PDA

View Full Version : Return Of The Atc's.

jakestarz555
05-31-2012, 10:42 PM
Well Its Been Around 30 Years(Close enough) since the ban. I think we need to do something. Get a petition or mabye just start manufacturing American 3 wheelers. Could have a contract or something saying that the company is not responsible for any injury on the product. Also provide more of a warning. I think we just need someone with the balls and the money to start em up again. :)

RIDE-RED 250r
05-31-2012, 11:04 PM
As far as the major manufacturers building them again...not going to happen. But check out TPC Trikes.. They do custom 450r trike conversions and quite nicely at that! We have a few members here that have TPC trikes.

KI4UJO
05-31-2012, 11:09 PM
There's a problem there: In 2008, the CPSC slipped a clause into a bill about lead paint in toys and restricting other dangerous chemicals in toys, banning all 3 wheeled ATV manufacturing "Until an approitate set of standards have been created". That was 4 years ago. I don't think the "standards" will ever be created. So, if you want to make them, either get the CPSC to invent these standards, or somehow get them to repeal the ban. If we really want this done, the entire community has to unite together, and most of the quad community would need to be onboard, and the public would need to be told the truth about the CPSC "reports" and the investigative journalism reports claiming trikes to be posessed killers, when in reality they rigged most of them. Unfortunately, the population is brainwashed to bebeive whatever they are told, and it has to be fact because "THEY" said it. When you ask who they are, no one really has an answer, but still beleives them because they are on TV. If you can get around this, and get the population to support the lifting of the ban, then they can be made. However, no major manufacturer will make them due to all of the liability issues of drunk rednecks with no helmets who have never ridden one, and decide to jump it. Basically, its impossible. Don't get me wrong, I would LOVE to see new trikes in the showroom, but I don't think we ever will. If the ban was lifted, there would be companies lining up to make them, probably started by members here and on 3wheeler.org, but I just don't see it happening.

RIDE-RED 250r
06-01-2012, 03:36 PM
Truth is, even if the ban were to be lifted, they still wouldn't start building them again for a couple of reasons. One being that regardless of the facts, trikes now have a terrible reputation amongst the majority of people thanks to the CSPC and the hatchet-job journalism engaged in to smear them as possessed killers.

Secondly, they would be looking at a major engineering undertaking to basically re-invent a whole new line of 3 wheeled ATV's that could be marketable amongst the current crop of quads. And with todays economy being what it is, Honda for example still hasn't resumed production of the 450r due to low sales. There is no way the big names will take the risk on trikes.

Also, the big manufacturers currently have all chips in on 4-stroke quads for the racing side of it. We can't even get them to bring back the 2-stroke engine for crying out loud because of their investment in promoting the thumpers. Is there a snowballs chance they would ever do the trike thing again? I contend they won't, regardless of the ban status.

It's a sleeping dog that I think is in our best interest to let lie. When was the last time the government took steps toward less regulation and less intrusion into our private lives?? If we awake the sleeping dog that is the CSPS in relation to the whole trike controversy, my money says they will only make it worse on us trike owners.

Lets just be happy there are a few outfits out there like TPC that recognizes there is still a following for trikes and leave it at that.

Squeaky wheel gets the grease.....or removed all together! I'd rather leave it be....

FTR: I have no affiliation with TPC trikes, just really like every one I have ever seen here and elsewhere!

ckb7890
06-01-2012, 03:53 PM
though it would be nice to see a new trike being built, i doubt it would ever happen again if it was to happen you can bet i would be in line to buy one, and not to change the subject, i'm new here but, what is this TPC Trike, where can this be found? You got my attention!!!

Big Mike
06-01-2012, 04:44 PM
www.tpctrikes.com

While I agree with most that having 3 wheeler being made new again would be awesome, I also agree that it will never happen. The manufacturers, as stated, are having a tough time moving what they have already built so for them to even try to think about bring back the 3 wheelers it would a be a huge financial and engineering undertaking that does not make sense in business.

Keepah Rolln
06-03-2012, 05:17 PM
They will never lift the ban. The performance standards of today would make these trikes bad as@ powerful beasts and we would have a repeat of people getting hurt 10 fold compared to the 80's!!!People who grew up on 4 wheelers would go out and buy them just because they can and do I need say anymore...

oldskool83
06-03-2012, 06:14 PM
ill say this again, u want a new 3wheeler you build it yourself. end of story.