PDA

View Full Version : CDI box relocation?

Olphotodude
04-19-2012, 08:23 PM
So....just received a new CDI box for my 84 200S Honda ATC....Wondering if the heat off the head and no cooling air under the gas tank make these boxes fail quicker? Has anyone ever relocated their CDI box to a cooler location on the frame? I am really hoping that this fixes the "no spark" issue. All other aspects of the Ohms check and troubleshooting were correct. It would be easy to do, wonder what y'alls thoughts are?
Also.....should the spark plug lead show continuity when ohms checked or will it show "open" since it may be a resitance wire?
Thanks
tz

tri again
04-21-2012, 02:24 AM
service manual
should light up as a clickable link.

You may try the search key for no spark or
intermittent spark.

We've ALL been through it but keep us posted.
Oh, that service manual has the values for all your components and resistance values etc.

If you do get it running, and you will,
hit the cdi with a hair dryer while it's running and see if it kills it.

Generally, most agree that cleaning ALL connections, especially
grounds, coil to ground, frame grounds etc is the best place to start.

Even a bad kill switch ground may keep it from running, oddly enough. on
some models since it doubles as a run ground for the cdi.

Please keep us posted.
We all need to know how to fix this problem too.

edit
Sometimes those spark plug caps short out and also corrode inside the plug wire
itself.
Many a sleepless night has been cured by nipping off the last 1/4 inch of spark plug wire
so the cap has fresh wire to bite into.
Do you have spark directly from the wire to the case without the plug cap?

Olphotodude
04-21-2012, 12:47 PM
Okay.....cleaned all the connectors with electrical DeOx and a small wire brush...still no go. Ohms checked everything again, the lighting coil failed while everything else passed (?) I trimmed the coil sparkplug lead and got good continuity. Decided to pull the rope starter and see what I would see.....WOW....lots of rust, fungus, dirt, crud and snarf. At some point water got into the alternator area and sat season in and out. Even tho the sprockets do not show any wear at all, this thing has been abused by letting it sit outside.
I have ordered a flywheel puller off of Ebay for $15 and have been spraying the spindle and screws with WD-40 to help once I get the flywheel off. I have a feeling that once I clean the magnets and coils I will have "something" but plan on ordering a new exciter coil and lighting coil if I can find them.
Does anyone have a favorite one stop shop for parts? I have found a bunch of neat sites but none seem to have everything I will need in one site.
Thanks for the input!

WJG1000W
04-21-2012, 09:47 PM
ebay or bike bandit for parts