PDA

View Full Version : 84 200x top end question, a little corn fused at the moment

marfio81
04-18-2012, 10:38 PM
new to the sight but love it so far. Just got done with a new carb and and had trouble with the intake pipe, old carb needed what I would call a coolent type hose on each side and a barbed intake pipe. anyways back to factory all the way now and runs great. but a 83-85 intake pipe would'nt fit, it put the carb under the frame,not off to the side like it should. found one on an old 200e or 200s or es that fit perfect.my cylinder reads 192 for the cc's but does'nt seem to be a 200x top end. Future rebuild coming and not sure where to start.should I find a 200x top end or go with what I have. Thought about a 185 top because I heard they are much thicker and can be bored out a ton, any info would greatly be appreciated.

Rebel Customs
04-18-2012, 10:50 PM
Boring a cylinder is not what gains power. A .060 small block chevy doesnt make but a fraction of a horsepwer more than a standard bore. Stroking, air flow efficiency, compression ect make ponies. So go with the 200x topend if that is the engine you have.

shortline10
04-19-2012, 04:24 PM
The stock 200x intake manifold should have a 965 stamped on it . What you had that wouldnt fit was prob a 185s or 200s intake part # 446 which would put the carb into the frame .
Do you have a pic you can post of your old intake with the boot style connection ? want to sell it ? sounds like you have a aftermarket manifold .

marfio81
04-19-2012, 11:59 PM
I will take a look at the numbers to see what I ended up with,one had 965 and the others were a 15 and 14 I think. As far as the old manifold it is polished aluminum and really did'nt use a boot. It really had a piece of radiator hose from some model of mikuni carb to the manifold with two hose clamps. And the same on the back side of the carb to the air tube. It was a cluster for sure, will try to get a picture of the whole mess laid out on a bench.

shortline10
04-20-2012, 04:38 PM
Yes thats a aftermarket carb set up with the hose style connection . I would be interested in the whole set up if you want to sell it ?

I will take a look at the numbers to see what I ended up with,one had 965 and the others were a 15 and 14 I think. As far as the old manifold it is polished aluminum and really did'nt use a boot. It really had a piece of radiator hose from some model of mikuni carb to the manifold with two hose clamps. And the same on the back side of the carb to the air tube. It was a cluster for sure, will try to get a picture of the whole mess laid out on a bench.

marfio81
04-20-2012, 07:13 PM
I will get some pictures this weekend and try to post them, if its what you think they are I will likely sell them to ya. Thanks for the info on this stuff, I had a 85 200x as a teenager, and my dad gave it away due to an accident on it. Now I have another and an 84 atc 70 for the kids(which was my wifes as a kid) and want to restore them to the way they should be. This site is awsome, THANKS.

yaegerb
04-20-2012, 07:20 PM
Hey mafario, sent you a PM.