PDA

View Full Version : 250ex

polabareus
11-19-2003, 10:47 PM
I just got a 250ex today brand new from the dealer and when I got home and rode it I noticed it pops alittle on deceleration. So I call the dealer and a mechanic gets on the phone and tells me that they sometimes do that and not to worry. He then tells me that the muffler will glow red after riding for awhile and that thats normal too. Is that right? Anyone else ever hear of that happening?

350Xccelerator
11-19-2003, 11:25 PM
its very common with new quads, dont worry too much.

Dan Tenn
11-20-2003, 10:14 AM
I have found that most of the time the popping during deceleration is due to the engine running lean. Do a plug chop, it will let you know. It is very common pratice for companys who sell bikes and atvs to set them as lean as they will go in order to get lower emissions. Remember lean is clean, but also hot. Harleys are famous for this. In fact, polaris used to recommend putting a different pipe and jetting in some of their sleds right from the factory. It was part of the owners manual. They did this for two reasons: 1. lower stated HP than with good pipe and jetting (lower insurance for everyone) 2. Lower emissions (less fees paid to EPA by maker)

TimSr
11-20-2003, 10:57 AM
If its brand new, I wouldnt monkey with anything until its broke in, and without checking with your dealer to see what is and is not covered by warranty, and what changes made by you that may void the warranty.

I would disagree with Dann Tenn about ATVs normally set lean as possible. For automobiles I would agree, (my brother is a GM tech) but not for ATVs. Just the opposite. Its best to 'err on the side if rich because of the possible consequences in each direction, and I think they keep that in mind. Ive never run into a new stock machine jetted to lean, but Ive seen more than not setup on the rich side. I dont know anything about snowmobiles.

In all honesty I dont know what emission standards ATVs are held to, if any, but it cant be too strict, or the new 2 strokes would never pass. I think some individual states may make life a little more difficult, but Ive never heard of any case of a 4 stroke ATV being restricted or rejected for not passing some kind of emissions test, so I just cant imagine MFG's setting them up lean, to run crappy, and suffer possible melt down to reduce emmissions. I could be wrong, and I could be swayed with the right evidence.

200Xtreme
11-20-2003, 06:45 PM
I would agree that most sleds and atv's are set up on the rich side from the factory. To lean causes hot engines (lessens life). The colder the ambient temp. the more fuel . (richer) an engine needs to be. This is why mfgs. set up their machine slightly rich from the factory. So you can run it hard on the coldest day, without suffering probs. This is especially true with 2-strokes.

polabareus
11-22-2003, 01:15 AM
Yeah, brought the bike back to the dealer and they had it fixed and to me the next day. Apparently honda sprays some protective stuff all over the bikes when they ship them and then when the dealer assembles the bike they clean everything off and make sure its removed. Sometimes they miss abit of it and the mechanic told me some must have been left in the air box and then it got sucked into the carb. So they cleaned the carb and its running good now. I still hear just the slightest popping but I think Im just a little too picky sometimes.