PDA

View Full Version : Anybody else get Poison Ivy constantly?

swampthang
05-10-2012, 12:57 PM
Damn my sensitive skin! Ever sense I first ventured into the woods on a atv I have had some patch of poison ive on my body. I've heard you biuld up a resistance to it after you have had it so many time. B.S.:lol: I rode in nothing but flood water last weekend and sure enough I have it on my legs in spots even though I was wearing jeans and never touched anything but water. This sux what do you guys do to prevent getting it so often?

rjs89ia
05-10-2012, 01:11 PM
i just stay away from it lol, even tho i live in az now and there is no poison ivy around here. but when im in iowa and around poison ivy i usually take a cold shower afterwards to wash away any of the residue it works most of the time but not always. i hear that using germ-x wipes helps too remove any residue too.

tulsamike3434
05-10-2012, 01:17 PM
I myself have never had poison ivy but my x brother inlaw has a real bad reaction to it once when we were kids he got it in his mouth and had to go to the ER cause he was having trouble breathing.

HONDA_ATC_FREAK
05-10-2012, 01:23 PM
I'd suggest washing any skin you think may have come in contact with poison ivy as soon as you can with hot water and some dawn dish soap. Other than that and wearing jeans, boots, maybe a long sleeve shirt your pretty much screwed cause you don't have to touch poison ivy or oak to get it all you have to do is touch something that has been in contact with it cause it's the oil on the plant that gets you.

fabiodriven
05-10-2012, 02:23 PM
I seem to get it about once a year. The best stuff I have found to take care of it is a poison ivy "wash" that washes it away, but that's after you've already got it. It might wash the oil off if you know you've been in contact with it but don't yet have any breakouts.

The product I got was about $30 for the bottle, but absolutely worth every single penny. I washed the poison ivy with it when I was in the shower and it literally just washed the breakout away! I couldn't believe it! The breakouts do come back after a few hours but then you just wash them away again. If you're interested I can take a pic of the product when I get home so you can see what it is. I highly recommend it.

rdlsz24
05-10-2012, 02:41 PM
That's weird you get it without coming in contact. I've only had it twice. Once from running through a woods in shorts and t-shirt as part of a high school football training program (dumb.. half the team got the rash) and another time I was helping a friend clean out a woods. I had gloves on and I got the rash right where my glove stopped and up my forearm a bit. Got really nasty and oozing

Rob

Jason125m
05-10-2012, 03:40 PM
Put some pants on.... lol. I'm constantly in my bush and i've never even had it. Learn what it looks like and don't touch it.

DasUberKraut
05-10-2012, 03:55 PM
Wash your machine(s) really good too. You may have some residual oil on it.

When I was in the Boy Scouts years ago. I know, I know... (Insert joke here). There were some trailprotrailprotrailprotrailprotrailprotrailprotr ailpro kids that put piles of poison ivy on a fire to make it smoke. About 20 kids went to the ER with blistered lungs. Also one kid wiped his ass with it and had it all over his package too.

rodeofan5656
05-10-2012, 03:55 PM
i live along the Little Walnut River and always wear jeans, but still get it. so wearin pants doesnt always help. ive already had it 3 times in the past 2 months. heres what ive done to get rid of it---

1) once you get home after bein in the brush, take a shower with strong LIQUID dish soap. this will help to get the ivy oil off before you rash up. if you get it even after this, continue to the next steps.....

2) i used to scratch the hell out of it, then wash it with liquid dish soap and as hot of water as i can stand. then dab bleach on it with a cotton ball or Qtip.
3) same steps with the first, but use isopropyl alcohol instead of bleach
X) this suprised the heck outta me! the last time i got it, i didnt have bleach or alcohol. so i took some Canadian Mist whiskey and put it on there. i woke up the next mornin and it was real dry and hadnt spread! my skin heals fast, but not that dang fast! so i did that for a couple more nights, and it disappeared in about one week. the first two took about two weeks each to get cleared up.

its really personal preference on which you wanna use. i think alcohol works faster than bleach, and is alittle better for your skin. WARNING!: puttin bleach, alcohol, or even whiskey on it will burn like a b*tch! but it dries it up pretty quick. be careful with the bleach. if you use too much, youll have a chemical burn under the rash

all this from a 17yr old ;) only cause ive had to live thru it and live where theres so much of it lol

tulsamike3434
05-10-2012, 04:00 PM
I have noticed that lighter skinned people seem to me get it alot worse than dark skinned people.

Dirtcrasher
05-10-2012, 04:03 PM
" Jeez I thought it was safe to roll around in that stuff with my girl" :lol:

All kidding aside, I watched my father get poison ivory or poison oak. He would always use CEMENT, he claimed it would dry up the stuff; Seemed to work well.

