PDA

View Full Version : "PROJECT BIKE"-1984 Honda VF750 Sabre-$300

Lord Letto 20
06-06-2012, 10:50 AM
http://kitchener.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-motorcycles-street-cruisers-choppers-PROJECT-BIKE-W0QQAdIdZ385846338

1984 HONDA VF750 SABRE. MILEAGE UNKNOWN. MOTOR CRANKS OVER FREELY. WAS RUNNING LAST YEAR UNTIL OWNER DECIDED TO TAKE CARBS OFF AND APART TO CLEAN. GOOD PROJECT OR PARTS DONOR. HAVE KEYS AND OWNERSHIP.

Replyed and asked if he had pictures of it (never had pics in the ad at the time) and offered $150 Cash, he replyed back and told me they added pics to the Ad and $200 cash they would take for it. Discuss, is it a good relibile bike or not, would it be ok for a beginner or for someone with more experence? anyone here with experence have a idea why it won't run after carb was removed and cleaned?

cbx1170
06-07-2012, 09:24 AM
Top 3 things: carb clean on v4 Honda is a job.... slow jet/choke/idle circuit tuff to get clean.... Springs, main jets, emulsion tubes, needles Fronts diff from Rears, if wrong ya gotta pull em again, all ya need is float bowl o-ring and maybe mix screw o-rings to clean. mix screw very easy to get at even on bike. I got lucky just cleaned mine on bike w/Yam carb cleaner worked fine. Electronic dash... even has its own service manual from Honda. Most important is camshaft lobes / rocker arms. most all Honda v4 of this time period had cam probs scoring pitting I pull valve covers before offer $$ many bulletins and there is a tool and spec for lash for each and every engine/model. If cam bad noise slowly keeps rising w/rpms. 4 cams 8 double armed rockers. Heads usually OK. Cam chain tensioner if bad will make noise up to 3k then get a little quieter. I worked on these all thru 80's 90's. I have 2 v65's and a full extra set of near perfect heads cams rockers valves cam ch tensioners sitting next to them. Battery spark plugs good oil + filter blah blah..... I would try to get running even with start fluid and hold throttle open to hear engine run for a little bit.