49 PM
ummm, I think the point was he actually thought he could collect on his own reward.

just ben
04-17-2012, 11:05 PM
ummm, I think the point was he actually thought he could collect on his own reward.yeah I get that but nobody is that stupid.What it shows is some type of internal breakdown,whether he was in the crosshairs of other members or they just arent as strong as they once thought they were and it is easier to just give up. Why not try to get a hundred bucks out of it? at that point there is nothing to lose

Scootertrash
04-17-2012, 11:31 PM
I assure you there definitely are people that stupid.

Chazz of Blades
04-18-2012, 12:24 AM
People like to think that the Taliban and other terrorist organizations are intelligently led and gathered groups. They even use the term Terrorist Mastermind! Mastermind! I think the only qualification is being smart enough to get the OTHER guy to blow himself up.

riverrat
04-18-2012, 12:41 AM
The more I learn about these people, the less I understand their way of thinking. Makes absolutely no sense. I sort of pride myself on understanding where other people are coming from, but I can't help to think that they are just idiots, mean idiots. Forgive me.

Stingray
04-18-2012, 02:09 AM
... but nobody is that stupid.
just ben,
You have never been to Afghanistan. Try to think of the Dark Ages but with cell phones. Or you could go to NYC and catch a cab.

Riverrat,
There is no need to apologize.

just ben
04-19-2012, 10:04 AM
Or you could go to NYC and catch a cab.

I'm not sure what you mean by that but if you mean the way they will drive in circles,travel 10 blocks to go 5 or take you to the wrong place.It doesnt make them stupid it makes them gouging scumbags,then they get pissed when you don't tip them for wasting your time and money.The part I don't get is even on the weekend when the streets are empty they still drive around blowing their horns.