He did look like a moron though :lol:

rodeofan5656
05-10-2012, 04:06 PM
to add to my first one, dont just use anti-itch creams. it may feel better, but it will spread the oil and rash. it also causes the blisters to ooze bad, makin it spread even more

and for those people that think itll spread from person to person--- this is only possible if the original oil from the plant comes into contact with another person, from the first individual's skin. once the ivy oil is gone, it cant be spread. it spreads on the first person because of the oil their own blisters make. that oil, if touched to someone else, will not do anythin. so, long story short- the oil from someones rash can ONLY make it spread on them and poison ivy is not "contagious"

jays375
05-10-2012, 05:00 PM
Zanfel will clear it right up,not cheap.Cheaper than going to the doctor.

hoosierlogger
05-10-2012, 05:09 PM
I get it every year and have it most of the summer. I am in constant contact with it every day.

swampthang
05-10-2012, 07:22 PM
I seem to get it about once a year. The best stuff I have found to take care of it is a poison ivy "wash" that washes it away, but that's after you've already got it. It might wash the oil off if you know you've been in contact with it but don't yet have any breakouts.

The product I got was about $30 for the bottle, but absolutely worth every single penny. I washed the poison ivy with it when I was in the shower and it literally just washed the breakout away! I couldn't believe it! The breakouts do come back after a few hours but then you just wash them away again. If you're interested I can take a pic of the product when I get home so you can see what it is. I highly recommend it.

Heck yeah sounds like a awesome product. Yeah if you could find a name of it let me know I'd like to give it a try.

As for the precautions I take I usually try to cover as much skin as I can and not sweat to death. I try not to touch anything in the woods. I try to wash up as soon as possible with cool soapy water. I understand how poison ivy works you get it from the oil from the plant and the oil can transfer into other things. I usually know how it works for me a day or so after I come into contact I start to itch then a day or so later I get the rash then about a week later it drys up.

Is there anything you can rub on before you go into the woods to prevent it?

Howdy
05-10-2012, 09:57 PM
I can pick it like flowers and not have a problem. I honestly can't remember the last time I got a rash from it.
Howdy

tx200m
05-10-2012, 10:04 PM
I get it every now and again. The worst was after Hurricane Ike came thru and put a bunch of crap on the ground I picked up. I never saw poison ivy, but lots of english ivy. Broke me out the worst I have ever been. Any way, the topical stuff did no good for me. The doctor gave me some pills that whooped its ass, dont know what they were called.

Edit: seems to be a lotion sold by Tecnu that works as a preventative.

just ben
05-10-2012, 10:43 PM
I can pick it like flowers and not have a problem. I honestly can't remember the last time I got a rash from it.
Howdy I'm with you. It doesn't affect me at all. I have walked through poison oak and climbed trees covered with poison ivy and I have never had it. Then again I had a friend growing up that only had to come within 20 ft of either and he was a mess. I think from what I know is that it is an allergic reaction and not really the plant itself.

ATCcountryboy
05-10-2012, 10:45 PM
I don't get it, but my brother sure does. He gets it about everytime we go out in the woods. My whole family except my dad gets it.

Thorpe
05-10-2012, 10:52 PM
I have never had a reaction to it as well....

threewheelin-feelin
05-10-2012, 11:21 PM
i use to get poison ivy every summer when i was a kid...till about age 14 i would get head to toe many many times a year. i would even get it in my eyes and mouth..so after many trips to the ER i finally got a doctor with some sence..he put me on prednisone..it cured me in a day ..i am now 24 and i think ive had poison ivy twice since then and i mean very minor cases...my seasonal allergies also never came back after that so that may be something to talk to your doctor about...also i use to swim in a pool when i could get it...the chlorine in the pull helps to dry it up quick...and it wont burn like trying to use real bleach

mymint87
05-12-2012, 02:53 AM
The product I got was about $30 for the bottle, .:postwhore:postwhore:postwhore

read the contents...you'll probably find its nothing more than mineral spirits and soap

paint thinner cuts the oil and dries out the skin....wanna knock it out quick.....?...use lacquer thinner....burns like heck and expect the thinner molecules to absorb in your body and eventually come out your bladder,,,,not the healthiest....but it knocks that chyte out quick....we are talking "singular application" flunkies

:welcome::welcome::welcome::banned::banned::banned :

tri again
05-15-2012, 05:45 PM
Poison oak will actually blow pollen or dust into the air
somehow all it takes for some people, is to be outside on a windy day.

Worse if there's smoke from a brush fire.

My uncle used cement powder too, but I hear oatmeal paste helps.

I wonder if a solvent like brakleen would work or make it worse by
sucking the oils into the skin.
Lots of medications are actually designed to be driven in through the skin with supersolvents.

Another urban legend that may be true:
Some folks have been known to brag and rub poison oak or ivy to show that they don't get it.
That can work a few times but can go gangbusters on the 9th or 11th exposure
or when the immune system has had enough.