PDA

View Full Version : Best way to remove old broken exhaust studs?

Kreece
05-03-2012, 10:08 AM
I will post some pictures later, but just getting some advice. When i removed my exhaust the nuts broke off and now I have old crappy bolts sticking out. They are pretty brittle as well, what is the best way to remove them and replace with new ones? Do they unthread or are they just sunk in? Please let me know if you have any ideas or have had the same problem.

swampthang
05-03-2012, 11:41 AM
Well the best way to repair it would be to take the head off the motor and have a machine shop drill them out. Thats what I did on my 350x they drilled out all 4 studs and I was able to reinstall the stock size studs. They only charged me $40 and they said it would have been less but the guy broke his drill bit trying to drill one of them out.

The other method that usually dosent work is to try and drill them out with a hand drill. This usually results in damage to the head. I have seen guys do this this way and have a decent repair but I myself wouldnt do it.

Kreece
05-03-2012, 02:18 PM
That's kinda what I was afraid of. Do they thread out or are they just ring shanked in?

fabiodriven
05-03-2012, 02:21 PM
They thread out but if I'm not mistaken, the threads have a bit of a "lock" pattern to them. Like suggested, it's best to pull the head and have a professional do it.

coolpool
05-04-2012, 12:20 AM
Doesn't dirtcrasher do this type of repair on a regular basis? Just thinking out loud.

fabiodriven
05-04-2012, 08:22 AM
Doesn't dirtcrasher do this type of repair on a regular basis? Just thinking out loud.

He was but he's been a bit busy lately with work.

magner17
05-04-2012, 10:19 AM
You might try heating them up and tapping them on the end to loosen the locks up then take them out. If all else fails off to the machine shop you go.

hogmuffin
05-04-2012, 09:45 PM
never tried this on a trike engine before, but in other situations, if there is enough room left, you can try welding a nut on the end of the stud and then while they are still hot from the weld, try unscrewing them.