PDA

View Full Version : 1982 ATC 200 Hard to start

kormos_93
05-01-2012, 11:26 PM
I've got a pull start '82 Atc 200 I just picked up. It sat outside since new I would say but anyway it takes about 8 pulls to get it to fire up & usually dies a 3 or 4 times before staying running. Cleaned carb (also adjusted), air filter, checked exhaust pipe, new plug, fresh gas in clean tank. (& it likes to die when shifted into 1st gear but goes good after it's moving) Any Ideas?

davrei87sx
05-01-2012, 11:32 PM
check your spark plug? full choke with first pull, let choke off and try again. Possible fuel.air screw adjustment is off? I believe from fully closed the screw should be turned open 1 1/4 turns, also maybe turn up idle screw?

kormos_93
05-01-2012, 11:42 PM
O.K, has new plug & that's what I figured it would be is the fuel/air screw, I tried adjusting it but it didn't seem to make a difference, I think it's about 3 turns out right now.

davrei87sx
05-01-2012, 11:49 PM
3 turns is way too far out, one of your needle jets may still be clogged. one trick you could try is when you have it running (with the air filter off to expose the intake of the carb, spray a little brake cleaner or carb cleaner in the carb while its running. It may smoke for a minute but it can clean it out pretty good.

kormos_93
05-01-2012, 11:51 PM
Carb is very clean, had it off & cleaned & blew out all the jets & used a little wire to clean all the holes. Will try adjusting the air/fuel screw again although I didn't think that setting would make it difficult to start...?

davrei87sx
05-01-2012, 11:58 PM
when I had my 200 I had alot of trouble with my carb. The last problem that I cam across was with my float not set right, I don't know off hand what the measurement is supposed to be.

Robert Lipiner
05-15-2012, 06:49 PM
Maybe try adjusting the Idle screw

WJG1000W
05-15-2012, 09:32 PM
could be compression how much does it smoke
Valves?

tri again
05-21-2012, 04:47 AM
3 turns is way too far out, one of your needle jets may still be clogged. one trick you could try is when you have it running (with the air filter off to expose the intake of the carb, spray a little brake cleaner or carb cleaner in the carb while its running. It may smoke for a minute but it can clean it out pretty good.

OOOOH MAJOR CAUTION
on burning brakleen.

http://www.brewracingframes.com/id75.htm

http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthread.php/127373-Deadly-poison-gas-from-welding-something-you-cleaned-with-brakleen?highlight=brake+cleaner

It turns into phosgene gas.
Something they used in ww1 to kill people.
NO kidding.

There was an article on here where some guy used brakleen to clean something he
went on to weld.

The tiniest puff of smoke put him in the hospital with permanent lung injuries.

sorry for the bad news.

x2 on cleaning the carb however.

Will it take off if you keep the choke on a little?
You can also nip the last tiny bit off the plug wire so the spark plug cap has some fresh wire to bite into.
EZ and free, takes no time at all and has been known to cause hair pulling problems.