PDA

View Full Version : new to the new tri z and still beatin on the ol' 200x basher

TRI-CYCLE
04-29-2012, 02:00 AM
Hey guys I recently bought a 85 tri z that was "fully restored" but it was a few issue,
-the engine will Only run if the choke lever is up, has no power when its down, at all. Which way is choke on these?
-its got a dg pipe, but where the pipe is clamped to the front of the engine it leaks oil and smoke BAD. is there a gasket in there? Or just in need of tighter springs?

- the shock and linkage on swing arm has alot of play.. almost like he used smaller bolts when bolting the shock and linkage to the swing arm, where can I find the RIGHT hardware?

Its a great running bike. I'm new to 2 strokes so its a learning curve to me, but I already love them. I'm just very busy in the oilfields of north Dakota and don't get much browsing time online for parts.. it would be greatly appreciated if any of the tri z historians could help me with the few small problems and parts needed!!
Also I'm looking for a good set of after market bars and hand guards for it. Slightly wider is comfortable to me.

I've also got an 86 200x with all white plastics, rear wheel spacers, larger sprockets, straight pipe, all aluminum dg skid plates and grab bar, and itp hole shots. Its sorta beat up but has a rebuilt motor and rips pretty nicely. Planning to fix it up slowly, but its kind of the beater atc I have that I can have my fun on without TOTALLY regretting it like on a rarer 2 stroke model bike. Ill post a few pics. Thanks for reading and advice guys! Great forum by the way!

TRI-CYCLE
04-29-2012, 02:15 AM

Mosh
04-29-2012, 08:07 AM
That is a pretty nice looking Tri-Z.

There are 2 gaskets for the jug and pipe. One is a small wave washer and the other is a tin cup that goes over the jug flange. Some guys are using a donut gasket for a car exhaust to seal them too. I guess you can find them at Auto Zone pretty easy. You have to do a search on here for the part number.
I just use the stock gaskets /and or a bunch of Ultra Copper RTV for exhausts..Clean the pipe and jug real well, then apply, and let it dry for 24 hours before you run it.

As far as your linkage. Yamaha Warrior Shock bolts will work, and All Balls sells rebuild kits for the shock pivot bearings. Also Banshee's and Warrior's share a VERY similar linkage system With the Z..The bolt lengths may vary, but alot of the bolts can be swaped over to the Tri-Z wishbone and linkage.

As far as your choke, up is choked..So if you are running it in the up posistion, it sounds like she is starving for fuel. Make sure your vacumm line is hooked up from the jug to the fuel pump, make sure no lines from the tank and pump are kinked or pinched and maybe take the carb apart and check for dirt or loose jet needle..Or even missing parts.

BIG DADDY TRI Z
04-29-2012, 08:49 AM
looks good that is one you want to respect and keep nice....keep beatin on the x and show off the Z

TRI-CYCLE
04-29-2012, 06:22 PM
Hey thanks guys. I love this tri z. I actually never knew they existed till a few months ago. Been searching for one since! I plan to keep it nice, but never drive it nice. Lol. The old x is a solid old girl though. Fires up in 2 kicks every time.

When you say "jug" on the bike, I'm assuming you mean the wider rounder part of the exhaust right? Also known as the expansion chamber? May be a STUPID question but I'm full of them. And as far as the vacuum hose for the fuel goes I assume your still talking about the same jug?

I will look into the banshee and warrior hardware. I assumed they were similar. Is the banshee or warrior shock any better? I've thought about trying a new rear shock on my x for a long time, seems like atc's never had a suspension designed for catching a whole lot of air.. haven't riden the z enough to know if the stock shock will soak up the jumps good enough or not though I guess. I guess I don't understand why I couldn't buy the right steel bushings and hardware at the hardware store, couldnt find metric anything in watford city ND though! Thanks again for advice/ opinions fellas!

TRI-CYCLE
05-03-2012, 01:56 PM
I checked out the Carb situation, I found a 1/4 inch vacuum hose that came out the side of the Carb and connects to the bottom of the air induction it looked like. That was fine. As far as a vacuum line from the fuel pump to the "jug" I don't know, I'm assuming the fuel pump is where the rear fuel on off switch is located, but I'm still trying to figure out what the "jug" is. Fuel tank? Fuel bowl?

