PDA

View Full Version : 1984 Honda 200ES Big Red Electric Start...

kb0nly
05-14-2012, 02:43 PM
Hey all! I registered on here a while back but life got in the way and forgot all about it! Finally back...

Anyway, i sold my 85 250 Big Red a while back, it had some problems with the motor and the buyer had a spare, seemed like a good deal at the time as i wasn't riding it much anyway, well things have changed and i am back as the big red bug bit again.

Picking up a 1984 200ES this week, good deal on it, its in nice shape cosmetically, electrically, and mechanically. The only thing wrong with it is the electric starter doesn't work. From what the seller told me the starter is bad, they checked everything else, voltage to the starter from the solenoid when the start button is pushed, etc.

So i am thinking the starter is burned out? I see rebuild kits for these starters online, only about $30 shipped for the kit, but i also see used starters on ebay pretty regular for about $30-$40 as well. The question is, is there a common failure in these? That is, do you think a simple rebuild with new parts would be all it needs? The kits say they come with brushes, o-rings, bearings, bushings, nuts, washers, and brush plate holders if needed.

I have rebuilt starters before for cars and trucks, so i don't think this would be too much different, actually easier since its just essentially a 12v motor and the gearing as all in the engine. And rebuild tips or guides online?

Thanks!

Amater45
05-14-2012, 09:07 PM
I have never heard of a lot of problems from these starters. If you have expericance with starters, I'd get a kit and learn a bit about the inside of one! :D Never hurts to be fresh anyways. My 83 BigRed 200E starter still works, but for using it? I'd need a battery and ignition switch :lol: Welcome to the boards!

kb0nly
05-16-2012, 02:34 AM
LOL... Yeah i think this one will need a battery also, but at least the switch is there! The battery seems a little weak but with the jump box on it you see voltage at the starter terminal when the start button is pushed but the started doesn't turn, doesn't even humm or buzz like i would expect from a stuck starter. So anyway i will have to troubleshoot it a bit more this weekend and if it looks rebuildable inside i will probably just get a rebuild kit and tear into it and freshen it up. I read a few posts online that they can burn out rotor coils so i will get the VOM out and test everything thoroughly first. Hoping its just bad/worn brushes and i can just spin it on the lathe and clean it up.

tri again
05-21-2012, 04:24 AM
LOL... Yeah i think this one will need a battery also, but at least the switch is there! The battery seems a little weak but with the jump box on it you see voltage at the starter terminal when the start button is pushed but the started doesn't turn, doesn't even humm or buzz like i would expect from a stuck starter. So anyway i will have to troubleshoot it a bit more this weekend and if it looks rebuildable inside i will probably just get a rebuild kit and tear into it and freshen it up. I read a few posts online that they can burn out rotor coils so i will get the VOM out and test everything thoroughly first. Hoping its just bad/worn brushes and i can just spin it on the lathe and clean it up.

Last I checked, brush kits are like 30 bucks and new starters are like 45.

The kits I got didn't have bushings either.
IF it died a natural death, you should be able to get one more spin out of it by tapping on it
to drop the brushes just a little, if there's any left.

The search key may show someone who found brushes for a couple bucks
from a vacuum cleaner shop or something they were able to match up.

kb0nly
05-21-2012, 12:51 PM
I bought a kit off eBay that included all the parts for $24 shipped, came with new brushes including the plate with the brush holders and pressure springs to. I cleaned the starter out, was full of debris from the old brushes coming apart. Rebuilt it with the kit, bench tested, she spins up fine and nice and quiet also.

The only problem is i then discovered what killed the starter, the starter clutch behind the flywheel went to heck and its stuck so the engine spins the starter when running, which burned up the brushes in the starter. If you bump the starter enough times with the kill switch in the off position you can get the starter clutch to pop free and then pull start it and its fine.

So i pulled the left cover off and pulled the flywheel, the plungers and springs are shot, i can get those pieces separately but for the cost i found a complete starter clutch on eBay thats in better shape to just replace it. By the end of the week i should have it all back together, new gaskets ordered, a few parts for the recoil starter ordered as well. New battery ready to go in, wiring all fixed up. It's coming together fast.