PDA

View Full Version : New from the Texas Gulf Coast

mapplethorpe
04-27-2012, 05:48 PM
Greetings... I'm a newbie that just picked up a 1986 Honda 200x today. I traded a rough 1978 Suzuki RM50 (that I bought 2 months ago for 100.00) for the Honda straight up, so I'm not sure who has the better end of the deal right now, lol. The guy I got it from has had it since it was new and it looks fairly nice.

I didn't plan on owning this Honda, but I needed something to ride along with my son, who rides a 2003 Kawasaki KX65. I originally bought the Suzuki RM50 for him, but it just needed too much work. So instead, I found the KX65 and it's been great... Except that I'm stuck at home base screaming at him across the pasture "Shift into 3rd!!!"

So in my eyes, I have a 100.00 Honda 3 wheeler that I dreamed of when I was in Junior High, and I don't even know if it runs.

I'll be looking for suggestions on how to deal with a crankcase gasket leak... Sounds like that could be a "fun" job, lol. I've never rebuilt an engine, but I have friends who have and there's always youtube, repair manuals, and of course you guys. Like I said, I'm into this thing for a 100.00 so I'm more apt to take some risks.

I look forward to hearing from y'all!

RaceBannon
04-28-2012, 05:40 AM
Welcome fellow 3rd coaster. I have 2 200x's. They are great fun to work on and ride. As you'll see from my location, I also live in Brazoria County. Small world.

You are definately on the proper forum, the guys here have a wealth of information and trike wisdom.

Good luck and enjoy.

MonroeMike
04-29-2012, 02:48 AM
Welcome to the site.

http://72.52.143.80/~trikes/Manuals/ATC%20manuals/86-87atc200xservicemanual.pdf

mapplethorpe
05-01-2012, 05:06 PM
Thanks for the hospitality and the manual! You just saved me a Google search!

I pulled the carb and gave it a good cleaning along with the airbox and filter. I replaced the spark plug and it cranked up and ran beautifully after only 4 kicks.

It does have a significant oil leak in the main crankcase, so I'll be reading over that service manual right away. It looks as though the gasket has given way on the bottom side of the crankcase, where the two main halves come together. That's just a guess though as I've not yet dropped the skid plate and really looked it over.