JasonB
05-03-2012, 02:46 PM
great looking Tri Z! i like that alot, great find. And i dont know wht but your 200x looks like a 350x for some reason to me.... either way nice bikes, def enjoy the x and show the Z!

I cant remember if it was the warrior or the R6 shocked that worked with the Tri Z..... either way one of them IIRC is considered to be an upgrade from the worn stock rear shock.

When Mosh said Jug he was talking about the cylinder; the part on the motor that the expansion chamber is hooked up to. It has the piston in it. And if you located the gas tank; its under the seat as im sure your aware; follow the lines of it. One should be attached to a small rectangle with more lines on it; that is the fuel pump. Make sure the pump has a line from the motor hooked up to it creating vacuum, if it doesnt than the bike wont run because fuel has to be pumped to the carb. Theres a handful of things that will 'starve' the motor of fuel, on the triz theres like 3 or 4 more variables than other bikes lol

pump has to pump gas
needs to have correct sized jets in there
needs to have compression
needs to have good spark
needs a clean air filter
theres a few more i cant think of. search on how to test that the pump is working right. What size jets are in the carb? what plug and gap are you running?

sorry for rambling, i still have ALOT to learn about 2 strokes and tri z's in general

badass350x
05-03-2012, 05:41 PM
The yamaha warrior shock is the one you want if buying a shock!!!

TRI-CYCLE
05-04-2012, 04:36 AM
Thanks alot guys. I wish the 200x was a 350x.... man I would do anything for a 350x in good shape! But its for sure a 86 200 with a little baby straight pipe. Haha.

I am mechanically inclined person, just new to some of these terms. Checked all the lines today, the return line to the tank was there, not pinched or anything, along with the feed hose off the tank. Followed hoses to the pump, all looked good, everything seemed to be in the right place.

I realized the Carb is a mikuni carburetor.. heard the name before but didn't know if its stock. No idea on jets in the Carb I just bought the bike, haven't got into it that far yet. Not sure on the plug, but I did clean it last time i rode, so im sure its ok. What gap and plug do you guys run?? And also it looks to have a cone style k&n filter that's very dirty. Ill start there for sure.

I suppose to test the pump I would just pull a fuel line while the bike is running to see if its flowing fuel? Or is there an easier way?

Feel free to ramble on all you'd like, any tips are greatly appreciated. Very helpful. Thanks again and for the compliments on the trikes!

TimSr
05-04-2012, 07:24 PM
To test the fuel pump, simply disconnect the fuel line from the carb, then kick it over. Each time you kick it over it should shoot out a small squirt of gas. Its probably more likely your problem is related to a clogged pilot jet.

The Warrior shock is no upgrade but it is a very suitable replacement. The spring on the Warrior is slightly heaver, but both are for pretty light weight riders, maybe 185-190 or less in serious suspension conditions such as an MX track. You will have to rearrange the resevior. Any aftermarket shock such as Works will work well that is made for Warrior or Banshee provided it does not use a piggyback resevior, and is sprung for your weight range.

Handlebars are a matter or your own personal taste. I like a dirt bike bar with as little rise as possible for the TriZ. ATV bars tend to feel like ape hangers on it.

CasullHunterX
05-08-2012, 12:06 AM
Show your x some love. Yeah the z is beautiful and you can show her off to your friends, but the x will always be there for you. Both are wonderful machines.

TRI-CYCLE
05-10-2012, 01:04 AM
Well I pulled the Carb apart, absolutely cleaner then a whistle. Cleaned all the ports anyway, float was moving freely.. cleaned the air filter and oiled it. Fuel pump is pushing fuel, mixed 91 octane at a 36:1 ratio with Honda CR full synthetic oil...... it still has no balls when choke level is pushed down.. barely idles if at all. Runs well with choke level up.. spark plug maybe? Such a bummer :(

Its starts real hard to. Pretty confused any ideas on what's next on the what to check next list? What should the set screws on Carb be set at?

TRIZMAN
05-10-2012, 07:00 AM
Take the pipe off and dump the oil out of it it could be sucking in oil out of the pipe and bottom end, also check the reeds and a new plug wouldnt hurt. ALSO check to see if it has good spark, nice blue spark but that doesnt always tell you the the spark is perfect either. Im a yamaha guy all the way but i love the honda's now also. I bought a 250r honda and looked like crap but ran great.

