PDA

View Full Version : trike wont start

cds13
06-05-2012, 11:58 AM
So I finally got an 83 Honda 200s with what I was told an 84 200s motor (not sure how to check to be sure). I have been trying to get it running for the past 3 days an so far have cleaned the carb and replaced the plug. It has spark fuel and compression but still wont start. I need some ideas on what to check next.

I have noticed that fuel was going into the air cleaner, is this something normal?

tri again
06-05-2012, 03:13 PM
So I finally got an 83 Honda 200s with what I was told an 84 200s motor (not sure how to check to be sure). I have been trying to get it running for the past 3 days an so far have cleaned the carb and replaced the plug. It has spark fuel and compression but still wont start. I need some ideas on what to check next.

I have noticed that fuel was going into the air cleaner, is this something normal?

Float needle is probably leaking.
Sure doesn't take much to get them to leak.
I clean the seat with a Q tip and some toothpaste ad make sure the tiny rubber tip
is ok and not coated with crud.
and check the teeny tiny spring loaded plunger on the float needle.

spark and fuel and no run?
They'll usually run with an overflowing carb f you time it perfectly and the plug isn't wet.

oh, and it CAN catch on fire so leave that trike to the crazies like me.

if normal fuel and spark, the spark advancer may be stuck in the advanced position.
it's a spring loaded plated under the cover that says 'cdi' (i think)

click on
service manuals

we're also assuming that the valves and timing are set ok and it has decent compression.

Let us know what you find.

MonroeMike
06-05-2012, 10:08 PM
Honda didn't make a 83 200s (84-86 only).

You can enter your VIN here.
http://atcvin.webs.com/

You can check the engine serial number here.
http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthread.php/141286-Honda-Engine-Serial-Numbers

cds13
06-06-2012, 01:55 AM
Float needle is probably leaking.
Sure doesn't take much to get them to leak.
I clean the seat with a Q tip and some toothpaste ad make sure the tiny rubber tip
is ok and not coated with crud.
and check the teeny tiny spring loaded plunger on the float needle.

spark and fuel and no run?
They'll usually run with an overflowing carb f you time it perfectly and the plug isn't wet.

oh, and it CAN catch on fire so leave that trike to the crazies like me.

if normal fuel and spark, the spark advancer may be stuck in the advanced position.
it's a spring loaded plated under the cover that says 'cdi' (i think)

click on
service manuals

we're also assuming that the valves and timing are set ok and it has decent compression.

Let us know what you find.
Turns out the motor is an 83 185s and the frame is an 83 200.
Well it ran for a little while last year but it has sat for the past 8 months. I checked the float needle and it looks fine the rubber isn't all chewed up nor was
there any gunk built up on it. My friend who knows something about these re-set the timing last year after it started not working. The plug does get wet after I try to start it a few times. How would I know if the spark advancer is stuck or not? My friend said he thinks the CDI box is bad, but would I get spark still if it was bad?

TimSr
06-06-2012, 08:02 AM
Time to try a tow start.

Matrix
06-09-2012, 09:30 PM
Look in the manuals for ratings on the CDI box and other electrical components if you want to make sure there working. You will need an meter (mutli meter if you don't know what I mean) and a manual. Testing is very easy. Someone will pop in with the manual link, I can never find them. :(

kb0nly
06-09-2012, 10:30 PM
If you have spark the CDI isn't likely to be bad, but what quality of spark are you getting? Is the spark yellowish in color or is it a nice blueish or white spark? A weak spark might be enough to fire the plug when testing but when put under compression in the cylinder its not enough to fire.

If you have a good spark and you got the fuel problems sorted out so its not flooding anymore, i would suspect timing, but if you have a compression tester test that as well to rule out any other problems such as a bad/stuck valve, etc.