PDA

View Full Version : 85' 250sx need help

Kyle250sx
05-17-2012, 12:17 PM
i have an 85 honda 250SX, When i ride in shallow water and it runs great, but if the water is flowing/running water and reaches the bottom of the engine, barely higher than the footpegs it will shut off, but i can start it right back up but only move like 3ft til it dies again, then keep doin that til i get through the running water. any ideas of why this might be?

Big Mike
05-17-2012, 02:50 PM
Leak in the magneto cover, so it is getting wet and killing spark.

tri again
05-17-2012, 04:51 PM
i have an 85 honda 250SX, When i ride in shallow water and it runs great, but if the water is flowing/running water and reaches the bottom of the engine, barely higher than the footpegs it will shut off, but i can start it right back up but only move like 3ft til it dies again, then keep doin that til i get through the running water. any ideas of why this might be?

So you go slow, water barely hits the footpegs, floods the skidpan,
barely touches the engine and dies. Is it deep enough to throw steam off the engine?

Then you put it in neutral and use the electric start or kick?
and then it runs for a few seconds.?

Does your neutral safety switch and neutral light work ok?

The only electrical connection I can think of is the 2 switches on the bottom of the engine
for reverse and neutral that may be shorting somehow.
The are behind a piece of sheet metal just hiding engine side of the right footpeg.
and sometimes they just get a little loose and oil covered.
Easy to clean and crimp just a little tighter.
2 wires, big single connector that has an R and N on it as I recall.

We run ours through 6-12" of water every time we take them out.

Good to check what big mike said too
and don't forget to check the gear oil in the rear axle since they are known to allow water in.