PDA

View Full Version : Chev Silverado ABS Problem

coolpool
05-29-2012, 09:57 AM
The boys 05 Chev 4x4 had an intermittent blinking ABS light on this winter. I replaced the pads and rotors yesterday (pulsing bad) and now the light is on full time. I did a little net surfing and came up with possibly a dirty/corroded speed sensor. Anyone ever came across this before?

Jerm1179
05-29-2012, 10:28 AM
i had a 98gmc that had the a sensor go....b ut my abs would kick on randomly when braking

briano
05-29-2012, 03:27 PM
More than likely a bad sensor in a front wheel bearing, you have to replace the bearing. Have a shop scan the codes to tell you what bearing to replace.

Mr. Clean
05-29-2012, 03:47 PM
It is the front wheel bearing assembly. Replaced left side late last year and now I need to do the right side. This is a common issue and the new wheel bearing assembly comes with new wiring.

I was just pricing them on the internet. Expect to pay anywhere from $160 to $250 US for the assembly.

RIDE-RED 250r
05-29-2012, 03:55 PM
I too have a Silverado and have experienced that same problem. Sometimes, due to the internal ABS tone ring it is indicative of a wheel bearing beginning to fail. Other times, it is simply corrosion on the hub assembly pushing the sensor probe just far enough away from the tone ring to cause the ABS to activate improperly. You will see where the ABS sensor probe is retained to the hub assembly by a single allen screw. Remove the screw and VERY CAREFULLY pull the sensor probe out of the hub. Be careful not to let debris/grit get inside the hub through the probe hole once it is removed. If the surface of the hub where the flange of the sensor probe rides against it is all corroded clean it up and apply some never-seize. Then re-install the sensor probe. If the problem goes away, then you just fixxed it. If the problem persists you will have to replace the wheel bearing/hub assembly.

Sometimes corrosion pushing the probe just .001 or .002" out of spec is all the problem is and the wheel hub does not need to be replaced.

zmpolaristech
05-29-2012, 04:49 PM
Timken wheel bearing SETS (as in, BOTH SIDES) can be had on ebay for about $300...Local parts stores want that much for 1 timken bearing! Wherever you buy it, make sure it is a Timken. The "other brands" will be lucky to make another 20,000 miles... the stock ones (timkens) last around 100,000 miles.

honda250sx
05-29-2012, 11:19 PM
I agree with Jon 110%! Timken's are the best! Also be aware that Timken is also sourcing some their bearings overseas. Be sure to look for the American made ones. I have done a number of chevy wheel bearings and recently noticed this.

just ben
05-30-2012, 12:02 AM
if you want cheap and easy,pop the hood and pull the fuse. Then again I prefer to not have antilock brakes at all

WIkid500
06-05-2012, 07:55 PM
I agree with Jon 110%! Timken's are the best! Also be aware that Timken is also sourcing some their bearings overseas. Be sure to look for the American made ones. I have done a number of chevy wheel bearings and recently noticed this.

Timken and SKF are both good. Both companies make their wheel bearing units in Mexico. At least Mexico is connected to the US... As others said the wheel speed sensor is corroded and pushing away from the reluctor ring. Clean it up shove it back in and you should be good to stop again. Put anti-seize on that screw for next time. My 03 is doing it intermittently now. I'm sure t's the front right as I already changed the front left bearing...

coolpool
06-09-2012, 07:50 PM
Thanks for the input. I eneded up buying two sets of Timkens from eBay. Hopefully they're the right ones. Saved about $170.00 going this route instead of buying SKF units in town.

honda250sx
06-10-2012, 01:05 PM
Timken and SKF are both good. Both companies make their wheel bearing units in Mexico. At least Mexico is connected to the US... As others said the wheel speed sensor is corroded and pushing away from the reluctor ring. Clean it up shove it back in and you should be good to stop again. Put anti-seize on that screw for next time. My 03 is doing it intermittently now. I'm sure t's the front right as I already changed the front left bearing...

This I know all to well as the CNC machines that I service and repair manufacture a lot of their parts.