PDA

View Full Version : Paul Turner SWINGARM ??

Buster Brown
05-13-2012, 12:35 AM
http://www.ebay.com/itm/85-86-ATC-250R-TRX-250R-Paul-Turner-Aluminum-Swingarm-UNBELIEVABLY-RARE-/270976261188?pt=Motors_ATV_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3f17719c44&vxp=mtr

Ok so I'm learning this stuff like the next guy at times. I see a "Paul Turner" swingarm up for grabs and, hmmm... I thought I had a CAL FAB. ??? Time to remove some decals (LOL).
I don't really care THAT much, but I'd just like to see some documentation of such a "Paul Turner" claim. Someone please school me.

Mine here was bare but polished and crack free when I got it. I had Jody Meadows fab and weld on some upper carrier gussets to mine for added strength on a whim (see my fingers). I planned on using mine on a TRX "rider"/racer replica (MX). It looked prone to cracks back by the carrier in my opinion. Though now, it might of been a mistake to modify, if it is indeed SUPER rare... Oh well, to late now. The guy I bought mine from knew nothing, and simply said it was an aluminum swingarm for a TRX 250R. I assumed it to be similar to a CAL FAB style and jumped on it. (???) The price was right. Mine is (contrary to the ATC_king's description) definitely heavier in weight and gauge compared to my other (original) -1" CAL FAB. It just looked weak at the carrier to me.
These do have their own special characteristics sitting next to a classic CAL FAB. Dimpled cross member, horizontal rail seam, heavier looking welds (thick at some points), and no gusseting from the main rails to the carrier tube (well, mine does now).

146808 146809

146810 146811

KASEY
05-13-2012, 01:17 AM
WELL GOOD FOR YOU... i see nothing wrong with the work you had done to it,,, but i am not a purist!!!

88 Turbo Coupe
05-13-2012, 03:46 PM
Yours looks like brand new. The one on Ebay looks like it went through hell and back. Been repaired in a couple of places plus has more cracks. IMO no matter how rare a item is, to a collector it has to be in mint condition to be worth top dollar. Unless you collect beat up stuff.

MonroeMike
05-13-2012, 07:26 PM
This came up with a search, not sure if it helps you at all.
http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthread.php/142531-Please-help-identify-this-250R-swingarm?

Buster Brown
05-13-2012, 09:19 PM
Well Jez is a trustworthy sorce in my book. Thanks for the link , Mike! I prob'ly won't run this arm hard now. Thanks for all the help and kind comments, guys!
-Andy

atc007
05-14-2012, 08:11 AM
This came up with a search, not sure if it helps you at all.
http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthread.php/142531-Please-help-identify-this-250R-swingarm?

I have NO clue how you do that Mike,,Cris,,I can't even find my own posts in a search. But that is def the same guy. Atcking. I knew of Paul doing this,it was publicized,,that's why I threw you the headsup. Blows my mind,,how many of these were there?? Only he probably knows,, 3-5?? And 2 are now accounted for,,but try and find a rear trim for a 350X ! Amazing.

kleclair
05-15-2012, 07:41 AM
Hey guys,Yes that is my PT on E-Bay as well as my post on here on identifying it.Honestly,I am having second thoughts on selling it.As far as the condition,Yes it may look like its been through hell and back to some but I have to say with some time it could be perfect.I also want to say that yes,it is just over a pound lighter than the minus -1 Cal fab I have listed. Keith

Buster Brown
05-16-2012, 12:46 AM
Keith, thanks for chim'n in. My memory may be fadding on the actual weight. I'd weigh my -1" CAL FAB, but it's at Jody Meadow's as a reproduction reference. Jody also made reference to the "PT" arm's heavy weight. ???
Good luck to you with the sale.

petesatc
05-17-2012, 05:43 AM
Yes paul turner swingers are rare only ever seen a hand full in 10 years.....