PDA

View Full Version : need help with my 1985 yamaha 225DX

Speed Demon
04-29-2012, 05:51 PM
Hi everyone, i'm having trouble starting my 1985 tamaha 225DX. i recently took it off a friends hands after it had been sitting on her farm for 10 years or so. i have done the following:

replaced the air filter
replaced oil filter
cleaned the carb twice
bought a new spark plug
put new oil in it
put new gas in it
bought a new YUASA battery for it

when i try to start it using either electric or pull, the engine turns over but doesnt start. the spark plug does give a spark however it never seems to ignite the gasoline in the cylinder.

if anyone has suggestions as what i need to do, please let me know!
Owen

WJG1000W
04-29-2012, 08:03 PM
trickle some gas into the cylinder and put the plug in or spray starter fluid into the carb while starting it
also you should be able to see through the jets and make sure the float is working

SarahEve9001
04-29-2012, 10:23 PM
It may just be that it hasn't been driven in a while. When I got mine it hadn't been rode in 7 years and I had the same problem. Did you try pull starting it? That's what finally did the trick for me. Otherwise make sure all of your adjustments are correct on your carb - especially the fuel air mixture. Check to see if your choke imight be stuck open and try feathering the gas as you pull it over.

muthey
04-29-2012, 10:35 PM
There is alot it could be what concerns me is the spark is it weak? do a ohm test on the coil and the stator, also trim about a 1/4 " off of the plug wire where it screws into the plug cap. Also pull the timing cove by the pull start, and the side cover on the cylider head and check that the marks line up. info on the ohm testing can be found in the down loadable manual found here http://www.oscarmayer.net/atc/manuals/ Good luck and let us know what you find out. Also check for corrosion in the handlebar kill switch.

17bn
04-30-2012, 11:33 AM
try rolling it down a hill, and kick the clutch into gear

17bn
04-30-2012, 11:36 AM
or if there is oil on the spark plug, get the tip and burn the oil off of it

Speed Demon
04-30-2012, 03:32 PM
thanks for the replies everyone

i've tried trickling fuel into the cylinder and still nothing, carb jets are clean, float is working and the choke is working. still need to make sure everything is lined up. another thing is that when i try to pull start it, the engine will become pretty hard to turn on every third turn...not sure if this means anything?
Owen

SarahEve9001
04-30-2012, 04:13 PM
That's because the piston is on its compression stroke. It's nothing to worry about. if its too hard to turn flip the compression lever up, which is located towards the front of the head by the exhaust valve cover.

Speed Demon
04-30-2012, 07:25 PM
Just checked the valve adjustment and everything is lined up correctly . How would I check to see if I have a weak spark? Also compression lever makes the pull start so much easier, glad that it wasn't just another problem

Speed Demon
04-30-2012, 07:32 PM
Another thing is that neither the headlight is the tailight turn on when I use the switch to turn them on. I bought OEM replacement bulbs for both. The neutral indicator light however works fine. so I was wondering if there was a connection issue?
Owen

Speed Demon
04-30-2012, 07:49 PM
Headlight or tailight *

muthey
04-30-2012, 08:12 PM
head light and tail light only work when the trike is running they don't get power from the battery. you can ohm test the stator and the coil the link to the manual I sent you will have the readings you'll need. If those check out then it is in your wiring somewhere.

Lil Earl
04-30-2012, 09:23 PM
before i rebuilt mine, i sometimes had a hard time starting it, have someone pull you to bump start it, but befor you start getting pulled, put it in 1st gear then lift the lever up and hold it, that will almost put in like a neutral state, once you get up to a pretty decent speed, let he lever down and it will bump itself in 2nd without grinding the gears

CasullHunterX
05-01-2012, 09:07 PM
Check your float needle, sometimes even when the float is working, the rubber on the needle may not seal right and flood the carb.

Speed Demon
05-10-2012, 03:52 PM
I was able to get it started after replacing the ignition coil and putting a few drops of gas into the cylinder but it quit after a couple of seconds.. anyone know what to do from here?