PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a torch and need some help

LonesomeTriZ
06-03-2012, 10:19 AM
It is time I invest in a decent torch but I know little about them. I have used them quite often for cutting and brazing but it has been years since. Plus, I did not really know much about them then other than how to use one. Now the time has come for me to start saving up and getting the stuff I need. This is not a tool that I will use daily so I doubt I need the finest and most expensive stuff out there. I do want full size bottles however. So other than the bottles and cart what should I look for? I have heard both sides of buying new and used so what is the real story? What is wrong with buying used stuff? I know I have to stay away from used hoses if they looked cracked and aged. What brand should I look for and what type of maintenance issues should I be aware of? Should the regulators match the rest of it brand wise? What type of gas should I use? I have heard that acetylene is no longer the best to use. I will use it for cutting (all kinds of metal), brazing, (again, all kinds of metals) and heating metal for reshaping, loosening fasteners, and so on.

just ben
06-03-2012, 10:40 AM
things to check for on a used outfit.cracked o'rings diaphragms in the regulator (just make sure they work) cracked or burnt hoses.brand matching is not a big deal just avoid anything with a made in china sticker on it. I recommend using a torch head that takes victor style tips since they are easy to find. Some of the other types can be a nightmare to find.I use propane only because I had only one gas cylinder and didn't wanna buy another and I already had a couple extra gas grill type propane cylinders. You just have to change to a propane tip. You are also suppose to use hoses approved for propane since the acetylene hoses will deteriorate over time but will take ten years for that to happen. also if you get used tanks make sure that they can still be filled or exchanged. edit... you won't be cutting too many types of metal with a torch set up. if you want to be able to cut stainless or aluminum you will need a plasma cutter but you can't do any brazing or heating with that.

LonesomeTriZ
06-03-2012, 10:43 AM
Is propane cheaper to fill? Are the tips and hoses cheaper and do they have the same or better life span? Also, how does propane compare to acetylene with comsumption? Will one use more or les to do the same job?

El Camexican
06-03-2012, 10:48 AM
"All kinds of metal"? A flame torch will only cut ferrous metals (carbon steel). If you want to cut non-ferrous metals you need a plasma cutting machine which does not have a flame per say so you can’t heat with it.
I’d spend the extra money on a Victor kit. They aren’t that much more and you’ll never regret it. Everyone makes spare parts and accessories for Victor torches as well. There are some cheap kits out there and as someone who has gone to China to do Q.C. on them I can tell you they are hit and miss. I never found a factory that I was comfortable with dropping a P.O. on. If you do go that route (Made in China), buy it at a reputable welding shop and keep the receipt.
Make sure you have flash back arrestors installed at the torch. NEVER oil your fittings, don’t even touch the threads with your bare hands. Always open your oxygen bottle all the way and only open your acetylene bottle one turn. Always shut the valves when not in use. Keep the bottles vertical when in use, especially the acetylene and if you have to lay the acetylene bottle down be gentle, say thing when lifting it back up.
Always tie your bottles up, or store them in a good cart. Use the proper wrench to tighten the fitting (spend the money on a wrench), don’t use an adjustable wrench. Check for leaks with soap and water.
As far as better gases than acetylene goes I know some are more economical, but I like acetylene. Maybe it’s because the rigs I’ve used with other gases weren’t set up right, but I learned with acetylene and I’m sticking with it.

just ben
06-03-2012, 10:55 AM
propane is cheap if you have the tank refilled,the cylinder exchange at gas stations ect. is a rip of IMO but is conveinent in a pinch. If you run the gases at the same pressures the consumption will be the same. but propane can be run at higher pressures. The propane hoses are more expensive.I didn't bother getting them I just used the hoses that cam with the kit since the hoses will probably need to be replaced because of too many repairs before they will wear out from using propane.

LonesomeTriZ
06-03-2012, 10:56 AM
I used the ter all kinds of metals as a just in case thing. I never know what kind of projects I will get into. That was a lot of good information though. You summed up some of the things I was wondering.

LonesomeTriZ
06-03-2012, 10:57 AM
propane is cheap if you have the tank refilled,the cylinder exchange at gas stations ect. is a rip of IMO but is conveinent in a pinch. If you run the gases at the same pressures the consumption will be the same. but propane can be run at higher pressures. The propane hoses are more expensive.I didn't bother getting them I just used the hoses that cam with the kit since the hoses will probably need to be replaced because of too many repairs before they will wear out from using propane.

Thanks for clarifying.

fabiodriven
06-03-2012, 12:24 PM
Just so you know, you technically CAN cut stainless with an oxy/acetylene. It is not easy, and the results are not pretty, but you can cut it if you have to. Probably more on something that you're just trying to rip apart and really don't care about. Just throwing that out there. I've used oxy/acetylene for years but it's never my own setup. I bought an old used setup at a swap meet a few years ago but I've not used it yet.

Ben, how does the propane compare to oxy/acetylene as far as cutting and heating things goes? I didn't know you could do those things with propane. I'm very curious about this.

LonesomeTriZ
06-03-2012, 12:35 PM
Welding and cutting SS is something I eventually want to do as well.

El Camexican
06-03-2012, 12:38 PM
[QUOTE=fabiodriven;1130690]Just so you know, you technically CAN cut stainless with an oxy/acetylene. It is not easy, and the results are not pretty, but you can cut it if you have to. Probably more on something that you're just trying to rip apart and really don't care about. Just throwing that out there.QUOTE]

My experience with attempting to cut SS with a flame has resulted in more of a "melting" effect rather that cutting and yea it can be done, but YUCK!. Something to do with there being no iron content in SS. Did you know that you can cut thick steel with pure oxygen? Once the steel has enough heat in it (thats what the gas is needed for when cutting) you can shut it off and cut with just the O2.

