PDA

View Full Version : kawasali tecate. need help!! or and advice

zach8311
05-02-2012, 09:08 AM
Ok. So heres what i got. I have an 85 tecate. Got it not knowing if it even ran. It sat for a good time before i got it. Maybe 2 years or so. Well the guy i got it from said it was all rebuilt before he got it. I got it home. Cleaned the carb. Installed a new plug. It ran but not to good. It missed out bad on top end and didnt idle either. Well i ran it for a while and just so happens it ran great for maybe 10 min. Well found the head gasket was bad. Replaced it. Still did the same thing. I go to work on it last night and it didnt want to start. Ran the night before. So i got all mad and tore the motor down. Took off the cylinder and clutch cover off checking it out. Looks to have a new crank amd pistone and newer sleeve. Not sure. But it was clean. Im at a stand still on knowing what to do. It didnt seem to be sucking threw the carb before i dissasemled it. And didnt seem to have good compression either. What can i do to fix this!! I need any help. New to this trike and just still learning about it.

Swinger
05-02-2012, 09:32 AM
Did you find milky oil? Did you happen to do a plug chop? You could have a few things going on. How does your carb boot look? They get dry rotted and will suck some air.

zach8311
05-02-2012, 09:42 AM
Ehh kind of man. I mean would it be brownish like engine oil does when it has antifreeze mixed or like a greyish sort of color?? And yeah it is kind of dry rotted but it doesnt look like theres any cracks inside the boot that i can see. Would crank seals cause my to get extra oil into the crank area. Or maybe the carbs to bit or jeting to big. But would the crank seals casuse me to loose compression??

Swinger
05-02-2012, 09:51 AM
It would be greyish. Look up jeswinehart and get a new boot to be on the safe side. Im not sure about the crank seal with the oil but shouldnt make you lose compression, maybe rings?? Jetting is a possibility thats why I asked about the plug chop. Check out the top of the cylinder and see if there is a lip from where the sleeve is. May need to deck it. I had all these problems with mine at the same time. Smoking white smoke bad( antifreeze in oil) caused by bad water pump seals and bearings and/or my head need decked also. Ran the same as you are saying in the top end. Still not back together so cant tell you how it all worked out.

zach8311
05-02-2012, 10:01 AM
Ok well it looked a little milky. But not like antifreeze was getting into. It could have just been old. And what do u mean the plug chop?? Little new to some stuff so im still learning. And yeah i might see what it will cost to get it decked. If its not to much ill just have it done. Couldnt hurt. Is it on the top of the sleeve i looke for or in the cylinder wall??

Swinger
05-02-2012, 10:10 AM
A plug chop is when you run it for whats she is worth and kill the motor and pull the plug to see what it looks like. Carboned and black means rich and white means lean. When you have the head off the cylinder, the very top everything should be smooth from cylinder to sleeve. If it needs decked you can do it yourself with a good piece of glass and 220 sand paper. Pull you head studs and flip her upside down and start sanding till its nice and smooth transistion. If its alot that you have to remove make sure to do a squish test before trying to run it so you know you have the clearance you need. Check your cylinder wall for any gouges while you got it apart, it may need a little work and might as well do it while its apart.

zach8311
05-02-2012, 10:19 AM
Yeah ive done that. Before i changed the head gasket last. It was gettinf antifreeze into the cylinder and washing the plug. No it came back black aftwr that. I tore it down last night. So im going to deck the cylinder and head and see what that does. Is there anything else i should dk or check since i have it apart?? And id like to go back to the stock carb because the flat slide doesnt seem right for some reason

Swinger
05-02-2012, 10:23 AM
Sounds like a good start. Get it back together and see what happens. Carb and a new boot or even just silicone the crap out of it to see if it helps and fixes it, if so get a new one. Good luck.

zach8311
05-02-2012, 12:16 PM
Cool man ill do that. I heard u could use that plastic dip stuff from lowes or autozone and that works. But im still not sure if its the carb boot. Because i think it was getting to much gas. But not sure. Wish i had the round slide for my stock carb. Or else id put on the trike

fabiodriven
05-02-2012, 01:32 PM
:shiftyeyes:Trailpros:shiftyeyes:

fabiodriven
05-02-2012, 01:35 PM
My suggestion, which I know some people aren't going to like, is to completely disassemble the machine from top to bottom and rebuild everything. This is a 25 year old machine we are dealing with here. If you fix one thing, something else is going to break. Everything is probably worn out and/or leaking.

Bores wear out.

Seals wear out.

Bearings wear out.

Hoses wear out.

Rubber rots and cracks.

You either have the love or you don't.