PDA

View Full Version : Broken woodruff key. Now what

trimoto200e
05-05-2012, 06:53 PM
I pulled apart a bike im trying to get running. its an 84 ytm 200er. I found something bad. A sheared woodruff key. Called yamaha, they said they would call me back....I went through this crap once before. They wouldnt ^%#£ on you if you were on fire here if your not needing a new ride or parts for it. They dont understand that if and when I need an outboard, generator (bought a honda), or a new bike, I surely will not be buying a yamaha.

So anyone have a line on how to get this small bit of metal? I dont have a part # or specs on it and dont know where to begin. The trike resurection is dead in the water without it.

Bill

WJG1000W
05-05-2012, 10:05 PM
service manual

yaegerb
05-05-2012, 10:19 PM
First off, your bike is an 85. When I cross referenced your model, it came across as an 85 YTM 200 ERN. I have pasted the link below for your woodruff key. Its 4 bucks on bikebandit.

Bike Bandit Part Number: 1269094
Yamaha Part Number: (90280-05048-00)

http://www.bikebandit.com/houseofmotorcycles/1985-yamaha-tri-moto-200er-ytm200ern/o/m146957#sch232719

trimoto200e
05-05-2012, 10:39 PM
I dont doubt you, I saw 84 on the middle fork and assumed that meant year. I think howdy mentioned to me they didnt introduce reverse til 85. I appreciate that yaegerb. I got off the phone with Yamaha and googled the part. The first 5 links led me nowhere so I knew my best shot was to post here.
Thanks again.
Bill

yaegerb
05-05-2012, 10:48 PM
No worries, that's what we here for. Have fun!

muthey
05-06-2012, 11:11 AM
Here's something else you might want to try as well alot of part stores carry woodruff keys in many different sizes. the crank pulley on one of my cars was a woodruff key and I had to replace it once. I paid about 2$ at a local autozone and was done with the car in about 30 min. You might want to check locally as well, alot of people don't have a clue on what a woodruff key is.

TimSr
05-06-2012, 01:11 PM
The mfg date is not the model year. Typically anything after the 6th month is the next model year.

There are a million parts sites with parts diagrams and part numbers one the web from which you can get a part number, such as Partfish or Bikebandit, even if they don't ship to Canada.

The idea that you would never buy a Yamaha because somebody on the phone couldn't give you a part number is silly. When you "called Yamaha" WHO exactly did you call and did they speak Japanese?

muthey
05-06-2012, 05:42 PM
exactly, and a woodruff key is such a simple part to get it might not even show up on a parts list, I know it does but seriously, I cut them out of raw stock all the time. All you need to know is the width and length and you can get one any where.

trimoto200e
05-06-2012, 10:35 PM
I guess I did sound a bit crazy on with the info posted. I am really not nuts lol. You would have to live here and visit the dealership to understand. Or ask a random person on the street. It would be safe to say it would not be long before someone had a horror story for you about yamaha here. I personally know three, 2 bikes and one boat.
To clarify my last experience. I reluctantly called about the key. The parts person gave me the sigh. Then said he would have to call me back. he didnt have my #. Im not holding my breath, its a 5$ part. A month ago, I was in the dealership trying to get a wheel castle nut for the same bike. I called back a couple times and they didnt have any progress. Luckily I didnt wait and Howdie hooked me up. Needless to say they never got back to me. Im not expecting much on the key.
We have a quite a few monopoly situations up here. When there is no competition, the customers suffer.

trimoto200e
05-06-2012, 10:47 PM
I think I may have to shop locally or make one, bike bandit has one for 5 bucks. Shipping to me ...36$. I tried to stock up a cart to make it worthwile but my needit list is limited atm. I removed the two pieces and can put them together to get a good idea of what I need.

If I need to make one, any particular metal?

muthey
05-07-2012, 02:31 PM
there actually is a key stock material that you can make it out of