PDA

View Full Version : Yamaha 225 cylinder?? Aftermarket available? Thoughts?

Yamaha39
04-23-2012, 06:22 PM
Doing a 225dx motor build. Does anyone make an aftermarket 225dx cylidner? Or is new/used yamaha OEM the only option? Looking to go bigger with a new piston, wondering what others have done and how it worked out, good, bad, etc. Suggestions, ideas, etc. Thanks for the input.

leevarnado
04-23-2012, 06:29 PM
There is some new aftermarket cylinders on eBay that are std bore.if your looking to go bigger you can use a timberwolf or bear tracker cylinder but there isn't a high compression piston for those bikes.

Yamaha39
04-23-2012, 06:51 PM
Ive done some reading around and just want to be sure im understanding correctly, Am I able to take the stock timberwolf/beartracker cylinder and a wiseco 71mm piston and they will go together without needing any boring or machining. It will give a touch more cc and give me the higher compression that I need?
thanks for your input

hippyplz
04-23-2012, 08:58 PM
Someone told me that you had to bore the dx case to fit the timberwolf cylinder but i dont know that for sure

muthey
04-23-2012, 09:23 PM
you do have to bore the case and it is not a higher comp piston it is lower, so it's not worth it. There are plenty of aftermarket pistons out there none of which that I have seen are hjigh comp, but when the dx can do 50 mph with a stock bore and piston what more can you need. There is no way to make these compete with 2 stroke but my dx is able to keep up with a 660 grizzly so why and try to supe it up more. If you need to replace piston and rings and have the cylinder bored, than do that. These are a shaft driven trike.

hippyplz
04-23-2012, 09:27 PM
My buddy runs a wiseco in one if his and i thought it was a hc piston. Also eather web or mega lists a cam for the 225.

rideyamaha458
05-08-2012, 05:15 PM
ive got a dx thats 40 over with web cam and bigger main jet. top end wise im doing around 60-63but the increase in torque is the best part. this thing will stand straight up in every gear with little to no effort. thtas just my imput