PDA

View Full Version : Tri z expert help needed

rice
04-26-2012, 11:58 AM
Hi. I was waiting to get the new dg pipe for my 86 tri z before trying to tune the carb. Now that i have the pipe on i just can not seem to get it going right. It barely hits the power band in first and second, almost like its governed. after third it has pretty much full rip. I tried all kinds of different jet sizes and no go. and the carb is spotless.I then tried an 85 carb with a 330 jet and the 86 needle and it ran Mint, too mint. after a few mins the plug still looked brand new. but i think that it was way too lean and i dont want to blow it up. so my question is, if i change the main jet and use an 86 needle, is there anything else that needs to be looked at to make the 85 carb work? any other suggestions? thanks

rice
04-26-2012, 06:31 PM
anyone? thanks

TimSr
04-29-2012, 01:35 PM
The 85 and 86 bare carb are the same. There is no advantage to using the 86 settings, unless you change to the 86 air intake, and even then the "improvements" are negligable if even noticeable.

If you do make that change, and change the main jet and the needle, without changing the needle jet, you are missing the primary point of that change, and it will never run right through the entire rpm range.

You either need to change the main jet, needle jet, and needle, or go back to the original components, and dial it in, which usually means just dropping the main to somewhere between 420-460, depending on your premix.