PDA

View Full Version : 84 YTM 225 DX topend rebuild

trikestar
05-24-2012, 09:57 AM
hey guys just recently found out that my trike had jump time by 3 teeth so i figured it was a good time to rebuild the top end since it smoke bad when i picked her up... my question is how hard is it to rebuild the top end on this bike and is it anything i need to look out for while im there when i start the teardown ? ive already order valves, piston kit and top end gasket set. this will be my 1st rebuild so any help or suggestions anybody could share will be appreciated.

muthey
05-25-2012, 10:11 AM
beyond the normal checking cam for excessive wear, crank bearings for slop, and checking the cam chain tensioner guides it's pretty straight forward with yamaha's.

trikestar
05-25-2012, 09:34 PM
beyond the normal checking cam for excessive wear, crank bearings for slop, and checking the cam chain tensioner guides it's pretty straight forward with yamaha's.ok thx for the info... if you are anybody else can think of anything that might wanna do or look at while im in there feel free to post up.

muthey
05-26-2012, 05:08 PM
definitely check the cam sprockets, as it shouldn't have jumped if everything was working properly. I also recommend getting a new chain as your old one might be just too worn out, also pay extra attention to the crank and rod bearings so that you don't have to pull it apart again later.

trikestar
05-26-2012, 08:47 PM
definitely check the cam sprockets, as it shouldn't have jumped if everything was working properly. I also recommend getting a new chain as your old one might be just too worn out, also pay extra attention to the crank and rod bearings so that you don't have to pull it apart again later.i think the reason why it jump time was bc the cam chain tensioner wasnt adjusted properly and the chain had a lil slop in it... i think ima order a new cam chain tensioner bc the timing chain looks pretty good but im def going to put new crank/rod bearings in there bc i dont wanna pull the top end again no time soon lol... keep the good info comin :D