PDA

View Full Version : rebuilt engine makes a ping noise at just over mid rpm?

baby x
05-15-2012, 01:45 AM
I had the whole engine rebuilt with a weisco high comp. Piston installed could it be i need higher octane gas? Is it ruined if it smokes a little? I paid way too much to have this engine built please help? I heard it and thought it was loose valves at first. But then i heard low octane gas will make it ping?

baby x
05-15-2012, 01:49 AM
The bike ran worse as the day went on

just ben
05-15-2012, 07:42 AM
Is it oil smoke, raw fuel,coolant? what is the machine? what what compression ratio piston? What octane fuel were you running? Any other mods? If it's detonation from low octane fuel get some higher octane fuel in there before you take out the top end, if you didn't already. "ran worse as the day went on"

baby x
05-15-2012, 10:29 AM
Yea ok ill try better gas. Its a 200x im not sure on piston size but its bored one size up with weisco high comp piston new carb off ebay and has a cobra pipe. Yea it seamed to get hot and shut down after ten minutes

HondaRidr
05-15-2012, 02:16 PM
Did you rejet it after the pipe and rebuild?

baby x
05-15-2012, 05:11 PM
No i didn't rejet. Not sure how its done didn't want to break anything. Is it easy to do? I pulled my oil plug and seen sum small flakes of aluminum is that from that low octane gas? It was its first oil change since build. I put fresh 110 and new oil in her and it seems to run way better haven't heard the ping yet but does have a small tick noise. Could that be my valves?

WJG1000W
05-15-2012, 09:19 PM
yes that tick is probably valve check the manual for adjustment

Jason125m
05-15-2012, 09:22 PM
Do not run the machine untill you figure out where the shavings came from.... Are you sure they're aluminum? Whats your valve gap? Sounds to me like they are too tight, wearing down the rocker arms...

Find out your compression ratio, i dont think you need to be running 110...

WJG1000W
05-15-2012, 09:56 PM
with 10.25 92 octane is recommended
with 12:1 100 octane is recommended

baby x
05-16-2012, 12:44 AM
Its headed to the doc tomorrow im sure something isint right. I was out deep in state when i first heard the pinging and had no way to get it out but ride her out and it seemed i couldn't accelerate pmuch without a little ping but i think i may have done just enough damage to the poor 200x. I have had nothing but problems with this thing its mostly all new parts. I need a real bike a 250r

BeersBuds&Mud
05-18-2012, 08:57 AM
when u say u need a real trike u mean a 350x?? i think u had a typo. we known what u meant!!!;)

WilliamJ
05-18-2012, 02:56 PM
Pull the head off and look at the piston and cylinder walls. Post pics of any marks. If it was shutting down it may have been the piston overheating because of the detonation and seizing.
A new piston and rings need time to settle in and even without detonation, if you run it too hard when it’s brand new you can overheat it.
Low octane fuel, lean mixture, high temperatures, too much spark advance, too hot a plug grade will all tend to cause detonation.
Bill