PDA

View Full Version : 84' atc200es wont run,but fires when pulled

idfk420
05-02-2012, 12:15 PM
I have no clue what the problem is... It gets fire,fuel,and air... Carb floods with electric start,but not with pull rope,,pulled the trike in 3-4 hi gear with lawn mower and got it to fire, sound changed when I toggled engine run switch and when I messed with throttle,,,new coil,new plug, clean gas, clean carb,replaced all fuses and still nothing... I can take pics and videos for anyone who needs them... Just tell me what you wanna see up close... and feel free to ask any question you need to as I am sitting with it and plan to work on it as soon as I get a reply...

Thank you for your time,
Jerry

idfk420
05-02-2012, 08:26 PM
I found the service manual on the site and tuned the carb according to it...still nothing,, same sounds when being pulled behind the mower. It did backfire a bit more though. Otherwise, exactly the same... Going to go over the manual in depth when I get time tonight. Still,i welcome any advice on what to check/adjust/replace and so on... my neighbor has a few skeletons with all guts to the side if I need a specific component...

idfk420
05-03-2012, 01:52 PM
>Browsed through< the service manual and still can't find the problem... Took carb apart,re-cleaned it, looked in cylinder to see that it was in ok condition. I'm completely stumped people... Everything I've looked at checks out, and I feel like it its something super simple to clean or replace to get it going... Still, I'm gladly accepting any advice/tips/instructions/guesses as to what may be the problem... Time is not an issue so just take a shot in the dark :)

edit in ><

Flossyb20
05-03-2012, 02:03 PM
If you're absolutely sure the carb is good, then check you cam timing, and make sure your CDI is working as it should...what color is the spark on the plug,,,should be a very bright white when it fires, if it's a thin blue, you may have a stator or voltage regulator issue. Also...have you put a new plug in lately?

idfk420
05-03-2012, 10:00 PM
If you're absolutely sure the carb is good, then check you cam timing, and make sure your CDI is working as it should...what color is the spark on the plug,,,should be a very bright white when it fires, if it's a thin blue, you may have a stator or voltage regulator issue. Also...have you put a new plug in lately?

New plug, new coil..but has the blue spark, not white... How would I check cam timing?

Flossyb20
05-03-2012, 10:51 PM
Pull the cover off that says CDI on it , then remove the plate behind it as well, you should see your cam gear with a 0 mark on it. Just below your jug on the side case is a big slotted plug on top of the side case...take that off and rotate the engine until you see the T on the flywheel through the hole, you should also now have your cam gear line up with the mark on top (at 12 o'clock)...

idfk420
05-04-2012, 12:20 PM
gonna go try that now,,

muthey
05-04-2012, 01:46 PM
on a side note pay attention to the brushes behind the cover that says cdi, and flip it 180* from where it was as if those springed brushes are off, it will cause you to spark at the wrong time just a helpful hint for you.

idfk420
05-04-2012, 07:38 PM
Pull the cover off that says CDI on it , then remove the plate behind it as well, you should see your cam gear with a 0 mark on it. Just below your jug on the side case is a big slotted plug on top of the side case...take that off and rotate the engine until you see the T on the flywheel through the hole, you should also now have your cam gear line up with the mark on top (at 12 o'clock)...

How do I move flywheel seperate from gear to align? Gear was about a quarter turn off...

idfk420
05-04-2012, 08:12 PM
Here is what I got

If you zoom on second pic you can see the f and t on the flywheel... Do I have it lined right?

Flossyb20
05-04-2012, 10:54 PM
You need to remove that whole CDI unit to check the cam timing. If you read the service manual, it will show you exactly how to set the timing. You need to remove that 10mm bolt holding the rotor on, and the 2 philips screws holding the plate on, and ethe whole thing as one unit. Be careful not to lose the pin that's in the cam, it makes it so the rotor spins...then you should be able to see your cam gear,and then check the timing. What you show in the picture looks good so far.

idfk420
05-05-2012, 12:50 PM
You need to remove that whole CDI unit to check the cam timing. If you read the service manual, it will show you exactly how to set the timing. You need to remove that 10mm bolt holding the rotor on, and the 2 philips screws holding the plate on, and ethe whole thing as one unit. Be careful not to lose the pin that's in the cam, it makes it so the rotor spins...then you should be able to see your cam gear,and then check the timing. What you show in the picture looks good so far.

