PDA

View Full Version : f 150 clutch help?

200xman123
05-10-2012, 10:00 PM
hey guys i have a 2000 f150 2wd with the 4.2 motor and a 5 speed when i push the clutch it i get pressure but its at like 3 inches from the floor ... also when i put it in gear and let the clutch out it doesnt move at all while running you can shift through all gears with out putting the clutch in ... the little window you can look to see the slave cylender, when i opened it i found a huge mouse nest time for new clutch and slave ? any pointers apreciated , patrick :wondering

El Camexican
05-10-2012, 11:39 PM
hey guys i have a 2000 f150 2wd with the 4.2 motor and a 5 speed when i push the clutch it i get pressure but its at like 3 inches from the floor ... also when i put it in gear and let the clutch out it doesnt move at all while running you can shift through all gears with out putting the clutch in ... the little window you can look to see the slave cylender, when i opened it i found a huge mouse nest time for new clutch and slave ? any pointers apreciated , patrick :wondering

Try F150 Forum http://www.f150forum.com/

bigred44
05-11-2012, 09:13 AM
Did it work fine before and just start doing this all the sudden? Or has the truck been sitting for some time and is now doing this? I would inspect the hydraulic clutch line for leaks and bleed it out adding fresh fluid. After i did the clutch in my 99 f150 i had to bleed the line like 5 different times and it would still act up sometimes if it was really hot out. If you pump the clutch does it build more pressure? Could be a bad master cylinder also. Another forum you can check out is www.v6f150.com

Dirtcrasher
05-13-2012, 10:52 PM
None of this makes sense.

If a clutch is disengaged at all, the truck goes nowhere.

If it doesn't engage fully, the flywheel and clutch disk are not closed fully.

Maybe you have a mouse slave cylinder in there :lol:

200xman123
05-14-2012, 08:17 PM
Ok so the truck was like it when I bought it :\ I put a new master cylinder in it maybe I need to blead it more? When sitting there idling I can put it in and gear with out it anything would this be that I did a bad job bleeding it? I'm so confused ... it doesn't even attempt to move and there's no bad noises like clunks or anything :( this really has me stumped ! I probably do have a mouse in the slave with my luck haha any tricks to get it out if I do with out pulling the trans:\ I was hoping I didn't have to pull it.

skidmorejr88
05-14-2012, 09:43 PM
I would try your best to bleed the system if you just installed a new master. These systems can be a pain in the but to get air out of "ford rangers" being the worst lol. Try to gravity bleed a bit then have some one pump the clutch pedal up and bleed it that way. If that does not help. May be time for a new slave. Let us know how you make out. But hey If you do have to pull it look on the bright side its only 2wd so no transfer case and a bit lighter than a auto tranny. I have put 4 trannys in my 97 f-150 :0

El Camexican
05-15-2012, 12:35 AM
Something is keeping your clutch from making contact with your pressure plate. Bleeding has nothing to do with it and a mouse could not have gotten in-between the clutch and the plate as they should have been together while you were parked, so unless the clutch got stuck open somehow:wondering I'd say someone stole your drive shaft:(

tri again
05-15-2012, 05:54 AM
ok, so the truck sat for who knows how long.

and just to make sure there is NO adjustment for the clutch? like a rod with a nut and socket
Most hydraulics these days simply don';t bother with manual adjustments.
We got our fingers crossed that it's the silliest simple thing imagineable.

Clutch didn't work so you tried master cyl.
But not (or still)
pushing the clutch pedal does nothing at all.
and whether the truck is running or not, you can put it into any gear
and nothing grinds and the truck doesn't even try to move.

I have ever seen the center of a clutch disk disintegrate and cause a complete lack of connection
between the flywheel/clutch disk and driveshaft (trans input shaft)
Sounds like a long shot but if the clutch hydraulics work or not, you should be able
to realize some sort of direct drive connection between the wheels on the ground and the engine.
and also be able to find neutral. Like find neutral in the shift pattern and be able to roll the truck
back and forth.
OR be able to put it in a gear and NOT be able to roll it due to engine resistance.
unless, like I said, if something fairly odd has simply broken the connection.
Stripped disk splines would almost certainly make noise.

Someone has had this happen before.
www.ford-trucks.com has been good to me and I find most everything with the search key.

Just make sure you pick the correct age range or model section as there are lots of
different forums.

Please let us know what you find.

and yes, there is also a chance that the clutch disk is somehow hung up on the shaft and not sliding
or the pressure plate springs simply let go, (or pressure plate fingers are gone)
and have no squeeze pressure to offer.

A better previous owner story would help.
Was is parked in a huge mud puddle after being completely smoked
by someone trying to get it unstuck?

Just think, conceptually, most big rig truck drivers don't even use the clutch when shifting between gears.

atc007
05-15-2012, 12:23 PM
I honestly didn't get exactly what you were saying either.. here's my 1st hand knowledge. Ford had a very bad Firewall problem in the mid,late 80's. 90 ? Maybe. Install a new clutch,do it all right,,no clutch. The firewall would actually PUSH into the engine compartment far enough to lose all the travel. Their fix is a pretty neat kit. they had 2 available. A big one and a small one. I needed the big one : ) Fixed us right up. We bled and bled and bled/. I KNEW everything was right!! Then I talked to Ford tech,and bam,he told me the problem. See if your firewall bulging. But with a mouse nest in the mix,who knows what's going on without digging in.

badass350x
05-15-2012, 02:18 PM
I take it ford went to a external slave cylinder now? They put them in the bell housing there for a while, another one of fords great Ideas! !!

tri again
05-15-2012, 05:39 PM
I honestly didn't get exactly what you were saying either.. here's my 1st hand knowledge. Ford had a very bad Firewall problem in the mid,late 80's. 90 ? Maybe. Install a new clutch,do it all right,,no clutch. The firewall would actually PUSH into the engine compartment far enough to lose all the travel. Their fix is a pretty neat kit. they had 2 available. A big one and a small one. I needed the big one : ) Fixed us right up. We bled and bled and bled/. I KNEW everything was right!! Then I talked to Ford tech,and bam,he told me the problem. See if your firewall bulging. But with a mouse nest in the mix,who knows what's going on without digging in.

I completely forgot about that,
but my newest ford is 92, I think.
Sounds like it has to be easier than pulling the engine or trans.

Makes perfect sense too.

200xman123
05-15-2012, 07:42 PM
Ok guys so yes it makes no noises and when I bought it it had pressure but when I went to push the clutch in fluid exploded all over the floor so I bought a master for it when it stops raining I will try to bleed it .... this really has me stumped haha what a first truck right? Maybe I should call it mystery haha

Dirtcrasher
05-25-2012, 09:17 PM
I just went through this last weekend. My buddy Larry needed help. I explained that it could be the master/slave or line.

Those slave cylinders are hard to get air out of, definitely.

Best way to do it alone is with a mid sized Gatorade bottle and a few feet of clear line that is SNUG over the bleeder

Merely fill the bottle with new fluid ( DO NOT all air in there) as well as the master, KEEP IT FULL)

Then you merely crack the bleeder and watch the air bubbles and old fluid go away.

Do not tighten the bleeder until you have a full reservoir and no bubbles.

The whole issue with hydraulic clutches is they don't build up pressure or force, you have to watch what your doing. I usually sit on a piece of cardboard and watch the tubing and bubbles. Using my left arm on the clutch pedal.

If either the master or slave are bad, it won't last. I buy NAPA parts, no more "LIFETIME GUARANTEE!!" CRAP!!