PDA

View Full Version : Advice needed 110 project

bnz 41
05-10-2012, 03:40 PM
A couple of years ago I bought my first 3 wheeler (an 82 atc 110). I knew that it was kind of tired when I bought it and it has served me well to teach me the basics of riding etc. and my kids love it. I've since also purchased an 83 185s which I also really enjoy. It's to the point now where I need to decide where to go from here on the old 110 and I would like some input from those who are more knowlegable than I. I really like having a 3 wheeler of this size for putting around our farm and letting the kids enjoy.

The question is do I try to rebuild the 110 engine, replace it with a non-CDI 110 motor that I have (including the wiring headache that that would entail), or do I just use this for parts and find another 90-125 trike to putt around on?
-The 110 has a really tired engine, lots of blue smoke and a leaking head gasket. It still runs well but is hard to start so I'm pretty sure it needs at least a top end. Having never done it before, I'm a little intimidated to tear into that big of a project. Also the exhaust is shot so I would need to replace that as well.
-The extra motor supposedly runs well, but I have not personally seen it run. I paid next to nothing for it (someone's go cart project gone awry). After some research it seems that I would need a point's type wiring harness (no big deal) and a coil. Right? I've been on the look out for a points type coil, and they seem pretty hard to find and expensive based on my searching.
-The third option would be to use the 110 for parts and find a nice running 90-125. They seem to be available for around 300 so that is pretty appealing as well.

What would you do in my shoes. Is my apprehension at tearing into the motor warranted? Is using an ATC 90 wiring harness and coil wired up to the 110 points motor hard to accomplish? What do you think?

Thanks

tulsamike3434
05-10-2012, 03:46 PM
If it were me I would keep the old 110 and just find a nice one on CL and have the old 110 for parts or once you have found a nice 110 you could rebuild the old one at your leisure you can do it! I can point you in the right direction for finding the shop manual.

http://www.oscarmayer.net/atc/manuals/

shortline10
05-10-2012, 04:12 PM
Buy a top end gasket kit and use the top end off the points motor on your 82 cdi motor . Head and cylinder are the same just install your 82 cam and cdi unit in the good head . A good coil for the points motors are very hard to find and the harness between the atc90 and 110 are a little different and can be confusing to match up .

bnz 41
05-10-2012, 04:49 PM
That's an interesting idea shortline. I would want to swap the piston as well right? Surely it comes off at the wrist somehow right? Finally, would it be hard to get the cam switched and timing set if I went this route? The honda service manual unfortunately doesn't show much, would the clymer be better for attempting something like this?

shortline10
05-10-2012, 05:37 PM
Yep its a easy option that's prob the cheapest route . The 82 cam will swap over and the piston pin is held in by a clip .

bnz 41
05-10-2012, 07:12 PM
I think I'll try that. Thanks. I may be back for more help as I go but I really appreciate it so far.