PDA

View Full Version : home made dump trailer now how tomake it dump? any ideas?

brapp
04-24-2012, 10:36 PM
ok i made a small dump trailer and the frame is made i plan on having a 4 1/2 foot by 48 inch dump bed on it, its all 2 inch square tubing and build to hold up, but what types of lifts can i use any ideas to get it to lift?

riverrat
04-24-2012, 11:58 PM
Boat winch? Make the pivot just a little to the rear of the center, so not much load will be put on the winch. Run the cable under the trailer from the front to a leverage point in the rear. You may to run the cable over a pulley that extends down to give you leverage.

OR get a hydrolic set up.

brapp
04-25-2012, 12:45 AM
i am leaning more torwards a hydrolic set up something like a scissor lift with a long travel 3 ton ran laid down on the tounge but dont know how to make it work and as far as the pivot point i haveit set up so its balanced and ablout a foot from the back for optimal ground clearance while dumping.

riverrat
04-25-2012, 01:30 AM
Just look at how a dump truck uses a ram, you don't need a scissor lift. Get a harbor freight 7 ton electric log splitter, and use that. Or piece something together from northern tool. HEre are some blue prints:
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200331179_200331179

bigbore88
04-26-2012, 09:59 AM
out of the stuff you got take a 2 stroke and hook it to a hydro pump then put your ram in send me pics of the frame brapp ill get some plans drawn up and send em back just make sure your trailer tires are trailpro trailpro s

brapp
04-26-2012, 10:59 AM
i have a big bri mar dump traile rbut its too big for the quad and tractor, i am tryign to figure a way tyo carry a 1/2 ton or so of food or dirt stone etc and be able to dump it without alot of hydrolic components or ton of weight, i was thinkign a sliding block around the tounge and a pivot and bar upright and a long ram (like off a engine hoist)

Big Mike
04-26-2012, 11:12 AM
What about building a small frame that extends up from the front of the dump portion and using an engine hoist ram? Make the frame tall enough that the engine hoist ram will fit in their fully closed and you should be good. it will be manual but could work, just make sure the ram can pivot at the top and bottom.

Similar design to this: http://www.gyftos.com/fs/autocar/files/collage_lb_image_page0_2_1.png

I used to build truck bodies and this is how we built almost all of them, because it just needs a pivot at the very back of the body and the piston at the front does all the work. It is so much fun changing out pistons of this style body, because they weigh like a 1000 pounds and you have to lift them straight up and out. My father and I have been doing them since I was like 15 yrs old together at one of this fleets he takes care of.

fabiodriven
04-26-2012, 12:01 PM
A single stage piston isn't going to give enough height.

Big Mike
04-26-2012, 12:44 PM
Well it depends on how high he really needs to go, a 4.5 foot trailer with the hoist piston should be enough height?

El Camexican
04-26-2012, 12:44 PM
A single stage piston isn't going to give enough height.

Isn't that what reverse and brakes are for?:naughty:

fabiodriven
04-26-2012, 03:37 PM
Well it depends on how high he really needs to go, a 4.5 foot trailer with the hoist piston should be enough height?

Oh yeah, I didn't realize it was that small.

Big Mike
04-26-2012, 03:38 PM
Way to pay attention to the details. HAHA!!!

brapp
04-28-2012, 03:35 AM
i think i have it figured out i am gonan do a slidign block and a 3 ton ram with 16 inches of travel lay it down along the tounge and have a slider block around the tounge with a 14 inch arm that lays down so as it slides the block back the arm that is attached to the body raises the bed?? possibly a good plan?

YAMAHA_Jim
04-28-2012, 05:56 PM
What about building a small frame that extends up from the front of the dump portion and using an engine hoist ram? Make the frame tall enough that the engine hoist ram will fit in their fully closed and you should be good. it will be manual but could work, just make sure the ram can pivot at the top and bottom.

Similar design to this: http://www.gyftos.com/fs/autocar/files/collage_lb_image_page0_2_1.png

I used to build truck bodies and this is how we built almost all of them, because it just needs a pivot at the very back of the body and the piston at the front does all the work. It is so much fun changing out pistons of this style body, because they weigh like a 1000 pounds and you have to lift them straight up and out. My father and I have been doing them since I was like 15 yrs old together at one of this fleets he takes care of.
That looks like a bibeau body on that tandem?? Maybe I'm wrong. Looks the same as whats on our Volvo Tandem at my job.The cylinder looks the same as well.Your not kidding about them being heavy. :)

just ben
04-28-2012, 10:09 PM
i think i have it figured out i am gonan do a slidign block and a 3 ton ram with 16 inches of travel lay it down along the tounge and have a slider block around the tounge with a 14 inch arm that lays down so as it slides the block back the arm that is attached to the body raises the bed?? possibly a good plan?glad you have it sorted(mostly) when your done figuring it out you can figure out a chain tensioner for my T2 lol. If my funds permit I wanna get down there in a couple weeks I could give you a hand if needed

fabiodriven
04-29-2012, 05:43 PM
Way to pay attention to the details. HAHA!!!

You can't blame me for not being able to read Brappanese!

Dirtcrasher
04-29-2012, 11:34 PM
Cake, It's a small dump body. Just use a 2 point access and a piston strong and long enough to do the job.

You just need to sit down and figure out some mechanical engineering.

Or get some rope and make up a pulley systems like the Romans did :D

brapp
05-02-2012, 09:49 PM
i have 2 anchor points and a 16 insh stroke ram, the pivots 8 inches off the back and the frame has been trimed to clear to a 60 deg angle and it only takes 14 inches to reach full dump sp i am gonna mount the cylinder to the dump bed and the other end with the pump handle down on the tounge where ever the angle takes it and still alowitn it to close fully, and raised the dump bed 3 inches off the bottom frame to give it a 10% angle to start with so it will transfer to vertical height rather then rearward motion.