LonesomeTriZ
06-03-2012, 12:40 PM
I would like to see that.

just ben
06-03-2012, 12:49 PM
Ben, how does the propane compare to oxy/acetylene as far as cutting and heating things goes? I didn't know you could do those things with propane. I'm very curious about this. as far as cutting I see no difference . as far as heating propane can actually heat better depending what you are doing since you can use a bigger rose bud becuase of the higher pressures you can run. If you try to run acetylene at higher pressures the compounds of the gas separate,Thats the reason for only opening the valve 1/4-1/2 turn. I used to know alot more about all this but not doing it on a daily basis for work in the past 10 years I forgot alot of what I knew

El Camexican
06-03-2012, 12:50 PM
I would like to see that.

Best bet would be at a steel mill that cuts billet. It needs to be heavy (like 4"+) and I don't think the human hand is steady or smooth enough to pull it off.

Re: Welding SS, if you can weld carbon steel you can weld SS, but rod/wire selection is critical. You need to know what your base materials are as there are many kinds of SS and they need specific rods in order not to crack when welded. For most SS to carbon steel connections you'd use 309 SS rod/wire and the standard 304 SS to 304 SS uses a 308 rod/wire. The local weding shop guy will be able to set you up, but you have to know what you are welding before you ask. (your polarity setting may be different as well on a stick machine)

LonesomeTriZ
06-03-2012, 12:51 PM
That is the problem i am having. I learned a lot by doing it all the time. But I have not done it in so long I have forgotten most of it.

LonesomeTriZ
06-03-2012, 12:52 PM
SS and alumun are my goals. I figured if I can cut and weld that stuff well, steel will be easy to master as well.

El Camexican
06-03-2012, 01:08 PM
SS and alumun are my goals. I figured if I can cut and weld that stuff well, steel will be easy to master as well.

Start with steel. Its cheaper to work with in all aspects. Aluminum is "interesting" stuff to work with. I can TIG weld it, but now all I have is a MIG unit and I don't feel like investing the $600+ to set it up for aluminium as I've never MIG welded it before and don't really have a need... yet.

LonesomeTriZ
06-03-2012, 01:10 PM
Oh that I am. I already have several steel projects well under way. But I want to get into aluminum and SS for my ATV biulds.

fabiodriven
06-03-2012, 03:01 PM
Welding stainless isn't tough at all once you're used to it. You'll pick that up in no time.

LonesomeTriZ
06-03-2012, 03:03 PM
Fist I need the right tools. Once I get a good torch I will look into either a plasma cutter or a tig.

jrwebb8324
06-03-2012, 07:06 PM
I run a propane torch in my shop. I have a 100lb bottle and it costs me about 50 dollars to fill and it lasts a long time. I use the torch all the time for heating and cutting with no problems.

LonesomeTriZ
06-04-2012, 08:05 AM
Did the different tips or hose cost any more than the other?

jrwebb8324
06-04-2012, 02:17 PM
I use acetylene hoses on mine. the tip cost around 15 I believe.

LonesomeTriZ
06-04-2012, 02:19 PM
I am wondering if once I get a good rig going will it require constant up grades or purchases.

jrwebb8324
06-04-2012, 02:26 PM
what do you mean by doing upgrades?

brapp
06-04-2012, 02:29 PM
i have a decent torch mines a smith but the victor brands are both good, just stay away from harbor freight you cant get diffrent tips for them. and the grill bottles work just fine,

LonesomeTriZ
06-04-2012, 03:33 PM
I was just wondering if I am looking at future costs.

I did not even think to look at HF.

jrwebb8324
06-04-2012, 06:15 PM
I can't think of any furture costs you would have if all your gonna do is heat and cut. a rosebud would be handy for heating large areas but I get by pretty good with the setup I have. I use it several times a week.

LonesomeTriZ
06-04-2012, 07:52 PM
I plan to braze as well.

just ben
06-04-2012, 08:09 PM
I plan to braze as well.If you buy a kit it should come with a brazing tip. There is no upgrades,It has been the same set up since day one. the only expences will be tips,gas,hoses maybe O-rings over time. If a regulator fails it can be repaired but it is only a couple bucks more for a new one.the tips are about 15 bucks no matter what gas and you will want a couple different ones. Each thickness of steel requires a different size for the best cut. With the right tip a gas torch can cut almost as clean as a laser. Probably not by hand but a steady hand can still make a nice cut

jrwebb8324
06-04-2012, 09:18 PM
I plan to braze as well.If you buy a kit it should come with a brazing tip. There is no upgrades,It has been the same set up since day one. the only expences will be tips,gas,hoses maybe O-rings over time. If a regulator fails it can be repaired but it is only a couple bucks more for a new one.the tips are about 15 bucks no matter what gas and you will want a couple different ones. Each thickness of steel requires a different size for the best cut. With the right tip a gas torch can cut almost as clean as a laser. Probably not by hand but a steady hand can still make a nice cut

well said.

Dirtcrasher
06-04-2012, 11:43 PM
I have a set that runs about 3-4' high; They last me a loooooooong time. 400$ - NEW!!

Figuring the acet and oxy just takes a bit.

I need a TIG welder for aluminum and other metals. Very expensive!! You,ll never get good results with a torch.

Torches are for heating crap up, bending metal and braising.

Thats all.......

LonesomeTriZ
06-05-2012, 07:56 AM
I see, thanks.