PDA

View Full Version : 86 250r exhaust coming out of air filter? help!

chevman51
05-12-2012, 10:26 AM
I rode my 250r for about 1000 feet it popped out the pipe and died. I kick and kick and got it started again, runs for less then a minute putters out and dies. I have the air box lid off and I see the exhaust coming out the air filter when I'm kicking now. I first thought it was electrical so I swapped out the coil and CDI box and made no difference. When I kick it over it has weak spark and most the time I can't get spark at all. I don't have a compression tester but it does not have much for compression I can use my hand to kick it over. Before this ride it has been running good. What should I do? Does it sound like I have multiple problems or is there one problem causing all this? Thanks! Tony

shortline10
05-12-2012, 11:13 AM
The 86 250R are pretty hard to see the spark with just the kicker . I remove the spark plug and use my cordless drill on the flywheel nut to check for spark . If you dont have a compression tester place your thumb over the plug hole and have somone kick the bike over for you , if you can hold it their its too low and needs a rebuild you should not be able to keep your thumb over the plug hole without leaking air .

jb2wheels
05-12-2012, 11:15 AM
Exhaust out the intake? Reeds?

KASEY
05-12-2012, 11:16 AM
maybe you chipped a reed,,,,,

4x4van
05-14-2012, 09:24 PM
Yup, the only way to get exhaust out of the airbox is from a broken reed. Unfortunately, the "piece" was likely sucked into the cylinder and did damage there as well. Time for a top end rebuild, and new reeds. If you're really lucky, you'll get away with just a hone and rings, but I doubt it. More than likely you'll need a bore, piston, & rings. Loose pieces of metal, even small, don't get along well with the internals of 2-stroke engines. Sorry.

Xowner
05-14-2012, 09:30 PM
Yup, the only way to get exhaust out of the airbox is from a broken reed. Unfortunately, the "piece" was likely sucked into the cylinder and did damage there as well. Time for a top end rebuild, and new reeds. If you're really lucky, you'll get away with just a hone and rings, but I doubt it. More than likely you'll need a bore, piston, & rings. Loose pieces of metal, even small, don't get along well with the internals of 2-stroke engines. Sorry.

Could have had a set of fiber reeds in it also....

KASEY
05-14-2012, 11:48 PM
funny,,,, he must be phsycic ..... to see all that damage ,,,,, lol!!!!!!

chevman51
05-21-2012, 10:56 AM
You guys were right. I have a broken reed. I have the VForce carbon fiber ones. The peices were stuck in the cage so nothing went down the cylinder. I turn the engine over and watched the piston and it looks good. So what causes a reed to fail? Can I buy new ones and be back in buisness or do I have somthing else going on that will cause the same problem? Thanks Tony

4x4van
05-22-2012, 10:07 PM
funny,,,, he must be phsycic ..... to see all that damage ,,,,, lol!!!!!!
Geez, sorry. I made the assumption that his bike had the stock metal reeds, which would likely have caused all that damage if they broke. Not to mention the fact that he said the bike didn't have much compression; which hints at top end damage. If he can kick a 250R over by hand, I still think he may have some top end damage (or just worn out). Either that, or he has extremely healthy biceps! Excuuuuuuuussssse me for trying to diagnose based on the OP's actual stated symptoms! :) Nothing "psychic" about it.

As for what causes a reed to fail; mostly just fatigue and/or just bad luck.

audioworks04
05-22-2012, 10:41 PM
Yes, you should be able to just replace the reed set and get riding. That is assuming that there isnt another issue somewhere else, but take it a step at a time and see where you get. Keep us updated.

falloutboy
05-23-2012, 01:09 AM
I've heard that over time those carbon fiber reeds chip off. I would stay away from those kind...