PDA

View Full Version : Starter question

trimoto200e
04-26-2012, 10:57 PM
I have an 84 ytm 200 and just bought an 85 that was in rough shape but I may need some parts. I cleaned the carb amd tank, put new fuel lines on it and fresh gas. The wires were disconnected and were hanging where the key used to be. Put a new spark plug pulled the cord, got spark. Didt start. It has good compression. My arm gave out so I hooked up a battery to try the starter.

I connected the red to the brown and left tne two black wires an 2 blue alone tried to start it today. The starter spun but didnt engage. I took the starter apart and saw one of the magnets was cracked. Wanting to hear it run, I took the starter out of the other bike that I know works. installed it. same deal. i just spun, didnt grab.

So my questions are, as far as wiring and relays, is there something to check that is preventing the bendix from springing out. Is it like a car that way? or is there probably something wrong with the ring gear.

It started pissing down so I quit before pulling the starter again to have a look in the hole. i can turn a wrench but still learning alot of this stuff.

Suggestions appreciated.

Bill

trimoto200e
04-27-2012, 03:42 PM
Nothing from nobody?
I stopped raining, gonna go mess with some wires.