PDA

View Full Version : 200x clutch wont do its job!

Rebel Customs
04-21-2012, 09:08 PM
Putting my 84's engine back together and the clutch wont do crap. The linkage just moves freely. I dont know if im missing parts or whats going on!

Howdy
04-21-2012, 09:12 PM
Did you put the push pin in? I forgot one once, made a major difference. lol

Rebel Customs
04-21-2012, 09:16 PM
Yeah i did. I pulled it back apart and im clueless. I have never driven a manual honda except a 250ex 4 wheeler but clutches tend to have pressure haha, mine just does circles.

Howdy
04-21-2012, 09:26 PM
Some times the clutch pressure plates ( inner and outer ) don't align up properly ( you may have to turn it 1/4 turn ). To check it I put the tranny in netrual and see if I can turn the clutch with the plate that compresses the springs ( springs installed and bolts tightened ). If it turns the motor over then it should be correct. If you can spin plate ( will take some effort ) but the outer clutch basket and motor don't turn then it's the pressure plates or something with the clutch disk / fiber disk.

Hope it helps!
Howdy

Rebel Customs
04-21-2012, 09:59 PM
Forgot to soak the clutch pads but i guarentee that it wasnt the problem. After they soak i will try again.

yaegerb
04-21-2012, 10:15 PM
Did you put a new kit in or the original discs?

Rebel Customs
04-21-2012, 10:23 PM
Its a new kit from EBC. I also ordered high pressure springs but didnt put them in because they are 3/8 of an inch longer than my stock ones so i think they sent the wrong ones. I did check mine and they are within spec from honda... Oh gosh i LOVE honda shop manuals right now... NOT! They dont have torque specs for ANYTING, just "tighten"... so i in turn broke a second clutch basket with one hand and a nut driver! URGH. Anyways still have the same damn problem but hey my clutch makes for a cool engine brake, as soon as you turn it it stops the engine but doenst open the clutch... wtf!?

yaegerb
04-21-2012, 10:28 PM
Is this the same motor I sent you the cylinder for?

Rebel Customs
04-21-2012, 10:33 PM
yeah it is

yaegerb
04-21-2012, 10:35 PM
Wow you work fast. Did you have to replace the crank?

Rebel Customs
04-21-2012, 10:43 PM
I bought a good used one for 80 bucks on ebay.

yaegerb
04-21-2012, 10:49 PM
Nice. Did you double check the number of fiber and steel discs? Sounds like either you have the wrong count or maybe not soaking in oil is doing it. They only need to set for 15 minutes btw.

Rebel Customs
04-21-2012, 10:54 PM
Yeah they sat in oil for atleast 20 min. I have 4 disks and 5 pads, counted and its the same as the book. I doesnt feel as if the rod that disenguages the clutch is even touching that nipple piece that sticks out of the clutch basket. I have all the washers and whatnot facing the correct way just like the manual said so im lost at the moment but maybe when the frustration from breaking yet another basket goes away i can try again.

yaegerb
04-21-2012, 11:00 PM
How did you break the second one? The motor is in the frame? When tightening, put it in gear so it locks the outer housing. You also need to have someone apply the brake. If the motor is out, it's a different story.

Rebel Customs
04-21-2012, 11:03 PM
Oh no no no no you think i have this thing more assebled than i really do. The cylinder is still at G&H, it will be back in a few days hopefully. Im putting together the bottom end. And no i didnt need anyone to hold it, i just held the basket still with my hand and just tightening it with a nut driver was enough to snap the aluminum.

Rebel Customs
04-21-2012, 11:07 PM
Im a smart guy. I have built over 20 offroad rigs and i know my way around stuff but ill be damned if i cant figure out how this clutch setup works beyond the linkage. The bearing is flush up against a solid shaft that has a nut on it so how in the hell is it supposed to push down in the first place?

yaegerb
04-21-2012, 11:13 PM
Ohhhhhh, getting that on being out is a biotch. Best advice is put a penny between the crank gear and the oil gear. Then get a tusk clutch holder tool. I have a thread on here where I explain how to modify the tool and tighten the outer hub. Search for 200x clutch.

Rebel Customs
04-21-2012, 11:16 PM
I dont understand... i got the nut on the clutch to the 32foot pound torque and then broke one of the 4 aluminum uprights while tightening the clutch by hand. I can tighten stuff but for some reason i dont think the pushrod thing is hitting the shift fork

yaegerb
04-21-2012, 11:21 PM
I am sending you a pm.

Howdy
04-21-2012, 11:40 PM
After more thought on this: It could be the pressure plates are wore. Was the old clutch smoked badly? I have one at the shop where the one ( with the 4 spring nipples ) is wore at least 1/8 in. It's junk unless you add a extra fiber disk.
Howdy

Rebel Customs
04-21-2012, 11:45 PM
I never saw it run, piston was in a million pieces. I will mic them and see if they are within spec

yaegerb
04-21-2012, 11:55 PM
You wont see the clutch engage until you get it all together. Call me tomorrow, I will explain. Too much to type.

Howdy
04-21-2012, 11:59 PM
I never saw it run, piston was in a million pieces. I will mic them and see if they are within spec

If the clutches were smoked bad they will be black. The machine I worked on was spewing smoke out of the breather hose. 1/2 of the fiber disk was wore to the metal on one side. It was real bad and cause a lot of other motor damage.
Howdy

Rebel Customs
04-22-2012, 12:11 AM
You wont see the clutch engage until you get it all together. Call me tomorrow, I will explain. Too much to type.

Yeah i will give you a holler and see if i can get this mess striaght. Appreciate it