TimSr
05-10-2012, 07:43 AM
Well I pulled the Carb apart, absolutely cleaner then a whistle. Cleaned all the ports anyway, float was moving freely.. cleaned the air filter and oiled it. Fuel pump is pushing fuel, mixed 91 octane at a 36:1 ratio with Honda CR full synthetic oil...... it still has no balls when choke level is pushed down.. barely idles if at all. Runs well with choke level up.. spark plug maybe? Such a bummer :(

Its starts real hard to. Pretty confused any ideas on what's next on the what to check next list? What should the set screws on Carb be set at?

When you cleaned the carb, did you remove all the jets and blow carb cleaner or air through each orifice and verify it exits te carb somewhere else?
Did you install a clean plug? What does it look like after you ride it?
Is compression good?
Does it miss or sputter, or just a general bogging and lack of power?

Measure the inlet side I.D. of the carb and verify that its 32mm, Mikuni, round slide, with plunger (not lever) type choke.
What size main jet is in it?
Starting point for pilot screw is almost always 1 1/2 turns out on about everything ever made, is adjusted to best thottle response off of idle, and it is not relevant in the problem you are seeing. The other screw with the lock nut lifts the throttle slide to adjust engine idle speed. If your bike idles, and is not idling too high, its good, and is also not relevant to your problem.

mountaincat2001
05-11-2012, 12:16 PM
sweeeeeeeeeeet z. The problem im having is a broken skirt on the bottom of my cylinder and the other problem that most people have is the pressurizing of the coolant bottle...nice....welcome to the gang and nice trikes.

TRI-CYCLE
05-20-2012, 04:16 PM
Thanks fellas. I checked spark. It seems to be getting great consistent spark. I cleaned orfices and made sure air came out somewhere as I blew through them. The Carb was literally spotless. Brand new like condition. Its a mikuni with a plunger style choke (little rubber round plunger where lever hooks to Carb) I think ill just take it in to the shop and have them fix the dang thing right. But I will say it runs flawlessly with choke up. Doesn't miss a beat, you hit power band and its GONE. Ill try the pipe oil trick though. Damn thing wheelied hard out of third gear while riding last week. Threw me on my ass. (Don't worry trike did NOT get damaged :)) thanks for the compliments guys!

TRI-CYCLE
05-20-2012, 04:23 PM
Timsr, its got great compression, if you were blindfolded you would be tempted to think your kick starting a brand new Harley. Not sure on the main jet size.. sorry man. But when lever is pushed down, it will seem to idle, and sometimes rev, not really a sputter though its more of a "woo ohm woooohm" bogging down real low with no power kind of problem. You hit the gas and it just idles down to death.

Bike sat for 2 years though. Thinking something I didn't see is sticking in the Carb. Been running high octane through it in an attempt to clear it out possibly. Ill pull the plug next time I get off of it and check the condition. Thank you!!

TRI-CYCLE
05-20-2012, 04:26 PM
Take the pipe off and dump the oil out of it it could be sucking in oil out of the pipe and bottom end, also check the reeds and a new plug wouldnt hurt. ALSO check to see if it has good spark, nice blue spark but that doesnt always tell you the the spark is perfect either. Im a yamaha guy all the way but i love the honda's now also. I bought a 250r honda and looked like crap but ran great.

Yeah man my Honda 200x looks alright.. needs new plastics and tank paint.. but damn it, its so solid, not an ounce of play in nothing on it and the design is extremely basic... runs like a freaking raped ape too. Yamaha definitly modernized their design. I love them all!

Davyboy
03-25-2014, 05:06 PM
Ive got a similar problem, my 85 tri z runs good on short blasts over the hills and idles perfectly but if i take it on a long run it bogs down and will stop unless i can get the choke on it quickly. It feels like its running out of fuel but the tanks full. I changed the plug and fuel diaphram but it made no difference, a longish run it starts miss firing and spluttering and dies
Any ideas
No mods done that i know off and the carb seems clean enough
Have heard that swapping to a 250 R carb sorts this out as some tri z's had this problem!!