PDA

View Full Version : Yamaha 225dx engine locked.

SarahEve9001
04-30-2012, 11:02 AM
So..I was riding yesterday, and heard some rattling coming from the clutch case. Thought it'd be a good idea to bring it home. On my way back I was topping out in third gear when it started to lose power and shut off completely. When I reached down to turn it over, the pull cord would not budge. Could it have been the clutch that locked the engine? I say this because it was acting strange. While shifting to a higher gear the machine would buck. I'm going to tear apart the clutch today, but I just wanted some other opinions. I just replaced the rings, valves were recently adjusted too.
I don't know too much about these, so any help would be greatly appreciated :)

muthey
04-30-2012, 02:37 PM
pull the right side off and you will see if your clutch is fried, next question is what oil and gas were you running in it?

Kreece
04-30-2012, 03:08 PM
Sounds as though the clutch is fried! Whenever you shift gears, it shouldn't buck like you stated. The nut under the clutch cover(right side) is how you adjust it.

SarahEve9001
04-30-2012, 04:27 PM
Well, turns out I dropped my intake valve. *cry* :( Not sure how this happened unless it somehow jumped time...
BUT I did take off the clutch cover and the adjuster nut was so loose I could turn it with my fingers. I don't know if this explains the bucking, but its the only thing I can figure....
And to answer your question I run just the standard SAE-10W30 in it.
.......Just my luck. :(

muthey
04-30-2012, 08:14 PM
on a side note I recommend running 10w-40 yamalube once you get it put back together. Sorry to hear about the valve, I have a feeling there is something more wrong in the motor than just the valve though.

SarahEve9001
04-30-2012, 09:17 PM
I will do that. And I have the same feeling. Since the valve didn't break of its own flaw, I'm thinking it must have jumped time so the valve smacked into the piston and bent it. on the bright side, there's no damage to the piston. Thank you for your help :)

muthey
04-30-2012, 11:06 PM
one nice thing about yammi's is that they are really easy to time, if yours jumped time I have a feeling either the timing tensioner wasn't adjusted right or you need a new timing chain

Howdy
05-01-2012, 01:56 AM
I would do a Very good inspection on the piston. I seen one valve that had hit the piston before. Guy put a new valve in only to have the piston fail 2 months later. when it failed all the parts fell into the tranny. He was looking for a new motor when he came to me.

FYI, I know of at least 10 Yamaha's that bent valves. Normally from over rev'ing.
Howdy

SarahEve9001
05-01-2012, 04:53 PM
I will definitely do a full inspection before slapping it together and riding it again. Because yeah, there's a reason why it happened...and I don't want to take the chance of it happening again.
Thanks for your help :)