PDA

View Full Version : tecate 3 issues, please help

triZtwin
05-09-2012, 02:35 PM
i am looking for some help on a tecate 3 i just bought. ill tell ya my problem anyways, we bought this bike for dirt cheap. my little brother wanted a two stroke trike after i got my tri Z. but he loves the lime green, so why not a tecate right? anyways the bike starts up but smokes like most two strokes do. but it acts like the spark is intermitten, like its only firing every other revolution. i am not a idiot when it comes to small engines, but i dont think its carburetion as much as i do a stater or CDI problem. when you rev it up it it acts like its starving for fuel. but when at idle it wont stay running unless u give it a little twist on the handle. and some times it acts like it has no spark!!! can anyone give me an idea. i am just looking to see if this problem soundsl ike carb issue or elec. thankks

just ben
05-09-2012, 04:02 PM
they can be very finicky engines and are very well known for stator issues. The cdi's seem bulletproof I havn't seen a bad one yet. I would download the service manual, then ohm test the stator. I have had 2 stators go bad in the past year. The symtoms were very different though. One had intermittent spark and the other would run but only at high rpms. A link to the manual is available here,just search tecate manual and it should come up. If you can't find it let us know and myself or someone else will post the link later.

ylwgtr
05-10-2012, 02:46 AM
Maybe put a timing light on the lead and power the light with a remote battery to see if its missing spark whilst running.Have you had the carb apart?how healthy is the engine?Has is been sittting for years?If it has been sitting id be suspect to crank seals and inlet rubber for leak causing it to run lean(even though there is smoke it may be drawing in gearbox oil from the right side)You may have both spark and mixture issues....try the timing light thing to eliminate spark first

triZtwin
05-10-2012, 01:52 PM
the motor seems healthy. has great compression. and yeah i think its an intermitten spark issue. but i really appreciate the help. gonna get a stock carb soon and rule out that issue. how hard is it to change those seals? and if they are bad, would it show anywhere on the motor? like on the stater or something?

just ben
05-10-2012, 05:18 PM
the cases need to be split to do the crank seals. why spend money on a carb if you think it is electrical? It take 5 min. to test the ignition system and it's free. you can get the manual free here http://www.oscarmayer.net/atc/manuals/ antivirus may tell you it's unsafe or unknown but trust me and everyone else on here that the downloads are safe.

triZtwin
05-10-2012, 11:34 PM
cause its not the stock carb, i want the stock one to get started, and thanks i will down load that, i appreciate the help

WJG1000W
05-11-2012, 10:00 PM
hows your spark plug