PDA

View Full Version : 1984 honda atc 200x clutch problems??

brand0152
05-09-2012, 08:48 PM
just bought a 84 200x the guy said it ran fine untill he tried poping it in gear to get it started (idiot). well ive got it running great idles fine pull the clutch in put it in gear and nothing wont go you can feel it goin in gear but wont move. any ideas? clutch plates look fine but in no expert. any help is appretiated

yaegerb
05-09-2012, 10:47 PM
IMO its one or all of three things.

1. Plates
2. springs
3. Worn clutch lifter

I doubt your clutch lifter is fried, unless someone was REALLY hard on the clutch. I have seen them chipped before and still work. Just buy some new plates and springs. They come in a kit, I recommend barnett. You will also need the clutch cover gasket and the kicker gasket for when it goes back together. All in all you will likely spend approximately 90.00 to fix.

Also...if you do buy new plates, soak your fiber plates in the same oil you will run in your engine, 15 minutes prior to installation. I recommend bead blasting the metal plates. If you don't have a blaster then you can gently rub with a lighter grit sandpaper. It gives them a little more grip and extends their life.

brand0152
05-09-2012, 11:19 PM
thats what i was going to try i figured it would be the cheapest easiest fix but wanted to get a few opinions to see it you guys thought it could be some thing else