PDA

View Full Version : My 85 250R

dirtburner
05-31-2012, 09:08 PM
Here it is.. thought I would show you guys what i got goin on. I am going to pull it the rest of the way apart this weekend. I am anxious to get the cases split and see what it looks like.
I am far enough into it now that I have a couple questions.

First off... the machine has a very nice seat which I would like to not have to re-cover, but three of the four studs that hold the rear latch on are broken off. Has anyone tried to pull the back of a stock seat cover up to replace those bolts and successfully stretched it back over the pan?? Maybe heat it up with the heat gun?

Second. Show me your headlights! anybody using aftermarket lights? I cant find a headlight, I have the plastic but no lens or hardware and I am not about to pay ridiculous money for a light that I may very well screw up because this is going to be a trail machine. Its going to get RIDDEN! a lot on Michigan trails and I tend to be an Idiot from time to time.

And lastly. What weight for oil would you guys recommend 220# rider stock springs and mostly trail riding.

Thanks Gents.

bkm
05-31-2012, 09:41 PM
If you have the plastic headlight bezel for the '85, you can use the lens and guts from a '85 250sx and they are usually pretty cheap on ebay,

dirtburner
06-01-2012, 10:43 AM
cool, I will be looking for 250sx stuff. Thank-you very much

dirtburner
06-04-2012, 09:34 AM
Got the cases split on the R this weekend. Found one good sized problem. The counter ballance shaft has been loose at one time or another. the O.D. on the bearing retainer is worn under sized by prolly half a millimeter and it has had an ear broken off and welded back. Its Shot! so I picked up a nice one on Ebay and its on its way. When i get it i can see actually how bad the case is. It doesnt look to bad, However I was thinking, If it is sloppy I might be able to bring it in to work and bore it oversized, then press a sleeve into the case and re-bore the I.D to size???

Good cases appear to be pretty hard to find for a reasonable price.

Has anyone attempted this repair? Any suggestions or tips?

Thanks
gents.

John

dirtburner
06-05-2012, 04:47 PM
Ok. I really had high hopes for this site. people interested in the same kinds of things and all. I dont know if or how I offended, but if I did... for that I am sorry.

I was truly hoping to hear from some guys that really know these machine and maybe gain some knowledge on the subject. However it appears nobody is interested in helping a guy out that is trying to make one trail ready and ride it again.

Oh well.

No hard feelings I hope

Later...:wondering: :(

Big Mike
06-05-2012, 04:50 PM
Just give them some time. You are posting in the new member section which not all the veterans check all the time. Just give them some time. I dont own and R so I cannot speak to your idea. There are a lot of guys who are scrambling to get things ready for trikefest, so that might explain why there hasnt been any replies. But dont give up on us so easily.

xman2rman
06-05-2012, 06:29 PM
Hi John,

Are you saying your counter balancer bearing is loose in the case half? If so, I'd say your idea of a shim would work if done correctly and the bearing pressed back in. Might also have the case welded very carefully and mill the bearing seat back out to size. Let us know what you come up with, I'm interested in this fix!
Good luck and nice FL!

Scratt
06-05-2012, 10:02 PM
I'm interested in the fix too one of my cases did the same thing where the bearing was getting sloppy but I got a spare case to use instead for the mean time.

TimSr
06-06-2012, 08:06 AM
Bushing will work if there is enough "meat" there to work with. I don't remember. Welding a bead, and grinding it down to fit would be my first try. I haven't tried my propane/aluminum weld rods on cases yet but they work great on other applications.

Mosh
06-06-2012, 12:47 PM
Jason Hall here on the forums has repaired a few R cases where the balancer bearing goes. They bore them out and sleeve it with a proper sized sleeve. He is in Michigan also.
I have peened the cases with a center punch if the play is minimal and used red loctitie, but I dont know exactly how long that will last. The raised area from the peening will make up small tolerances. However, if you bought a used balancer, I am willing to bet that the bearing is bad anyway. Those can be replaced. Just mark the gear to the shaft with a grinder and press the gear off and the bearing slides right off. Just make sure you keep the gear oriented to the shaft for the balancer.(In time).. The bearings are on ebay for like 20 bucks.

As far as your seat, you can remove the entire cover and it will go back on pretty easy as it is formed to the foam. The best way to fix the studs is to press them out of the plastic, then make a steel plate with new bolts welded on, to pass through the pan then set your foam back on. If you are careful, you can also heat the pan with a heat gun and peel the OE studs out, and weld washers to new studs and heat the pan again and slip them back in the molded slots and use a plastic welder to resecure them. But a new bracket with bolts welded to it, is a better repair.