PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever had Shingles?

bkm
04-26-2012, 05:52 PM
Son of a Beeotch, what a pain. I developed a rash last friday or so and just blew it off because with my ballistic vest at work it sometimes causes a rash when it warms up, well this damn thing has gotten worse so I went to the Saw Bones today and sure enough its Shingles. Anyone else ever dealt with these damn things?

El Camexican
04-26-2012, 05:58 PM
I knew someone that had them. She died... of something else. I know of two others that have had them and they are still alive, so by my math you've got at least a 66% of survival.

bkm
04-26-2012, 06:25 PM
I knew someone that had them. She died... of something else. I know of two others that have had them and they are still alive, so by my math you've got at least a 66% of survival.I like those odds:lol:

sp8twn
04-26-2012, 06:26 PM
Ya ,ive had them before, because of large amount of radiation i have had due to cancer treatment. Not to worry BKM just take the pills the doc prescribed you and they will be gone in no time!!

Chazz of Blades
04-26-2012, 06:59 PM
My grandfather got them last year, doc said it was the worst case she'd ever saw. He literally had hundreds of 5-6mm indentions in his right side, all the way up to his arm, and down to his hip, and halfway around his stomach and back. Looked like he'd been shot a few times with birdshot. Kept him down and bedbound for over a month, and he still has pretty bad scars and occasional pains.

remsandpets
04-26-2012, 07:05 PM
Its caused by the chickenpox virus. GO SEE YOUR DOCTOR! It is treatable!

bkm
04-26-2012, 08:02 PM
Its caused by the chickenpox virus. GO SEE YOUR DOCTOR! It is treatable!Thanks, but read first post. Google "Saw Bones".:lol:

atc007
04-26-2012, 08:10 PM
At your age hopefully you'll be fine. In the elderly it is a game changer most of the time. Years of lingering. I speak from My Uncle,2 Neighbors,Sisters Mother in aw,and others around here. It lingered,,VERY painfully for over a year on all of them a cpl years on one. BUT,,they were ALL elderly{ over 76}. I had the chicken pox @ 18 and it damn near killed me, No joke. I've never been right since. From th eposts above,,it sounds like the docs will getcha all fixed up! I hope the best for ya Bryan. Have your kids or anyone you know been sick or had Chicken pox lately?

whyzee
04-26-2012, 08:12 PM
My sister in law had them last year. She recovered fine but she said it was some of the worst pain ever and she has 4 kids.

tri again
04-26-2012, 08:16 PM
Amazing PAIN!
Stay away from anything with tylenol, incl vicodin and percocette.
They make those pain killers withOUT tylenol.

Acyclovir, famvir and the other preparations for the herpes virus is what they're
using these days, closely related to chicken pox.
Lysine, an amino acid supplement avail in every supermarket prevents
viral duplication as does zinc.

Avoid foods high in argenine, another amino acid.
Found in pork, some nuts and bodybuilding supplements.

Yupp, wicked painful

atc300r
04-27-2012, 08:35 PM
A former Boss of mine and a co-worker had them.They say the older you are the worse it is..The former Boss was in his lat twentys and it was bad for him. The co-worker was in his lat 50s .The worse thing I ever had was Mono.when I was in my early 20s.People I know that had it said they never felt a 100% after.Even today.

Chazz of Blades
04-27-2012, 10:21 PM
My grandfather is in his early 50s, but he has an incredibly strong immune system, earlier this year he suffered two brown recluse bites on a foot, and lasted a week with no ill effects before he had it checked out and found out what it was.

dcreel
04-27-2012, 10:33 PM
My wife has a spot on her back and usually has an inflamation every 6 months or so.. Very painful. If you get there quick enough to the doctor she gets a shot that lessens the length of the inflamation.. If you wait too long to get the shot, you might as well just put up with it.. I usually rub the blisters open with alcohol and somehow it makes her feel better.

Bryan, if you need anything or have any questions. Send me an e-mail and I'll let the wife answer.. She's been dealing with it for 2 or 3 years now.. My dad has it too.. But doesn't get it as often as Kendra.. He did end up in the hospital though with it.. In the quarantine room.. Small hospitals.. Kendra has it on the right side of her lower back, my dads is in the same spot only left hand side.. lol

pantera1975
04-27-2012, 10:58 PM
I'm taking Gabapentian for low back neck ans shoulder pain to help lessen head aches. My DR said they give that after shingles for pain. Its a nerve healing medicine. 3 times a day and in 2 weeks nite and day different.

atc007
04-28-2012, 08:39 AM
How's it going Bryan?

bkm
04-28-2012, 01:13 PM
How's it going Bryan?The pain is not as bad, but I have no energy to do anything. I also feel sick to my stomach, but I don't know if it has anything to do with the shingles. I did just get an awesome deal from poobee for a tail light and brackets so that helps little.:lol:

Doug thanks for the offer. I have been meaning to email you just to say hi. I'll drop you a line this weekend sometime.

whyzee
05-09-2012, 05:30 PM
bkm, how are your shingles doing ?

bkm
05-09-2012, 08:49 PM
Thanks whyzee for checking in. They are still there, but its tolerable. These things are strange because the rash is almost gone, but the nerve pain/damage is still there. BTW how you doing?

atc007
05-09-2012, 09:05 PM
I've been wondering how you are,, be interesting to see how long it stays with you at your age. Hope it clears soon for ya.

atc007
05-16-2012, 04:10 PM
How are you doing with these Bryan ?

bkm
05-16-2012, 06:17 PM
Doing great Bill, thanks for asking. I have a little scarring, but the pain is pretty much non existent.

atc007
05-16-2012, 08:35 PM
Unreal,,glad to hear! How did you take care of it? Meds?

Keepah Rolln
05-17-2012, 03:33 PM
I got them in my late 20's. They do suck and take about a month to get rid off But the pain does linger for several months!! Mine started next to my spine and spread, wrapped all the way to my belly button..They say stressful events can trigger them. They were very painful but I had alot worse pain wise...