Ok,,,i see what you are talking about. I didnt completely read it the first time,,just skimmed through what my phone could produce at the time. Lol. I am on my way home now to look at the REAL timing...

P.s. Thank you to all that are trying to help. Yall are more friendly than most family here(my close cuz works on atv's for a job<douchebag)

idfk420
05-05-2012, 01:34 PM
Everything seems in time...

Here is the cam sprocket146423

Flywheel picture is the same thing,T on top... is this right?

tulsamike3434
05-05-2012, 01:51 PM
Just hit up the manual and start the trouble shooting go down the list

tulsamike3434
05-05-2012, 01:53 PM
i'm going to have to do the same with my 110 build! I have the same problem.

idfk420
05-06-2012, 03:36 PM
Performed every troubleshoot option that applies and still the same,, its in time, flame is now white, carb is as it should be... This sounds like a job for "House", lol but yeah, I'm lost on what to do now...

muthey
05-06-2012, 05:31 PM
so what you are saying is the trike still doesn't run right?, if that is the issue and you have spark and fuel, remember the spring and brush assembly behind the pulse generator rotor you had to take off the cam, well go back in there and pull that all off again, and turn those spring loaded brushes 180* and put it all back together again, it can possibly be that your spark is out of time with just those. that doesn't do it then there is an issue with the carb and you'll need a new one.

idfk420
05-06-2012, 07:40 PM
so what you are saying is the trike still doesn't run right?, if that is the issue and you have spark and fuel, remember the spring and brush assembly behind the pulse generator rotor you had to take off the cam, well go back in there and pull that all off again, and turn those spring loaded brushes 180* and put it all back together again, it can possibly be that your spark is out of time with just those. that doesn't do it then there is an issue with the carb and you'll need a new one.

was afraid of that... I'll look tonight online for a new carb and hope that's all it is... but I can't get too down and out over it because it was free...

idfk420
05-17-2012, 06:46 PM
Got my old carb cleaned really good,put it on,pulled it in 4th,then 3rd,and it ran!!! Slightly high and highly rough idle,weak pull,block gets super hot really fast... Any suggestions?

muthey
05-18-2012, 07:49 AM
if the block is getting hot fast then you are usually running lean try to richen it up a little, if not then the carb may just be shot.

idfk420
05-22-2012, 02:20 PM
if the block is getting hot fast then you are usually running lean try to richen it up a little, if not then the carb may just be shot.

I basically FORCED it to run the other day, and apparently that's a bad idea in my case... I try to crank it up and I heart a tickin noise in time with the piston :( looks like I need a top end re build... Know any good online places I can ship it to to have it bored? (just the cylinder)

Phil Mazzie
06-16-2012, 04:19 PM
Sorry to hear that man. Mine wouldn't start after coming back from a camping trip. It had turned out my son left the gas on after riding it into the yard to be put away. I had to change the oil and filter and it ran great again. Was hoping to give you that info , but alas I am to late. Hope you find someone to fix it.

kb0nly
06-16-2012, 09:25 PM
Is it a loud tick? Take that CDI cover off again, does the noise get louder? Mine was driving me nuts, went through everything then took that cover off and discovered my pulse generator rotor is wore out and rattling. Got one bought from Howdy on here and that should quiet the old girl down finally.

Oh that brings up another thing, have you adjusted the valves?? With the engine cold, like having sat overnight cold, pull off the valve adjust caps and set them. All you need is a 10mm wrench, a flat screwdriver, a stubby one for the exhaust and a long one to go down between the frame to do the intake valve, and a .002 inch or .05mm feeler gauge. Mine was LOUD when i got it, they had the valves wrong, like way way wrong. After putting my new exhaust on the valve noise was driving me crazy. Adjusted them and most of the noise went away, the last turns out to be the CDI rotor clinking on its bushing.