PDA

View Full Version : Atc250r to big wheel conversion thread~ who's done it?

RideNslideATC
04-26-2012, 01:18 PM
So basically I'm putting this here since I cannot yet post in the main threads, hope I get some good replys!

I have a 81 250r body with a 84 motor I had rebuilt. Me and a buddy have decided to make a "frankenmachine" and turn it into a big wheel/fat cat type deal. Were both very mechanically inclined and cost really isn't a factor. I just have some questions to people that have done this before or have knowledge on the subject.

Basically I'm wondering what swing arm is best/easiest to fit to the frame, and what actually fitting it to the frame entails? I know the BW350 swing arm has the gears on it and since the motor we have has a right side drive sprocket, will that be an issue? I have a friend with a BW200 and I think I remember the chain going from the motor to the rear tire without gears on the Swingarm, would one of those work better/easier to fit?

Also, I have seen those one piece(or so they look) rear plastics for the "missle kits", what years do they make them for? If they're only for the 86 87 think it would be possible to modify it or the frame in a way to make it a solid fit?

If anyone has insight on how they or someone they know has accomplished this with whatever parts I'd greatly appreciate the help! Oh and some pictures would be excellent if ya got em! Thanks guys!

kawasaki666
04-26-2012, 01:33 PM
145735It's been done! I've seen a picture or 2 here. Me being new also, I don't remember where I saw it. I saved the pic(cuz it was cool!), and I'll try to post.

Big Mike
04-26-2012, 03:22 PM
Here is the company that makes the kit, however I am not sure if it is available for the 1st Gen R
http://www.dehnerwelding.com/Missile.html

JasonB
04-26-2012, 04:34 PM
Richard and Fat Tire crash ( i think his name is) did it to 3rd gen 250r's, but i have yet to see someone do this to an air cooler. Good luck man, im going to bet your one of the first and only people to attempt this!

EDIT********* forgot about Hadar i think is his name, he did a pretty one too! I would check wtih The gentleman that builds the missle kits, this cant be the first time this has come up and im sure he may have input on the subject. The 'jack' shaft and brakes I would imagine will be your biggest hassle. Good luck man!

30rack
04-26-2012, 04:37 PM
Please undertake this project and post updates on the build!

RideNslideATC
04-26-2012, 05:17 PM
Haha I think I am one of the first to do this build, but I love a good challenge! I will post up some pictures as soon as everything is ready to be started I plan on doing a very in depth write up, but currently I'm waiting on a new clutch for my 125m so Its rideable and I can sell it for some extra funds for this project!

Would love all the input you guys have to offer!

atc300r
04-26-2012, 05:50 PM
Iv seen a 200x and 83-84 250r done before. Check with the guy at the Missle Company and ask if he would do a swingarm for you.

RideNslideATC
04-26-2012, 06:00 PM
Just talked to missle, basically said he'd do it but would need the trike there and it would entail a whole lot of custom fabrication for the shock to work and it would be extremely expensive.

So I'm back to trying to figure out if a BW200 or 350 arm would do me ok. Then I need to figure out what to do with the airbox and carb because theyre where the back tire is going to want to be.. Guess I'm lucky I have a friend with a machine shop close by but still this will be a heck of a project, can't wait!!:wondering

atc300r
04-26-2012, 06:08 PM
There is a tecate build on here .And he used a BW swingarm.

RideNslideATC
04-26-2012, 06:31 PM
Yeah I've heard they're easy to do, they basically bolt on from what I was told. With mine however it would take so much custom work to get it to align and bolt to the frame and swing arm, and then the carb/air box would be in the way. There's an 84 tecate by me for sale, I almost want to just get that and do it to that instead :(

JasonB
04-26-2012, 06:56 PM
so you are pretty set on the big wheel idea huh?

remsandpets
04-26-2012, 07:21 PM
At least with a "Big Wheel" idea, there wouldn't be as far to the ground. Maybe we could repopularize the 3 wheeler again? Some of US kids never grow-up.

RideNslideATC
04-26-2012, 08:00 PM
Yeah I always loved fatcats and big wheels, so I'm pretty set on this idea because imo the only way they could get better is with a 250 2smoker engine! And while I'm still on the hunt for an original fatcat, I'd sure love to have a conversion in my collection with it too!

As stated before theres an 84 tecate near me that needs minor work to run, and the guy wants only a few hundred for it. I might part out what I have of this 81 250r and grab the tecate and do it with that instead.

jp212
09-02-2012, 09:32 PM
Maybe I can help you out. The BW200 swing arm has the gears/jackshaft assembly. Any progress on the build?