PDA

View Full Version : Honda 185 ignition problem, help

MJKH_BIGRED
04-18-2012, 11:29 AM
Just put a 185 engine on my 200e frame, as my 200e motor is currently being torn down for a blown 2nd gear. Bolted it on, the engine had no spark. My friend who I bought it from gave me a new pulse coil with it. I pulled the flywheel off, and saw that the existing pulse coil had been sodered to the ground instead of the tab in the middle of the pulse coil. I replaced the pulse coil with the new one and sodered it to the correct tab. Put everything back together, give it a quick pull with the plug against the block, got a nice bright blue spark. Put gas tank back on, hooked up line, gave it a couple pulls and it fired right up running real nice. While picking up tools letting it idle for about five minutes or so, it suddenly shut off. Give it a couple pulls, nothing. Take the plug out and give it a couple pulls, no spark again. Ideas folks?

NDS Custom
04-18-2012, 07:24 PM
something must've shorted out, maybe the soldered wire from the coil or perhaps the coil burnt out, it makes since to start with what was replaced.

MJKH_BIGRED
04-18-2012, 08:34 PM
Just tested the pulse stator that I put in last night, only testing at 220 ohms, 265 required. I have another pulse stator that is testing at 270, about to solder that in now. If it shorts out again what issues am I missing here?

MJKH_BIGRED
04-18-2012, 11:58 PM
Crap. Done for the night. Put in a new stator, put flywheel back in place and attempted to tighten it back down.... Having removed it a couple times in the past two days stretched the threads and the nut f'd up the first two threads on the crankshaft. Guess I will have to recut the threads with a die tomorrow and hope for the best. Anyone ever done this before?

b22
04-19-2012, 05:26 AM
i mushroomed the threads on the end of the crank trying to pull the flywheel off.once i got it off i split the thread die in to two halves (i did it accidently and the old boy wasnt to chuffed) so i place the two halves on the threads and held them together with a jubilee clip and cut the threads in reverse.it seemed to do the job fine.