PDA

View Full Version : honda 185s idle issue

adidas123086
05-31-2012, 10:39 PM
My honda runs perfect at half choke but when i take the choke off it dies. bought new carb installed ot and same thing now i can get it to idle with no choke but it doesnt run right. there is a lag in the acceleration and at top speed it sputters. what should i do.

kb0nly
05-31-2012, 11:37 PM
Some thoughts...

Check the fuel system, screen on petcock, inline filter if you have one. If it idles good then its not likely an air leak on the carb mounting.

Also check your valve adjustment. My 84 200ES had a slow response on the throttle and sputtering above half throttle, a quick valve lash adjustment and a new spark plug made it smooth as silk again.

Also check your jets make sure they are the right size in the new carb, and the needle setting as well.

Also check the setting of the pilot/mixture screw.

adidas123086
06-01-2012, 05:43 AM
i will do all of the above over the weekend and get back to you. im new to this though and just bought a farm freash trike because my buddy has a ATC 110 and i loved it. i do have electronic copies of the owners and service manuals though. so should i check and set all of what you listed to what the service manual says??

kb0nly
06-01-2012, 01:04 PM
Yes just go through it one step at a time you will get it. That pilot/mix screw is the hardest to do. I just do what the manual says, get it running and warmed up for a bit then turn the pilot/mix screw on the carb clockwise/inward until it stalls, go slooow and pause a little with each movement giving it time to run and show a difference. When it stalls back the screw back out one full turn and leave it, i have done this on nearly a dozen Honda's now and it always sets them about perfect. Run it for a while once you get it running completely right and then pull the plug and check it. There is a lot of websites out there with good info on how to read a spark plug to see if its running to lean or too rich, a web search will bring plenty results. I think there was a post on here about it as well.

The valve adjustment is easy, just need a little patience and a feeler gauge if you don't have one, other than that a wrench and screwdriver.

adidas123086
06-04-2012, 05:34 AM
ok so i went through everything made a slight adjustment on the valve, repositioned the needle and replaced the spark plug. its idleing really well runs great the only issue i have left is kinda wierd. if you slam down on the accelerator from a dead stop the bike bogs down and will stall. if you give it a little love and get the rpm's up a bit then slam down on the accelerator it takes off and runs like a bat outta hell. is this just more adjusting of the fuel air mix screw?? whats going on. (it runs and idles amazing tho minus that one minor detail. can still wheelie and everything lol.)

kb0nly
06-04-2012, 12:48 PM
Sounds like the mixture might be off just a smidge yet. Check the plug, see if its running to rich or too lean. Is the engine getting really hot? That could be running a bit too lean. The ones that i have dealt with that did that acceleration bog usually needed a little tweak of the mixture screw. Give it a quarter turn out, richer, see if that helps, if not go back to where you started and give it a quarter turn in, leaner. It might even need as little as 1/8th of a turn, but i would try tweaking that mixture screw some more and get it dialed in, sounds like your really close now!!